Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

When ordering a bottle of wine with dinner, must you tip on the wine as well?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 01:38 PM
Larry

Here's the quandry: You and your sig. are having a meal and decide to have a bottle of wine with your meal. The wait-person corks and pours for you. Is it considered bad form to slip them, say, $5 when they do, and not tip based on the price of the wine when paying?

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Monica

The cost of the wine is added the total for tip-paying purposes. To give the wait staff $5.00 right when he uncorks the wine would be very very strange.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 01:45 PM
x

You are to tip on teh sub total of your bill. That is what the server is taxed on. If you want to be cheap, order a cheaper wine.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 01:54 PM
tim

you tip on the wine if the som. has made a great find for you -or assisted in a major way

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Robert

I believe that this topic was discussed previously.

Although I tip on the total, including wine, it really doesn't seem fair the the tip on a $60 bottle of wine is 4 times the tip on a $15.00 bottle. After all, the service is identical.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 02:13 PM
x

So with that reasoning you should really only tip on the cheapest entree because they all basically took the same effort to prepare??!!

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 02:13 PM
yes

Well, the tip on a $60 steak is four times that of a $15 bowl of soup, but service is essentially the same there too -- the waiter brought a dish to your table and set it down. The main difference in workload and price occurs in the kitchen.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 02:22 PM
aer

If you can afford a pricey wine then you can afford to tip on it. Dont be cheap.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Andre

Larry,

I agree with Tim but I would add a few things. First, it depends on what kind of restaurant you are in. If you are dining in your average every day type place where your server brings, corks and serves the wine him/herself then simply tip on the total of the bill (including the wine). If, however (as Tim stated) you are dining in a restaurant where a Sommelier helps you to select an appropriate wine and then procures it, presents it, opens it and serves it, then you shuld slip him/her a little something and then still tip on the total bill (including the wine).

As to you, Yes, unfortunately, the IRS now gathers information on sales in restaurants so they know how much the average server there is making (they take the gross sales, multiply it by usually around %12 -%15 and then assume that's what all servers in that establishment are making). If you (the consumer) fail to tip based on the actual total of the bill, the waiter often STILL must pay taxes for the $$ he/she didn't necessarily receive.

I'm not advocating that you tip that amount for bad service: however, this is yet another reason that it behooves all servers to do the best job they can.

Andre

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 02:36 PM
wino

You do not need nor is it expected to tip the Sommelier. They are usually very well paid and tipped (by the servers). But by all means invite them to sample the wine they helped choose.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Al La Carte

I agree with Tim, Andre and Wino. I have been to many restaurants where, although the Sommelier was taken care of by the wait staff, it was also appropriate to slip him or her a little something on the side. In any case, I too, always invite them to sample what they've chosen for me: They remember you when you return if you do this.

Al lC

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 06:24 PM
IWannaBe

Wow, they must be smashed by the end of the night!

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 06:25 PM
OnSecondThought

Or do they spit it out into that little silver cup around their neck???

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 07:23 PM
wino

Many will spit but if you are only sampling an ounce of wine maybe 3-4 times an hour (a sommelier can refuse by simply stating they have tried it many time before) it really wont go to their head if they choose to swallow.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 07:29 PM
xxxx

And if I went to a restaurant where the average meal was $12, and I tipped $3., then I suppose at a restaurant where the average meal was $90 I should still just tip $3 because it didn't take any more effort to serve it?
Some of you people are so cheap, you should just stay home and eat frozen entrees. If the wine is $200 a bottle you still tip a proper percentage. If that is too rich for you, then don't go to such places or order expensive food and wine. Or just be a real jerk and not tip at all since you are struggling to save money.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:46 AM
wine

I have stopped buying bottles of wine at restaurants, because the mark-up is so incredible. Instead, I order one glass of one or one beer, and enjoy my food. I still tip 15-20% based on service.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Robert

You guys are rough.

I said that I DO tip on the wine.

But when a restaurant marks up the wine to 3 or 4 times the RETAIL cost it does seem high( especially when you include the added tip)

I do tip on the total wine cost,,because I'm not looking to be cheap. But on a nice bottle of cab, the tip could be as much as on the full meal service. It just seems out of proportion.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Mad Topper

TTT