Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Where are all the good travel deals after 9/11?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Bob

My fiancee and I are trying to plan our honeymoon. We have yet to find a "great vacation deal" on airfare or hotels in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks. We're checking flights online and the prices are the same as they always are (we know the prices from before because we've gone to that destination plenty of times in the past).

It seems like last-minute flights have some price cuts, but anything half a year from now hasn't dropped. Any thoughts?

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Yeah!

I want to know where all the "after Christmas" deals are. Went shopping 3 days after & Xmas & only found clothing to be 30% off!!!

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Faina

After much thinking I've got it: all the deals are in the media's mind, just turn your TV on! This is where we should make reservations and shop: on TV! This is the only place with good rates... but then what will we be getting? More "correct" information?

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 11:36 AM
ejc

The way I see it is : The diaster won't affect tourism 6 months from now.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 11:59 AM
klam

Surf harder. We found really good deals both in the fall to Vegas and during the Christmas holidays for NY. The drop in prices did induce us to travel, and made it feel safe for me to fly again, and get back on living "normally". Though I think this is a very effective site, I notice a lot of people who use this board aren't willing to do some initial homework themselves.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Why

After the 9/11 events, planes were setting empty. So everybody bottomed out their prices to entice people back, and now that prices are on a steady climb back to where they have to be to keep those companies outta bankruptcy court, no body understands......amazing

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 12:56 PM
nina

I agree Bob. Travel is down, tourism is down. My husband has gotten calls from the boards of tourism from not one but 2 caribbean islands. They are ready to hire consultants, agencies and marketing people to tell them how to increase business. I had to laugh. I told him to have them call me at home and save them the money. For free I'll tell them in a few words how to increase business - cut prices. It's Econoimics 101 yet I have to wonder what is going on in the heads of some of the mucky mucks at Corporate HQ.

I read an article in the times about a month ago addressing the drop in tourism and it quoted some genius who ran several resorts. His philosophy was that if people were afraid to fly that lower prices wouldn't entice them so he was keeping his prices as they were. I think he's wrong. Why rush to vacation now when you can wait awhile until security is more stable if you're going to pay top dollar anyway?

Bob, I think you just have to wait. I think the industry is hoping things will go "back to normal" and are holding out 'til the last minute. I've been waiting for deals in March - we're planning a group vacation for about 20 people, and am just now starting to see the prices drop. If you're patient, you'll find some deals.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 01:02 PM
nina

Just wanted to add that I wondered if you caught the great rate to Hawaii last week? Now THAT was an incredible deal. I bet a lot of people are heading to Hawaii who normally wouldn't have even considered it. You know why? It was too good a deal to refuse. If you cut the prices, people will fly.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 01:20 PM
nina

I'll explain for Leone since he leaves work as soon as the 5 o'clock whistle blows. I'm just guessing mind you, but knowing L as much as I think I do, my guess is that he thinks it's tasteless for people to view "the tragedy" as a means to a bargain vacation. He's forgetting that the facts are that travel is down and business goes on and if travel is to increase the industry must lower prices to entice travelers.

I personally see nothing at all wrong with getting a bargain while they are available. There are probably some people who might not travel at all were it not for great deals and reduced prices, but some people can't understand that.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Susan

I think L's problem is it seems that some people hope to benefit financially from the pain and suffering of others.

Most travel deals only go about 6 months out.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 02:22 PM
nmm

Hello, I don't know what your budget is but you can find many good vacation deals at www.luxurylink.com. I have used them twice for Hawaii. The auctions change weekly. Hope this helps!

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Gail

You might try contacting your destinations directly- We just got a $105 rate per nite at Ritz Montego Bay for 7 nites as a result of direct contact. I think many places will negotiate rates with you now in person rather than post them. Good Luck!

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 02:33 PM
nina

Gail, Great rate!!! We were actually considering that ploy and that resort. Can I ask what dates they gave you that rate for?

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 03:47 PM
jackie

I was looking for a good value on the 'net for a trip to the Carribean and found prices to be surprisingly high. I ended up calling a travel agent I had used in the past and found a really good price on a trip to Tortola. He quoted me rates that were half what the hotel quoted as their "best rates" on their web-site. (7 nights including air from boston for $1385)

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Jill

Expedia has deals going on to the Big Island, Hawaii. I came up with air and hotel for 817/person. They also have special fares to the Carribean and Mexico.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Gail

We leave on Jan. 20th- Actually had booked a Visa special at $209 and were going to cancel- Just couldn't get it together, and had changed dates once w/ the hotel by phone. When I pulled up the confirmation to cancel RITZ had changed the rate to $105- We looked at each other and said "we're going". Called Ritz and they said yep- $105!