Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   When to get the best rate on hotels in NYC for Thanksgiving? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/when-to-get-the-best-rate-on-hotels-in-nyc-for-thanksgiving-338913/)

weenie57 Jul 20th, 2003 06:59 AM

When to get the best rate on hotels in NYC for Thanksgiving?

Anybody know if it is too early to book a hotel in NYC for Thanksgiving and get a good rate? I know they'll sell out probably, but I'd like to not get totally ripped off. Thanks!

Gekko Jul 20th, 2003 08:46 AM

Call now before it's too late. As rooms become more scarce, deals will be more difficult to find. The city is packed full Thanksgiving weekend.

andy Jul 20th, 2003 10:06 AM

Definitely GET a room NOW--

As it gets closer to thanksgiving, getting a room at ALL will be your problem--forget about deals....Just get a room...

Christina Jul 20th, 2003 10:44 AM

I spent the Thanksgiving weekend in NYC a couple years ago and paid through the nose for a hotel room -- I checked everywhere and there are no discounts nor even the standard rates, they all raise their rates that weekend. I paid $100 more per night (the room went from $175 to $275) than the usual rate because that's what all hotels were doing. I remember one night was a lot more expensive than another -- I think Thanksgiving night itself is normal rate but the next day, Friday, is the one were they raise the rates about $100 per room, as well as Saturday night. It's definitely not too early to get a room but forget about getting some discount, just try to book a hotel you think is a relatively good value and what you want in a good location. If you can find a hotel that does not raise the rates that weekend for at least some nights, it would be considered a good rate.

LoisL Jul 20th, 2003 12:44 PM

it may already be difficult to get a room for the night prior to Thanksgiving, due to the parade. When we did this, several years ago, I had a difficult time getting a room on the parade route, and that was done in late spring. If you're not as particular about location, you may be fine, but I'd book soon. You can always cancel if you get a better rate at a later date.

Cher Jul 21st, 2003 04:52 AM

Thinking about this for Thanksgiving 2004 ... what's the best hotel along the parade route for viewing?

lisettemac Jul 21st, 2003 06:18 AM

The Mayflower on Central Park West in the low 60's would be a good choice. Be sure to ask for a park-view room.

djkbooks Jul 21st, 2003 08:27 AM

Best bet is to shop like the dickens and book a room you can cancel forthwith. Then, check Hotwire and try Priceline off and on between now and your dates.

The parade route is south on Central Park West, starting at 77th, to Columbus Circle, then south on Broadway to Macy's at 34th.

For a hotel room with a view (these go fast and are pricey), it's best to be on somewhere around floors five through eight. Lower and you can't see up, higher and you see just the tops of the balloons, which obstruct views of everything else.

Usually the weather is nasty, but I can't imagine watching the parade from a window!

GoTravel Jul 21st, 2003 03:23 PM

Book something, anything right now as in this very minute.

Rates will stay high until probably the week before Thanksgiving so you might get a better rate then. Djkbooks had great advice.

sdgirl29 Jul 21st, 2003 04:44 PM

Try the Hampton Inn (not open yet). They seem to have the best rates I have been able to find for Thanksgiving.