Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

When in Boston, stay at the Fairmont Battery Wharf!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I enjoyed my stay in Boston at the Fairmont Battery Wharf so much that I wrote a brief trip report! http://eatsleeptravel-1.blogspot.com...where-you.html

Beautiful waterfront location, exceptional service, modern rooms and even a terrace where you can toast your own s’mores (in season)! I highly recommend the Fairmont Battery Wharf for anyone visiting Boston (for business or pleasure).

Extra bonus: Travelers, this hotel in located within walking distance to Boston’s Italian North End, financial district, Freedom Trail, Faneuil Hall Marketplace, and TD Garden (for the Celtics, Bruins, concerts and other events).
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 02:49 AM

This is where, for many years, the home of Bay State Lobster Company, of lamented memory. Like Haymarket, it was one of those places where every race, creed, and color came to buy the seafood it remembered from home, all receiving the same Haymarket-like brusque-to-surly service. But prices were great and the seafood mostly was, too, especially for starving graduate students.

It took a long time to get this project off the ground because it is not convenient to public transportation and you have to navigate the North End to get anywhere. This may be a bug or a feature, depending on your outlook.

Glad it turned out well for you!
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

I disagree. The Fairmont Battery Wharf is located within a five to seven-minute walk to the MBTA Blue Line, a ten-minute walk to the Green Line and a 15-minute walk to North Station (green & orange lines as well as commuter rail). You can also take a water taxi from the airport. It's location is very quiet despite being so close to the North End, which is a great asset in my opinion (for locals or travelers).
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 11:06 AM

Your photos are great and it is so lovely that you both look so happy! Happy Anniversary!
Old Sep 28th, 2012, 01:32 AM

I didn't raise this before, but from the title of your post, I wondered if you were comped to stay there or worked for their PR firm.

I lived on the waterfront for more than ten years, both at Harbor Towers and at Union Wharf, only a couple of blocks from Battery Wharf. I did my grocery shopping in the North End, and it is where my neighborhood restaurants were. My dentist is still on Union Wharf, so I continue to be in the neighborhood.

Your estimates for walking to Aquarium and the Blue Line are optimistic. Your estimate for walking to the Green and Orange lines at Haymarket are wildly optimistic, especially on weekends when Hanover Street is packed.

I am sure the hotel is lovely, it is in an interesting location, and we all hope it will spark the redevelopment of that end of Hanover Street the way Rowe's Wharf did at the other end of the Waterfront, but would it be my recommendation for where the usual visitor should stay in Boston, no.
Old Sep 28th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Ackislander, I also lived in the North End for 10 years so I am very familiar with the neighborhood. I am still there almost every day, if you really want to tit for tat on who knows the neighborhood better.

I am offended by your accusation that I was comped to stay there or work for their PR firm. I actually think this is a fantastic spot and wanted to write about it and share my experience on my wedding anniversary.

Thanks for your opinion and have a fantastic day!!
Old Sep 28th, 2012, 06:44 AM

Sorry! Skepticism withdrawn. If you look back at your Nantucket post in May, you will see that I only said NICE things about it!

I found your enthusiasm in the original post suspicious, but looking at your other posts, I see you are generally an enthuiastic person. I still think your walking times in your response are way out of line for people in their forties and older, who are the bulk of leisure travelers. Thus it is out of the way for most people who want to visit the usual sites.
Old Sep 28th, 2012, 11:46 AM

Boston, in ackislander's defense, I also think your original post reads like an advertisement
Old Sep 28th, 2012, 04:09 PM

hopefully it's water under the tobin bridge