Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   When do you start packing? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/when-do-you-start-packing-242144/)

kim Jul 22nd, 2002 12:40 PM

When do you start packing?

How long before you leave for Hawaii do you start packing? We get very excited when we know we have about 1 1/2 weeks to go. I have a check list of everything we need and might need. (I am one of those just in case people) I go over it a couple of times. I never sleep the night before. We are on the East coast so must get up at 2:30 AM for 4:30 AM pickup to get to the airport. We go for three weeks at a time so we have a lot to take with us. What do you do? Iknow some people take only a few things with them, but we layer our suitcases so we can fit everything in.

Paul Jul 22nd, 2002 12:45 PM

I pack like 36 hours before. That way if there are any unexpected things, I can always spend the last day dealing with them. And the 2nd to last day before you leave is always the longest, so it's something to do.

kim Jul 22nd, 2002 12:49 PM

I'm just wondering, do you start packing any earlier or later if you are going someplace other than Hawaii, or is it just Hawaii that causes this obsession with packing? In your question you asked how long before you leave for HAWAII.<BR><BR>Me, I pack the day before. My husband packs about an hour before we leave. This applies to all of our trips, we don't pack any differently for Hawaii!!!!

dave Jul 22nd, 2002 12:51 PM

3 days. One day to pack everything I can think of, a second day to go over anything I may have forgotten. And the final day to trim the amount..my goal is to eliminate a third of what I packed by downsizing toiletries, eliminating shoes and realistically asking if I really need all I packed. I can't stand dragging around all that luggage.

xxx Jul 22nd, 2002 12:54 PM

Right before I leave. I'm with the above poster in that it doesn't matter where I am going because I always pack at the same time.

Sarah Jul 22nd, 2002 01:03 PM

I love to travel light always feel like I beat out those suckers at the luggage carousal when I am moving over the interisland coupon pick up line in HNL. <BR><BR>This year however I am going with someone who insists on checking bags so I am leaving with the bathroom sink. I will be going with roller-skates, snorkel gear, hiking boats no less than 3 pairs of shoes most likely more. I even have tea leaves was considering making Haiku leis on the plane but think they may get confiscated at the end of the ride. We have a condo but I am guessing they will not provide great cooking supplies so I was considering bringing wire whisks, pie pans, maybe a pudding dish (wanted to make some sticky toffee pudding), will ask but may pack along with some European condiments/ingredients. I don't think I will find on Kauai.. I like to have enough clothes so that I don't repeat just feel more myself with choice. Also coming from the east coast. You know some years I found regulating yourself if you can to Hawaii time really helps you get into the swing faster. If you are in a place in your life where you can get up a 12pm every day for one week before you leave. <BR><BR>Having said all of this I am often racing the clock at the 11th hour. EVERY YEAR PLAN AN ADVANCE ATTACK ON PACKING BUT JUST Don't organize it. I don't forget anything I just don't organize. SO this is probably all hot air.:):)

xxx Jul 22nd, 2002 01:06 PM

Dave, can't you ship any of that crap to yourself in Hawaii? It would be a lot easier than dragging it with you.

jpm Jul 22nd, 2002 01:11 PM

I'm always packing! ;-)<BR><BR>Actually, I have my "box" that I continually throw things in that I think I might need. I then try to pack 2 to 3 days in advance. Then the day before I go back through and decide how much I REALLY need and try to take about half of it out.

Sarah Jul 22nd, 2002 01:16 PM

I think packing is more exciting three weeks before your trip. When it actually comes time for packing I am already in Kauai, mentally so I don't want to work on anything much less packing.

anon Jul 22nd, 2002 01:20 PM

Kim,<BR>I'm always packed. When do you want to go? ;^)

Iza Jul 22nd, 2002 01:45 PM

We are leaving for 2 weeks in Kauai in 11 days - I started packing last night ;-)<BR><BR>We line up everything we want to take in our bedroom along the wall and then just throw it in bags/suitcases the night before. I hate lists and this way I can avoid them - I can look at what we have there without digging through a suitcase and assess easily whether we have everything we need.<BR><BR>By the way, I pack this way whenever I go away for an extended period of time. I prefer to start way in advance to avoid the insanity of doing it the night before we leave.

Fred Jul 22nd, 2002 01:48 PM

This is a funny question. I pack the day we're leaving and hope I don't forget anything. PAcking the day you're going doesn't give you much time, but it eliminates the pacing back and forth over what to bring. If you forget, well, too bad. They'll have it there is it's that important.<BR>My girlfriend, however, writes out a list several days before, adding to it as she needs. Then on the day of departure, she checks it off. She never forgets anything, but often brings things that only take up room rather than using them. <BR>So, there you go. Everyone's different.

sss Jul 22nd, 2002 01:56 PM

cute Iza don't you find yourself dipping into the trip clothes? That is the only thing that keeps me from packing 3 months before trip.<BR><BR>I think I will pack tonight and just live out of my suit case for the next 17 days :):)

Iza Jul 22nd, 2002 02:03 PM

Never had the "dipping" problem ;-) I guess because we take only true vacation/weekend clothes with us and during the week we wear office clothes, so no problem there. Of course underwear doesn't make it to the pile until a couple of days before we actually leave!<BR>I also lay out everybody's travelling clothes the night before so that we don't have to face the "what to wear" dilemma in the morning when we are trying to leave.

alice Jul 22nd, 2002 02:36 PM

night before need to rethink this plan. Yes this is the case with all travel but I am more excited about a hawaii trip more than a trip to Italy or most of Europe.

RMC Jul 22nd, 2002 03:38 PM

We have a yellow lab who becomes heartbroken when the "blue boxes", otherwise known as suitcases, come out. It's gotten to the point where my husband and I have to drop her off at our friends house before we can start to pack so for us it's ALWAYS the night before!

kim Jul 23rd, 2002 02:14 AM

Wow RMC, our cat does the same thing. Once he see's the luggage he mopes around and cries. We have a bengal and if you know this breed of cat you know that their cry is very loud and can become anoying. He won't eat for the first few days we are gone and when we do get home he's very stand-offish for the first couple of days.

gail Jul 23rd, 2002 02:59 AM

My husband packs for himself - always at the last minute and then can't find something he needs and it is always my fault. This is especially amusing because he travels on business about half time, so I just stay out of his way.<BR><BR>I pack for my kids 2-3 days in advance - or now get them to lay out clothes and I check them - or my son would bring assorted electronic devices but no underwear.<BR><BR>After I am done stopping newspapers, arranging pet care, finding passports, setting light timers and helping everyone else, I pack at the very last minute - usually 5 AM when we are leaving at 6 AM. I rarely forget stuff, but figure I can usually buy it at destination if I do (like toothbrush)<BR><BR>Only exception ws trip to Egypt - we started getting organized a week or 2 in advance and looked like we were emigrating, not vacationing. Too much stuff.

Sarah Jul 23rd, 2002 04:33 AM

well I did not pack last night so much for planning ahead!