Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt-Washington DC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 12:24 PM
deborahk

Can anyone tell me more about the Grand Hyatt Hotel in Washington DC...nearby restaurants, cleanliness of rooms, surrounding area, views? What was your experience like there if you have stayed there? I need a room for Cherry Blossom Festival and am finding many hotels already booked and very expensive. Thanks.

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Deborah,

I live here so I haven't stayed there, but the location is fine. It is right near the convention center and Metro Center metro stop. They house conventioneers all the time so I'm sure it's quite clean.

There are tons of great restaurants around that area. Some examples are Jaleo's (excellent tapas and sangria, a personal favority), Zaytinya's (mediterrean mezzes, funky decor), Cafe Atlantico (excellent, but more expensive, South American food), Ceiba's etc. Go to washingtonian.com and search under restaurants and "downtown" for more options. There's also a Capitol City Brewing Co. pretty much attached to it, which has good beer, but I'd eat elsewhere.

Zola's is a cool place to have a drink - it's at the Spy Museum.

Karen
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 01:37 PM

Hi
It's been a few years, but it was a beautiful hotel, the room was very nice and very clean. We were there for a weekend from NYC, it was very easy to get around, walking from the hotel or taking the metro which is right there at the hotel.
I cannot remember the view
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 01:51 PM

It is a very nice hotel, very clean. I've stayed there several times, and would go back in a heartbeat. No views though (I believe buildings have to be built below a certain height in DC, so views are unlikely unless you're on a park or on the river). Many of the rooms have internal views (i.e. overlooking the internal courtyard, which I think has a glass roof). But this isn't so bad as there's a pretty pool/fountain down below.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 02:41 PM

The Grand Hyatt is quite lovely: very nice spotless rooms. Grest exercise facility. The surrounding is is fine. You can get Metro without leaving the building. No "views" from any rooms. Don't eat there (way WAY overpriced): there are many cafes/delis along G st amoung the office buildings. Also, seventh st. between I st. and D st. has a ton of restaurants - walk those 5 blocks of 7th upon arrival to scope out some eats that will suit you during your stay. In addition, H st. between 7th & 5th and some of 6th st. also has some Chinese places.
I got a weekend special there a few years ago for $159/night - it's worth paying more than that, IMO.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 07:06 AM

In addition to the other suggestions, there's a good local place near the hotel--Reeves restaurant & bakery. It's on G St. between 13th & 14th sts. It's basic diner food at reasonable prices for downtown DC. I've only had lunch there (grilled cheese) but I imagine they do a good breakfast. A search I just did says they're open Monday-Saturday.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 09:54 AM

I stayed there for a week last year when I was attending an event at the Convention Center. I took some time to walk around the city and found the location convenient, near a range of restaurants/delis and the hotel very nice.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 07:23 AM
deborahk

Thsnk you for the replies....my mother and I may stay there in April and I want to be sure the area is safe and convenient for two women alone. Some of the downtown places get so empty at night that it is difficult to be out then. I'm also considering Dupont Circle area but I'm not sure this would be the spot for her. Any feedback on that?

Old Sep 4th, 2004, 08:41 AM

There is no "safe" area for women to walk around in at night by themselves in DC, despite what you may hear to the contrary. Upper NW DC (upper Wisc. Ave, upper Conn. Ave. towards Bethesda, Md.) is marginally safER at night, but the area of the Grand Hyatt? No, you shouldn't be out walking around, two women who do not know the streets of DC and the area-take Metro and taxis if you want to go somewhere-you need to be careful and aware of what's going on around you-there's a whole different vibe going on in the District at night. During the day you should be fine, the Grand Hyatt is a good hotel, the reviews on tripadvisor.com are generally favorable.
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 08:53 AM

The Grand Hyatt area is both safe and convenient for two women tourists. It has a lot of nightime activity - there is no reason not to stay.

Dupont Circle is also a good choice (epecially P st. and areas north of P st.
N st. and points south has a fair number of office buildings so might not have the same 24/7 pedestrian traffic as the north side of the circle (but is still OK).
The most convenient Dupont hotels would be less than 3 blocks to a Metro entrance (there are 2 entrances) - check the map below to make sure.

Dupont Circle area map (hotels are dark brown): http://www.stationmasters.com/System.../dupontci.html

I'm puzzled: Why you think Dupont might not be the spot for your mom???
Old Sep 4th, 2004, 10:15 PM

I have stayed at this hotel quite a few times over the past 10 years attending conventions and have always enjoyed it. Immaculate, lovely rooms. If possible get room overlooking the huge atrium. There is a pianist who performs by the bar every evening, you can open your window to hear the music from the atrium in the evening. I second the recommendation of Reeves Bakery for breakfast or lunch. Capitol City Brewing Company across the street from Hyatt is a favorite of mine, also there is a nice Thai restaurant a block away on the same street. The Washington Convention Center is across the street from the Hyatt. Have a good time.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 05:37 AM
deborahk

I seem to be getting nothing but very positive reviews about Grand Hyatt-Washington D.C. I've got it booked right now for an over $200/night rate but I'm not sure I can do better at Cherry Festival time for that kind of location and a nice place.