Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's Your Poison and Are You NOT Traveling This Weekend?

Old May 27th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since Memorial Day is not an official holiday here (although DH and I will be remembering our vets) I figured I'd ask who is NOT traveling this weekend, since I am in the "not traveling camp" myself. I am sure that many Fodorites are on the road to somewhere to enjoy this first holiday weekend of summer and we won't hear from them, but hopefully those of us left behind can still chat.

I was not going to indulge in a poison this evening since I have to get up at 4:45 a.m. to exercise and do various other things around the house, but the Friday night bug got the best of me. So, I'm having Chilean Chardonay. I know...boring.

So, what is your poison and what are your plans for this holiday weekend? Whether you are traveling or not. I'm heading back on the patio to converse over wine with DH and a friend, but will check back in later.

Enjoy the weekend all and to those traveling, be safe! Happy Memorial Weekend everyone.
Old May 27th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Hello darlin! I am glad to see you well and posting this Friday

Our Poison was a glass of Pinot Noir and a chocolate brownie smothered in fresh strawberries.

We are not traveling because houselookers are traveling TO us.
Then we can travel TO Portland Oregon and you can travel TO us and visit LOL

My daughter is traveling to Belgium.
Old May 27th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Happy Memorial Day, Statia,

I came over to the computer to see if you'd posted yet and aha! I just caught you.

Dear Statia, why oh why would you get up at 4:45am (on a Saturday, no less) unless there was a gun to your head?

My poison is the last piece of a decadent black forest cake that someone at work made for DH. Funny how I've eaten most of it. quot;>

We are NOT traveling this weekend. DH is on call, and on Sunday one of my best friends is traveling from San Diego to stay with us for a week. Tomorrow night if the weather's good we will pitch a tent in the backyard with the kids.

I wish everyone a Happy Memorial Day and safe travels to our friends on the road this weekend.
Old May 27th, 2005, 03:44 PM
bonniebroad

Hey there Statia...... I've had a couple of (big) glasses of Rhine, and enjoyed watching my DH pot flowers that we bought today at the Farmer's Market! Since we were away at a wine festival (great!) last weekend, we are home on this one, and will swim at the Y outdoor pool, cook salmon and steaks on the grill, watch movies and play cards with our neighbor.

Thank you for your good wishes, Statia! (I'll be exercising, too... water aerobics and long walk tomorrow, weights & biking on Sunday, water aerobics & long walk again on Monday.... gets addictive!)

Have a wonderful weekend, lady!

Old May 27th, 2005, 03:47 PM

Ah, it's nice to know that not Everyone is traveling this weekend. My poison was about 5 Grey Gooses and Cranberry Juice at Happy Hour at the local Irish Pub followed by a cajun chicken sandwich. Hubby is now sound asleep on the couch!!! Not much this weekend, just relaxing, and hosting a BBQ on Sunday with lots of good wine! Golf on Sat or Monday, and Exercise hopefully between hangovers! Have a great one!
Old May 27th, 2005, 03:52 PM

Hi Statia! Hi All!

I just had a glass of The Stump Jump, a wine my DS's girlfriend brought back from Australia.

I never thought I would say this, but I am suffering from "travel burn-out"! Over the last two weeks I have spent more time away from home but certainly do not feel relaxed, LOL!

Our only travel this weekend is into NYC to sail the boats in Central Park and lunch on Saturday and to see a show and have dinner on Sunday. It's our mini-vacation with our sons who are home from college.

Monday will be spent between puttering around the garden and lounging on the deck (maybe even a snooze).

We will also be thinking of those who we memorialize with sincere thanks for their sacrifice.

Statia - I too must ask...why in the world would you wake up soooo early to exercise?!?

Hey Bonnie babe...I like your addiction, lol! Mine is chocolate
Old May 27th, 2005, 04:00 PM
bonniebroad

Hey there Seetheworld, I had to develop an exercise addiction to compensate for my pasta, cheese & wine addiction! (There's still about 20 to 30 lbs. to go!!! )

Old May 27th, 2005, 04:06 PM

Hi Statia! I'm having a Chardonnay, also. We're traveling 12 miles on Sunday to my in-laws for a cookout with SIL/BIL from Kansas City. It will be great to see them!

Happy Memorial Day to all. May we never forget those who sacrificed for us. ~sunbabe
Old May 27th, 2005, 04:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
No, travel, my dog needs alot of help but kind friends will be here partying if this weather can settle down, It's been awful, trees down. I spent a few hours bagging yard waste today and expect the whole afternoon tomorrow of the same. Right now, I'm drinking a Vila Verde, a white wine from Portugal and a great buy at $7.
There's a local story about a young boy putting flowers on soldiers' graves.
He remembers what this holiday is all about. I find that very special.
Old May 27th, 2005, 04:22 PM

My poison all day has been crystal light. It is miserably hot here right now! Last I checked, it was 97. I just don't even want to know now, lol! It is only a few days a year that a/c would be nice, so on these days we wilt very fast without it. So I have parked myself in front of a fan.

We are NOT traveling this weekend We took our long weekend last weekend, so it will be nice to just hang out here. I will do some gardening, and will probably get to work on sanding/staining the pergola. Not overly exciting, but it has to get done.

Scarlett and Jocelyn--those chocolate brownie/cakes sure sound good! glad they are far away though, lol!

I am anxiously awaiting dh to get home. He moved the flag and I cannot find it now. Which, on my walk this morning I saw an elderly couple raising their flag on a huge flagpole. Yes, it brought tears to my eyes.

Old May 27th, 2005, 04:51 PM

Great post!

DH and I started to poisoning ourselves at about 1:30. We went to our favorite seafood house on the water and had 2 grey goose bloody mary's each(they are soooo - on the spicy side with a big shrimp) as we watched everyone rushing to catch the Fire Island ferries. We continued the vodka drinks with tonic at home. With dinner we had one of my favorite wines, Kenwood savignon blanc.

We are not doing anything special this weekend either. Tomorrow we were thinking of going to the driving range and getting lobsters. Just relaxing..

We like being where everyone is NOT.

Happy and safe weekend everyone!
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:05 PM

Hi Statia & all! Happy Friday Night!

We are not travelling either this weekend, but we leave for Fort Meyers & Key West on Thursday.

DH & I both got out of work early for the holiday weekend & headded to Home Depot for provisions. Did some gardening & just finished prepping the floor in our foyer for new Pergo floor to be installed over the weekend.

Our poison is Coronas.

Hopefully we'll have a combination of house projects & bbq's to get us through the weekend. Also hoping to get over to NYC on Sunday to catch the Ashes & Snow photography exhibit before it closes on June 6th. I've procrastinated too long! www.ashesandsnow.com

Have a great weekend everyone! Trish
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:15 PM

Cigalechanta,

We are in the same neck of the woods...saw that story about the boy and my lawn looks like a tossed salad. DH cut up downed branches when he got home from work.

We had some great Lemon Chicken, Vegtabel Ravioli and Miso Soup for dinner....mmmm and I am poisoning myself with some Firesteed Oregon Pinot Noir. DH is watching Red Sox/Yankees and sipping on Mike's Hard Lemonade. Dogs are sleeping peacefully in recliner chairs.

This weekend - no travel...nieces big 30th BD bash on Sun night...hat themed party..my hat you ask - the Sorting Hat from Harry Potter - a sure winner! It's huge...

Enjoy the long weekend all...I took the day off and its nice to be home...

OH YEAH...and it finally stopped raining in Boston. I actually saw the sun today!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NannyJan
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:23 PM

I'm sort of traveling this weekend, but it only involves a short ride on a commuter train to my parents house. I'm sitting here enjoying a nice glass of Shiraz on this cool rainy night.
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Wow...I'm glad I'm not the only one home on this holiday weekend, although I've done my fair share of traveling lately and glad to be here.

Yes, Scarlett, I hope to be able to travel to Portland to see you in your NEW house, especially since I've never been to that part of the US as of yet.

Jocelyn and seetheworld, I have to say that the ONLY reason I'm getting up at 4:45 a.m. (although it's already getting past my bedtime) is because DH is on the early shift and we have things to do before he goes in at 6:30 a.m. Otherwise, it would be a sleep-in day. At least I know Bonnie will be out there with me doing the exercise thing, although maybe not as early.

Sunbabe, your cookout sounds enjoyable. I guess we're Chardonay sisters tonight?

Mimi, what a nice gesture from the local boy in your area. I've been thinking about Mischa with realizing my own Boudreaux is having his own sensory problems.

mms, did DH find the flag? I agree about tears in the eyes when you see something like that. I lost my veteran father at a very young age and my mother has always hoisted his military issued casket flag on Memorial Day. When I was very young I said, "Mom, it's kind of big and embarassing," but knew better as I got older and then became proud no matter how large it is.

Lori and Annabel, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who is already "there." DH and our friend have spoiled me in cooking AND doing the dishes tonight. So, I've been able to just kick back and converse.

Our visiting friend worked with us at the same company in the oil biz about 15 years ago and has been living here on the island for the last year. So, in talking tonight we brought up various things of the past, some of it dealing with music. Come to find out, he and I were at the same Billy Squire/Queen concert in 1993 at the Houston Astrodome and also both like Iggy Pop. So, we've been listening to much old rock and roll, including Iggy's "Lust For Life" soundtrack.

For those of you who don't know Iggy, his song is the highlight of the Norwegian Cruise Line commercials of recent years. Oh my....what's happened to Iggy since I last saw him and was included in his biography?

So, a fine time with much wine is being had here by all, but I must turn in shortly....if I'm able to with enjoying myself so much. Have a great weekend everyone in case I am not able to check in later, although I will try.

Sorry for the long and rambling post, but I wanted to say hi to everyone.
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Lol, Nanny, you saw that sun only briefly.
My j. is also watching the Red Sox game He cooked dinner some great Tuna bought at Legal's. My dog is very needy these days with Alzheimer's, arthritis , blind, and muscle loss, so I'm not so cheerful but am with him even with his mistakes. He gave us so many happy years(no children) so we want his last years to be comfortab;le.
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:27 PM

Oh...I forgot to mention. DH will be marching in the Memorial Day parade tomorrow...he does every year...he is a very active member of the VFW and on the Veteran's Council. I always go and take the grandboys...(it used to be the grandgirls, but now they are too big!)

Thank you to all the veterans for all you have done and continue to do for all of us!

NannyJan
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:34 PM

Cigalechanta

How sad for your poor baby...sounds like he is in good hands and may he stay peaceful and comfy.

We have two mixed labs - Rose is 13 years and Nova is 3. ..they do bring such joy, don't they? Have a nice weekend and may the sun shine on us!

NannyJan
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Trish, so glad to see you posting. For some reason I thought you were heading to the Keys for the holiday weekend. Good luck on the Pergo installation. My mom had it done in her house a few years ago (before we sold it recently) and really loved it.

Nanny, you and cigalechanta MUST get together. She is a gem, and I'm sure you are too.

Vittrad, thanks for joining us "stay at homers."
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:41 PM

Statia

All of you are "peaches"...a nice group I stumbled upon in my Key West searches...I enjoy your posts.

Take care all...NannyJan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -