Wheelchair Policy on Island Air (Hawaii)

Sep 8th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Wheelchair Policy on Island Air (Hawaii)

We're taking my mom's wheelchair with us to Hawaii at the end of the year (lighter weight portable model not the heavy electric kind). When flying from Kona to Maui on Island Air, we've been told we can only take 1 suitcase (weighing 45 lbs.) each and no carryon bags. Would we have a problem with stowing the wheelchair? We've never encountered such tight restrictions on an airline before and I don't want to run into any problems.
Sep 8th, 2005, 05:57 PM

Why don't you ask the airline?
Sep 8th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Not sure how to contact them. It was booked through a travel agent and I don't have the paperwork yet. She said it was a small airplane and I think it is either Island Air or Hawaiian or something like that. Travel agent is on holidays and I can't reach her to ask. I just got panicky tonight thinking that maybe we'll have a problem and my mom will be upset if they make a scene about it. She's very self-conscious about having to use the wheelchair.
Sep 8th, 2005, 07:30 PM

Hello antlori, you can contact this airline via email by going to www.islandair.com

I would imagine you can get your answer there.

BTW, if you are paying a service fee to your travel agent and she is on vacation and not reachable doesn't she have other office personnel that could answer your question? Or is she someone that works out of her house? No cell phone? If you are going to use a travel agent I suggest that when you travel in the future you find an agency that can give full service.

Best wishes to you, and hope that Island Air can accomodate your mothers needs.
Sep 8th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Here is Island Air's website

http://www.islandair.com/

They do fly small planes on some routes. On my one flight with them (Oahu to Lanai) some of the luggage went on earlier or later flights to get everything moved. (Not our luggage - just whatever the airline had.) However, I think that the ADA would require that the accomodate the needs of someone using a wheelchair, so I doubt you'll have anything to worry about.

Have a good trip.
Sep 8th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I got their phone # from the website you provided and I'm currently on hold so I should have an answer shortly.
LoveItaly, I don't usually use a travel agent but I've never been to Hawaii and my mom has always booked their Hawaii trips through a travel agent. She's not up to it this year so I got nominated to do all the work. I didn't have a lot of time and didn't really know what I was doing so I went to a travel agent. In hindsight, I would not do that in the future. I ended up booking a condo on the Big Island myself anyway because she didn't get it done before she left for vacation and I didn't really like the options and prices she had come up with so far. Anyway, lesson learned. I got a little panicked at the start because I was having trouble getting a flight.
Sep 8th, 2005, 09:44 PM

antlori, I sure understand, one way or another we have all had the same situations. I hope that you get everything worked out. And I agree with scigirl, I believe they will have to accomodate your mother and her wheelchair. Let us know the end results. I sure send my good wishes to you.
Sep 9th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

I finally got through to Island Air and they told me there would be no problem with stowing my mom's wheelchair on the flight. Thanks to all for helping to ease my mind. I'm kind of freaking out about this trip as my parents are saying it is their last trip to Hawaii. I find it very upsetting to think of it this way. But if it is indeed their last trip, I want it to be full of really good memories.
Sep 9th, 2005, 03:25 PM

antlori, thanks for posting back. I am so glad you got everything confirmed for your mother. Wishing you and your family a beautiful trip. Enjjoy every moment.