Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where are the nicest PARKS and SPAS in Orlando?

Apr 17th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

I'll be in the area of Orlando around Universal Studios in May, and I want to be able to get away from the adventure park atmosphere for a couple of days. Where are there beautiful parks around there? Also, anyone have suggestions on a spa where I can get a pedicure or a massage?
Apr 18th, 2003, 05:03 AM

Canyon Ranch has opened a beautiful spa at the Gaylord Palms Resort. My Orlando friends say great things about it.
Apr 18th, 2003, 04:47 PM

If you're going to be near Universal Studios, the Portofino Bay Hotel has a wonderful spa.
Apr 19th, 2003, 06:45 AM

Disney has its Epcot International Flower and Garden festival during the time you are there. It is better than you might think.

I'd drive to Bok Tower which is southwest of Orlando by 45 minutes or so. It is tranquil and very lovely. You might be there a little late for the spring flowers but it is wonderful all the time.

You are too early for the Ritz Carlton spa that is opening in July. I think the Portofino suggestion might be good. LMF
Apr 19th, 2003, 05:30 PM

No question for a beautiful park, old world atmosohere, great shops, restaurants go to Park Avenue in Winter Park. About 35 min north east of the Disney area. Try the Bouganvilla Clinique for a fabulous spa experience-right off Park Ave. You will forget you are in Orlando, i can answer any questions for you, i live here!
Apr 20th, 2003, 03:33 AM

Hey, EZ Valet : I love Winter Park. We haven't been for two years....any great new restaurants or shops to go to? It is a great residential community and the downtown area is charming and very un-Orlando.
Apr 20th, 2003, 07:39 PM

Just wanted to chime in regarding Winter Park, it is great! Dexters is a fabulous restaurant there. Another park idea is Leu Gardens in Winter Park. It is a private botanical gardens for only a few dollars to get in.
Apr 21st, 2003, 05:32 AM

lilmsfoodie,
my fav rests are panullos (italian), briarpatch, and p.r.'s (mexican) anout a half mile from park ave. As far as new shops go, we are getting many of the high end chains stores. But wp is still as charming as ever. If you have time, you should take the boat tour through the winter park chain of lakes...it is really beautiful.
Apr 21st, 2003, 05:49 AM

thanks for the reply, when I was working on a project in Orlando I stayed in Windermere and did the Butler chain of lakes. It was wonderful and we could watch the big Isleworth houses being built ( Tiger Woods amongst others).

The malling of America is happening still. My lovely little town in Michigan ended up a series of coffee shops and national specialty shops and the unique local stores disappeared. LilMsFoodie