Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where do we stay in Waikiki?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-do-we-stay-in-waikiki-41575/)

Sandy Apr 4th, 1999 06:08 PM

Where do we stay in Waikiki??

We will be in Honolulu for 3 days in June and are looking for a moderately priced conveniently located hotel. After Honolulu we're going to Maui for a week so we're not that interested in spending much time on the beach in Waikiki - maybe just a stroll at sunset on the beach. Our "must do's" in Oahu are (1) visit Pearl Harbor (2) visit the Polynesian Cultural Center and (3) drive around the island or take TheBus or an organized circle tour of the island. If time permits we would like to visit the Iolani Palace, walk to the top of Diamond Head and visit a less crowded beach such as Kailua. We hope to not have to rent a car all 3 days we are there so we would like to stay close to the bus line. Someone has recommended the Outrigger Islander Waikiki at 270 Lewers St. and we've been quoted a rate of $108 per nt. w/our Entertainment Book discount. Has anyone stayed here before? Is it a good location for the above listed activities? Are there other hotels in the same price range you would recommend over this one? Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks <BR> <BR>

Emily Apr 4th, 1999 09:39 PM

We stayed at the Outrigger East, about 2 blocks from the beach. We had a kitchenette suite and used our Entertainment Book -- it cost us $60 a night, 2 years ago. TheBus stop was right across the street. We had a very enjoyable time for 4 days; the accomodations were great, we did most of the things that you mentioned, and we never bothered renting a car.

annemarie Apr 5th, 1999 03:31 AM

I agree, I would save my money for Maui. I don't actually know what your budget is but look into the Sheraton MoanaSurfrider. If it is too pricey, get the entertainemnt rate at either the Pacific Beach or the Hawaiian Regent. Your properties will be fine and your location will be excellent. Feel free to email me for further info. Annemarie

Sandy Apr 6th, 1999 04:15 PM

<BR>Just bringing this back to the top. Hope someone will reply.

Jon Apr 6th, 1999 06:24 PM

You are doing the ideal trip, with just enough time to see the main highlights of Oahu, and then go to Maui, which is far better! On Oahu, we like the Hyatt. It is more expensive than the Outriggers, but better view and closer to beach. <BR>LOTS more info about MAUI restaurants, hotels, activities, sights, etc, at this web site: <BR>http://www.mauihawaii.org <BR>(note it ends in org, not com) <BR>Jon <BR>

Gianni Apr 10th, 1999 03:52 PM

Just coming back from Waikikii. <BR>I staied in Waikikii Grand (hotel), 60$ per night; the room isn't anything special but it is really close to the beach.I spent two nights at the Polo Inn at ALA Moana boulevard: the same! <BR>A tip: always try to bargain a better price, they are still almost empty and they need to sell rooms so... <BR>Ciao! <BR>

Linda Apr 10th, 1999 06:08 PM

I agree on Outrigger East..good location, easy to walk most places on Waikiki..Moana very expensive, but worth a visit & if they are still giving tours, it is worth it. <BR>If Outrigger East doesn't work, look into Outrigger Maile Sky..but not the Islander..Enjoy, I miss HNL & Kona.

Brenda Apr 11th, 1999 01:51 PM

Hi, <BR>I'd vote for the Moana Surfrider if in your budget. If not, call Outriggers main number and price various properties they have in Waikiki. They have a large selection and none is more than a few blocks from the beach or major bus routes. You might also try calling Aston Resorts to see what they have. There is no doubt you can get a bargain in Waikiki if you look around and make some calls. Good luck and have fun. <BR>

natalie Apr 17th, 1999 07:50 PM

We just returned from spending four days in Maui and four in Oahu. Frankly, we prefered Oahu. Yes, Waikiki is commercial, but there are so many other things to see and do on the island. The weather in Maui didn't cooperate - our kayak outing was cancelled due to rough surf, we had a hard time finding places to snorkle because of the surf, and visability at the summit of Haleakala was zero. Don't get me wrong, we still had a great time doing other things. But, flexibility is the key! <BR>On Oahu we stayed in a suite at the Outrigger Waikiki. It was beach front on the corner facing Diamond Head, and on the 16th floor which is Voyagers Club level. Both the room and the service were great! The location of the hotel (between the Royal Hawaiian and the Moana Surfrider) wasn't too shabby either. I would highly recommend it. <BR>In Oahu, don't miss Hanauma Bay - it was the highlight of our trip. <BR> A few of the things we enjoyed: <BR> Maui: Sunday brunch at The Kapalua Bay Club Gardenia Room, driving through the up country and Tedeschi Winery, swimming at the beaches of Wailea, spotting a whale, visiting La Perouse Bay, and watching the sun set from West Maui. <BR> Oahu: Sunrise walks along Waikiki, sampling local food such as shave ice and plate lunch, hiking Daimond Head, boogie boarding at Kailua, the Pali look-out, watching surfers at tne North Shore beaches, drinking fresh coconut milk from coconuts bought at a roadside fruit stand, a drive through the pinapple and coffee fields of central Oahu, falling asleep to the sounds of the ocean, and, of course, Hanauma Bay (we went twice!). <BR>I can't wait to go back. Good luck, and have fun!

Paula May 12th, 1999 01:57 PM

It has been some time since I have been to Honolulu, but I stayed at the (then called) Waikikian. It is situated next to the Rainbow Hilton. Very small garden hotel on the beach the lagoon is partly theirs, Not terribly expensive and not like any hotel. Stay in one of the garden suites, not the tower.

Nurse Reb May 12th, 1999 10:34 PM

Completely agree with Natalie's letter above about Maui, etc. Oahu has so much to see besides Waikiki. Outrigger has two hotels directly on the beach, the Waikiki which Natalie mentioned, and the Reef, which is at the end of Waikiki nearer to the Hilton/Fort de Russy , a bit less centrally located--about a 10 minute walk along the beach to get to the central part of Waikiki(nr the other Outrigger.) Both have excellent Entertainment Book rates. Make sure to drive over the Pali Highway to the lookout, and over to Kailua, then up the coast. My heart goes out now to all the people affected by the tragedy this week at Sacred Falls.