Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Where did you stay in Kauai? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/where-did-you-stay-in-kauai-351552/)

dayandryan Apr 28th, 2008 04:19 PM

Where did you stay in Kauai?

We are mainly looking to relax, hike, and just enjoy the beautiful island. We're traveling with an infant and don't have a specific budget. Where would you recommend staying? Also, what activities did you enjoy while you were there? Any restaurant recommendations too would be appreciated.

Kerry392 Apr 28th, 2008 04:51 PM

We stayed at the Marriott in Lihue. It was a great location! The pool area is beautiful as are the grounds.

While in Kauai, we did a lot of hiking. We also did a zip-line tour. I have heard the boat tours of the NaPali coast are amazing. We took a ride up to the top of Waimea Canyon and enjoyed the lookouts. We also made a stop at Poipu Beach. A stop at Kauai coffee was also fun.

We liked Garden Isle Barbeque for Chinese and Kintaro for Japanese.

You will love this island! It is so beautiful and laid back.

iamq Apr 28th, 2008 05:36 PM

We always stay in vacation rentals in Hanalei and love it.

aloha Apr 28th, 2008 07:18 PM

Hanalei Colony Resort, way up on the north shore. Very relaxed and really close to Ke'e, Makua (often called Tunnels) Beaches. The beach right at HCR is very pretty but not really good for swimming. Limahuli Garden is nearby and a great place to see native plants and ancient agriculture.

Favorite activity: walking on the beach, watching the surf.

MomDDTravel Apr 28th, 2008 08:23 PM

Marriott in Lihue - I thought it was okay. Not crazy about the location. I like the north shore area better myself. It was free though and it was Kauai :))

KarinNp Apr 29th, 2008 06:01 AM

We stayed at Kauai Beach Villas (next to the Hilton) in Lihue. It has a cental location and is right on the beach.

The unit in which we stayed had a washer and dryer, with an infant a huge plus. The bedrooms had air conditioning which is not so with many condos on Kauai.

We did Captain Andy's tour of NaPali Coast .... amazing. Waimea Canyon is a must, we found that it was best to drive to the top of the canyon then stop at lookouts on the way down .... due to the restaurant and visitors center closing at 4:30.

lindafromNJ Apr 29th, 2008 07:00 AM

We are going in October and are staying at the Kauai County Inn. It is small Inn - only 4 rooms in Kapaa which is midway between North and South. It is up in the mountains but only 10 minutes or so from the beach. It is also very reasonable and very clean.

scottvan Apr 29th, 2008 07:47 AM

Unlike most of the folks who've responded so far, we stayed at a house in the southwest of the island, in Kekaha, near the road that goes up to Waimea. Pros: just across the street from a nearly deserted beach (in March, at least), easy access to similarly secluded/deserted Polihale state park (amazing beaches), easy access to Waimea canyon, very dry weather, no crowds, not far from Poipu area, watched whales breach from our balcony while eating breakfast. Cons: had to drive all the way around the island to get to Hanalei, etc.; also, not as many typical tourist services type things. I'd do it again in a minute, but would also like to try one of the more "popular" locales.

The Island is paradise.

auntiemaria Apr 29th, 2008 09:30 AM

With that infant, you'd probably appreciate air conditioning, a kitchen, and a washer/dryer in your unit...yes?

Much as I objected to its construction, I've gotta admit that the new Waipouli Beach Resort really is lovely -- and it includes the above-mentioned amenities. Two swimming pools (one is adults-only), outdoor bar & restaurant, salon & spa, oceanfront jogging path, beautifully landscaped grounds. Only negative is that their beach is too dangerous for swimming. Great view though -- and because they installed a signal intersection where the resort meets the highway, it's easy to get in/out.

Just across the highway -- via pedestrian crosswalk -- is Safeway (for groceries -- good deli, too), Long's (drugstore), Starbucks, Jamba Juice, Papaya's (natural food grocery), and an assortment of shopping and budget-priced eateries.

The resort is on the windward side of the island, in Kapa`a:
http://www.waipoulibeachresort.com/

auntiemaria Apr 29th, 2008 09:40 AM

Forgot to add that this is a timeshare resort -- rentals available from these vacation rental professionals:

http://www.remaxkauai.com/waipouli/
http://www.outriggerwaipoulibeachcondo.com/
http://www.kauaivacationrentals.com/static/449.html

volcanogirl Apr 29th, 2008 09:53 AM

We stayed at the Marriott in Lihue mainly because we had Marriott points. It's a nice enough hotel with a gorgeous pool. We really enjoyed the beaches on the North Shore and at Poipu though.

lvk Apr 29th, 2008 09:59 AM

We stayed at the Hanalei Bay Resort, in a 3 bedroom condo. We prefer condos when traveling with our kids. Having a kitchen and washer/dryer is a must for us.

We were there in the summer, the ideal time of year for the North Shore. It might not be ideal for you if you will be there in the late fall or winter.

Pros: Great views, 2 restaurants on site, nice pool, close to North Shore attractions.

Cons: Have to walk down a steep hill to the beach, which is shared with the Princeville Resort. I understand that the Princeville Resort in undergoing a remodel right now, so that may also have some negative impact. The parking lot is set in the back of the property--not so convenient for schlepping groceries, etc. back to the condo.

KarinNp Apr 29th, 2008 11:17 AM

When searching for a condo I always ask about a in unit washer and dryer and I have been told I am the only person that asked.

lvk thanks for saying a washer dryer is a must. We stay in Hawaii for 2 weeks each Feb/March and I hate to drag all that dirty laundry home. (no I am not chained to the laundry just put a load in each evening) Not to mention I will always get my favourite capris dirty!

lvk Apr 29th, 2008 12:45 PM

I with you, KarinNp. We are light packers and an active family. At the end of a typical day we either have muddy hiking shorts, sandy beach towels, horsey-smelling jeans, sweaty tennis/golf/biking clothes, etc. Nothing wrong with putting in a load and sitting out on the lanai with cocktail. :)

Kal Apr 29th, 2008 01:13 PM

I usually get a load on while sitting on a lanai. ((D))

We're Islander fans because old habits are hard to break and it's within stumbling distance to a lot of good places.

Throw your clothes in the laundry and go have one of Karen's mai tais at The Sand Bar.=P~

MBnancy Apr 29th, 2008 02:45 PM

We like the Hyatt Resort in Poipu, and have traveled with an infant every year, and this summer she will be four when we go.

There is a Laundry room for guests, with washers and dryers available, an empty mini frig in room for juices, food, etc. A huge complimentary buffet breakfast with Sunshine Package, so you don't have to worry about cooking.

The pools are fantastic, with a lagoon and beach for little ones.

Just another option.

Chuck55 Apr 29th, 2008 08:02 PM

It's really a personal choice and what you are interested in.
If you want to explore the whole island I'd stay on the East side. Kauai Beach Villas have some privately owned condos you can find on VRBO. A 1 bedroom oceanfront is about $175 night. It's just a 45 minute drive to the north shore-Princeville, or about the same for the south shore-Poipu.
For a true Hawaiian experience Hanalei Bay Resort (HBR) in Princeville has nightly entertainment, one of the best sunset views on the island at Bali Hai Rest., 2 large tropical pools, and best of all for us, close to some of the best hiking on the island.
Poipu is also a popular destination. It's dryer but a lot busier and currently the south shore is tore up due to a residential building complex that will take 3 years to complete. The traffic was a nightmare with street closures!!
If you look at one of the resorts that have, hotel rooms, timeshares, and private owners, check out which room before hand. Even HBR has some shappy rooms with no view. Most private owners that advertise on VRBO have a website for you to checkout the view and interior and usually much cheaper than going through the front desk.
Hope this helps and yes, I am one of those private owners that have spent lots of money to make sure guest get what they pay for.
http://www.condosinkauai.com/

auntiemaria Apr 29th, 2008 10:58 PM

FYI to all:

Hanalei Bay Resort's restaurant has been closed since 2007. There have been frequent rumors that it is re-opening...but it's still not open.

lvk Apr 30th, 2008 05:22 AM

Thanks for the update, Auntie. Is that the Bali Hai Restaurant that closed? (Aside from the views, no great loss there, IMO) Is the Happy Talk lounge still open? If so, does it still serve food and have live entertainment?

Chuck55 Apr 30th, 2008 06:01 AM

Happy Talk is still open and serves food and has live nightly entertainment. The Bali Hai is scheduled to open May 1, 2008! We'll be returning May 2 so I'll know for sure once we arrive.