When to reserve in Alaska

Old May 8th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When to reserve in Alaska

We are planning to visit Alaska in Aug of '08 flying in & out of Anchorage. Other places we would like to go to are Homer, Seward, Whittier, Fairbanks and Denali. How long in advance should we book our rooms and tours? Thanks, Nancy
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:59 AM

I rarely book too far in advance, and it is EXTREMELY important for you to have your whole itinerary in place before you start booking. Do your homework and work everything out to your preferences. Sometimes people get carried away and jump into costly bookings, only to find out a different timeframe, routing etc would be better then discover cancelation fees.

I am not one to be in a rush, so for my August trips, I'm booking rooms in May/June. I most always stay in B&B's and depending on booking trends and explosions of Alaska tourists, it may have to be earlier.

You can always inquire of availability then make your decision earlier.
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:04 AM

I am visiting Alaska this July, and I started making reservations in late 2006. I booked my Denali Shuttle bus reservations on the first date of availability. I would rather be too early than to late, so I'm not sure why you'd wait. Book as soon as they become available.
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:38 PM

There is NO need to book Denali Park shuttle buses early, IF your plans are not firm. They hold back 35% of the seats and release them 2 days prior at 7am. I have booked this way several times and always have gotten my #1 choice.

I frequently see, people jump into bookings then grumbling because of cancelation fees, not realizing activites, distance, time etc.

My only point is to consider having a working itinerary before you start making reservations.
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:08 PM

My plans are firm.
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I am one to have everything planned out. We are reading and getting information together and deciding what appeals to us.
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:55 PM

Nancy, do you have a copy of the Milepost? And don't forget to check out the coupons when they're available for 08.
http://www.toursaver.com/
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 08:11 PM

As other suggested, do your homework and have a firm idea in mind before you book your reservations. You do take a chance if you wait to book at the last minute, it may be available or not. We had visitors arrive from Texas who were disappointed because the Denali buses were full. If you have your heart set on something and you tend to be a planner versus spontaneous, follow your gut and preplan/prebook.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 08:21 PM

Our only regret was reserving months
in advance, only to have it foggy
the entire day. We saw nearly nothing
and sat on the Denali bus for hours
on end. Hope you have better luck than we.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 08:43 PM

Pilgrim, you make a good point. The weather is unpredictable and whether it's a charter fishing trip, Denali bus tour, or a scenic ocean cruise - weather will impact the trip. Sometimes waiting to book allows for more flexibility and weather can be factored in but other times the trips will be full already. If traveling in Alaska, a person must be open to all possibilities, unfortunately this includes bad weather.