Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's your favorite Northeast / New England beach town?

Old Mar 13th, 2012, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a summer trip for me, my husband, and our two toddler boys (so a family-friendly town is obviously important!). We lives a few miles from Long Beach Island in New Jersey, so we want to steer clear of NJ beaches since they're a little too close to home to feel like we're on vacation. And because it's so easy to visit LBI, we've never been to Rehoboth, Nantucket, Kennebunkport, Cape Cod....it's all new to us!

So what's your favorite beach along the Northeast and New England coastline? We prefer vibrant, fun beach towns (boardwalks, outdoor dining, guarded beaches). Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 03:39 AM

Old Orchard Beach of course!!!!
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 04:55 AM

Misquamicutt, RI would definitely work. Also agree with Old Orchard Beach. RI would have warmer water for swimming. Also, really enjoy the Cape on either side but there are no boardwalks. Can't go wrong with any of these. Good luck choosing. Id decide by how far you want to drive and how long you are going to have.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 07:19 AM

Loved Hampton Beach NH but the water is cold! Has the boardwalk, shops, restaurants you are looking for though.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 07:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Agree that Misquamicutt, RI is a good bet in New England. North of Cape Cod the water is very cold by NJ standards -- up in Maine it's cold by any standard.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 10:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Take the Cape May ferry to Lewes DE. If the water is not warm enough keep moving south. http://www.rehoboth.com/accommodatio...st-houses.html
I do like the boardwalk at Rehoboth Beach. I remember several fishing trips out of Lewes and Indian River Inlet.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 01:41 PM

Chatham, Massachusetts on Nantucket Sound on Cape Cod has the warmest waters and most gentle surf of those suggested. There's really no 'bad' New England beach town, though!
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 01:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Orleans on Cape Cod gives you beautiful Nauset Beach on the Atlantic Ocean and on the other side of town, Massachsetts Bay, calmer, warmer water, with Skaket beach. At low tide it would be perfect for your kids.There are aso several fresh water lakes with beaches such as Pilgrim Lake in Orleans.No boardwalks...Can't even think of one on the Cape at least where we've been.
For towns on Nantucket Sound, Dennis, Yarmouth and Harwichport have nice beaches, calmer, warmer water than the Atlantic.Our kids grew up summers at all of the places I've mentioned.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 05:47 PM

Skaket Beach overlooks Cape Cod Bay. The only problem with the Bay beaches is that low tide; it's no fun for 17 year olds to wade in ankle deep waters!
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 05:49 PM

Oops! Sorry! The Bay beaches are quite nice if you have little kids with you! (I was answering another Cape Cod question and answered the wrong thread. Mea culpa)
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 08:50 PM

If you're looking for honky-tonk, Hampton and Old Orchard are the places for you. If you want good shops & restuarants but no boardwalk, Ogunquit and Kennebunkport, ME. Cape Cod has lovely beaches but they are quieter in that there aren't restuarants and shops right at the beaches but all have lots of families. Summer reservations fill up quickly as do the car ferries to Nantucket and the Vineyard so decide soon.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 05:42 AM

I am from coastal NJ also so I understand what you mean by wanting to steer clear of jersey beaches. I discovered Cape Cod and Nantucket a few years back and I was hooked from the first trip.The drive is not that bad if you plan it right. YOU MUST LEAVE VERY EARLY ON A WEEKEND MORNING. We make it to Hyannis in a little less then 6 hours with two or three breaks along the way. You have a big choice of where to stay from Hyannis all the way to Provincetown. And there is always Nantucket which compared to the jersey shore will take your breath away. I can not stress enough the cape is nothing like jersey!!
Well that is my two cents. I think the only place that has boardwalks like Pt. pleasant is Pt.pleasant.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 05:46 AM

I'm an ex-Jerseyite who now lives in New England. I lived 1/2 hour from the beaches on Long Beach Island, so I know those beaches very well. The past 20 years I've spent a lot of weekends on the beaches of New England. First off, the LBI beaches and the New England beaches have a totally different vibe. The LBI beaches generally have bigger breakers, warmer water and finer sand. The closest you may get to this is Rhode Island. As for boardwalks and lively atmosphere, probably Hampton Beach NH and Old Orchard Beach Maine. Both places have wide sandy beaches, nice surf, and lots of pizza and sausage sandwiches. However NJ beach towns are nicer if you want amusements and pizza stands. Old orchard and Hampton both have a bit of a 'biker' vibe, and don't really have wooden boardwalks. The beauty of New England beaches is in their more relaxed feel, and interesting little towns. Cape Cod and Martha's Vinyard may be what you might like the most. Cape Cod has beaches of every description from the spectacular National Seashore of the eastern side (probably the most beautiful beaches on the east coast), to the charming little towns and quiet bay beaches on the western side, to the calm, warm and somewhat crowded beaches on the southern side. Martha's Vinyard has a nice mix of beautiful beaches along with the somewhat Victorian funky beach town vibe at Oak Bluffs.
The beaches of southern Maine (York to Kennebunkport) are also very nice - wide, white sand, not too rough. However the water is downright frigid compared to NJ. In general, you will find the beach towns of New England a lot more scenic and charming than NJ.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 05:50 AM

My favorite beaches would be Skaket in Orleans,Ma. Any place along the national seashore, maybe Ballston is my favorite ocean side beach. They are all beautiful. Sandy neck in Sandwich is also a favorite. Cape cod has so many beautiful beaches and I have been to many of them. You have little children so Skaket would be perfect for you, has everything you would need.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 09:48 AM

In addition to the other suggestions, such as Old Orchard beach, perhaps you would like York, Maine?
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 12:02 PM

Maine beaches are beautiful. The water is cold!
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 11:47 AM

The problem with Misquamicut is the waves & strong surf. With toddlers, I agree with the posters who recommend Skaket Beach in Orleans on the Cape. then you can also visit other towns and beaches. You don't have to stick to just one beach. Herring Cove in Provincetown is nice for little children, too. Also, Mayo Beach in Wellfleet. I love Wellfleet! It's one of the prettiest, if not the prettiest, towns on the Cape.
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 12:20 PM

Wellfleet also has the kettle ponds, freshwater and a joy for young kids.