Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   when's the best time to visit Alaska? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/whens-the-best-time-to-visit-alaska-251238/)

mc Aug 19th, 2002 08:47 PM

when's the best time to visit Alaska?

Hello,<BR>I'm trying to plan a family reunion and thought of taking a cruise around Alaska for about a week to a week and a half. Does anyone know when is the best time of the year to visit Alaska (consider weather and special cultural events and such). We want to get the most out of our trip. Thanks in advance!<BR><BR>MC

Jason Aug 20th, 2002 08:54 AM

Well, the most obvious time would be the summer, i.e. June and July. The weather is at its best, and the days are long. The down side, however, is that this is also the most crowded time of the year. If you don't mind crowds, and just want good weather, then go in June or July. I took a trip to Alaska last year in late-August and it was great. So if you want to avoid the crowds somewhat go in August, especially the later part. September can be nice too, especially the early part of September. May is OK, but weather is iffy and can still be cold.

june Sep 23rd, 2002 06:04 PM

usually late May/early June

tcapp Sep 23rd, 2002 06:39 PM

Is the middle to end of September ok?

steve Sep 24th, 2002 02:08 PM

went this past summer form July 1-10. Mosquitos somewhat bad the first few days, then dragonflies appeared and ate them up. (actually, mosquitos were pretty mild - not nearly as bad as i expected).<BR><BR>Weather was ok - 60's, some rain. I didn't see any crowds at all (anchorage, Denali, or Fairbanks)

Jason Sep 24th, 2002 02:19 PM

Middle of September is pushing it as far as good weather is concerned, but is doable. Advantages are less crowded and decent chance at seeing the Northern Lights. Disadvantages are cooler weather, shorter days, end of the salmon season (if you care about fishing; maybe some silver salmon around). I'd go for it. Alaska is so amazing.

John Sep 24th, 2002 02:21 PM

The middle to end of Sept. can be fine or not, depending on where you are. Farther north, cold; southcentral (Anchorage etc.) can be lovely; SE Alaska (Juneau etc.) can be nice, also wet. The state's too big to generalize.<BR><BR>Many of the tourist destinations (Denali, for example) wind up their "seasons" around the middle of September.

Christie Sep 24th, 2002 03:08 PM

I happen to be in Anchorage right now on a business trip. Many of the attractions in Anchorage simply shut their doors on September 16 and state "closed for the season." Nevermind that there still ARE people who are in town for conventions! (Last weekend was the Kiwanis clubs and this weekend is the Home Builders Assoc.) I strongly advise getting here before September 15 if you want to do any sort of tours.

Don Jan 18th, 2003 02:01 PM

My last trip was in early Sept and at least in 2002, that was too late. One of the things about Alaska I love is the riot of color in wildflowers and fireweed (especially fireweed). By early Sept last year, all of that was gone. Alaska is lovely at any time of year but given my choice, June to August is best.

akvisnet Feb 6th, 2003 12:52 AM

I agree with LATE MAY EARLY JUNE.... traditionally the best weather for blue sky, ahead of the crowds, and, let's remember, this is a cruise, the bears will be hitting the beaches.