Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What's with all the Pet-Friendly Hotels! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/whats-with-all-the-pet-friendly-hotels-852232/)

Frank Jul 30th, 2010 07:05 AM

What's with all the Pet-Friendly Hotels!

I'm probably in the minority but I'm not in favor of Pet-Friendly hotels. It seems like more and more hotels are following this trend, the last 2 center city hotels we booked happened to be pet-friendly.

We recently stayed at a Sofitel Hotel in downtown Philadelphia and discovered it was pet-friendly when each time we walked past a particular room we heard a dog barking. Luckily we were many rooms away but felt sorry for the rooms adjoining and above and below.

People go to a hotel to relax and get away from all the hustle and noise and shouldn't be subjected to barking dogs in the next room. Heck the guests are generally noisy enough, who needs to deal with yapping dogs too.

Also everyone has a different idea about what constitiutes a pet, how about snakes, hamsters, pit bulls, etc.

Also some people are allergic to pet hair and I find it hard to believe the rooms are adequately cleaned to eliminate that problem for the next guest to occupy the room.

Just my opinion.

joto Jul 30th, 2010 08:14 AM

We have only had 3 occasions where we have had to have our dogs with us staying in a hotel. One of them does have seperation anxiety where he barks when alone in an unfamiliar place. He was never left alone as one of us was always with him to stop the chance of him barking and disturbing others. The last time was when we were moving cross country and my son and I took it in turns to go down and eat breakfast so one of us was always with the dogs. We did research with AAA to find dog friendly hotels on our route and those hotels had only a very few rooms that they allowed dogs into. The rooms were clean and didn't have dog hair or dog smell in them. On your next trip you could ask the hotel if pets are allowed on the property.

LucieV Jul 30th, 2010 08:18 AM

I love pet-friendly hotels; we've been using them for over 10 years, whenever we take a driving trip with our dog.

I've never had a bad experience...either with an obnoxious pet or an unclean room (and I am not only fussy about cleanliness, I also have a ridiculously keen sense of smell.)

BUT...I can definitely understand if you're uncomfortable with pet-friendly lodging; in which case, don't stay in one! (In my experience in California, Washington and Oregon, it's a lot easier to find No Pets Allowed hotels than pet-friendly hotels!)

MLF611 Jul 30th, 2010 08:27 AM

Hotels adapt to changing customer base. More people are traveling with their pets; therefore more hotels are pet friendly.

Accor hotels (Sofitel is part of Accor) are usually pet friendly. Given your dislike of pet-friendly hotels, it's your reponsibility to do the research and make sure the hotel's pet policy doesn't put your nose out of joint. There are plenty of no pets allowed hotels out there.

obxgirl Jul 30th, 2010 08:33 AM

The default is still no pets allowed. Hard to imagine you can't find a place anywhere on the price point scale that doesn't meet your needs.

Christina Jul 30th, 2010 08:58 AM

I don't like them at all, either, but there are lots who are not. I've been in at least two that I can recall where I was next to or very near a room with a barking, yapping dog that went on for hours. It doesn't matter if they are left alone or not, they were not alone, but they were yapping anyway.

Dayenu Jul 30th, 2010 09:50 AM

Some hotels have smoking and non-smoking floors. We should demand all hotels have separate floors for pets.

Come to think of this, why not keep separate children, clients having sex, overweight, divide by nationality, religion, race, sexual preferences, gender-oriented floors, skimpy or modestly dressed...

Oh, the possibilities :))

Frank Jul 30th, 2010 09:53 AM

Based on the following article regarding Manhattan Hotels, it may be harder to find a hotel that doesn't accept pets than most people think. Based on the amenities offered to pets, I think it's gotten out of hand. I guess hotels will serve anyone or anything as long as they make a buck.

The entire Affinia chain of hotels is extremely pet-friendly.

The Hilton family of hotels also offers a Hilton Pet Friendly program at each of their locations, which includes the Crypton Clean Pet Pillow, bowls, and a placemat, as well as a list of local pet services. That includes pets up to 75 pounds at the flagship Hilton New York at 1335 Sixth Avenue in Midtown West.

The Loews Regency at 540 Park Avenue pampers pets with sleep mats, bowls, and a special menu.

At the gorgeous Le Parker Meridien at 118 West 57th Street pets can enjoy mood music, scratch pads, and a "Feed the Party Animal" menu that features such delicacies as steak tartare. Le Parker Meridien welcomes all pets from aardvarks to zebras.

The luxurious Peninsula Hotel at 700 Fifth Avenue features a welcome biscuit, in-room toys and dreamy bed, staff dog walkers, and a pet menu with items such as minced meat pies, and home-baked treats.

The moderately priced Hotel Pennsylvania, one of New York’s larger hotels, is across the street from Penn Station and Madison Square Garden and is no stranger to hosting pets: It is the host hotel for the annual Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. Hotel Pennsylvania allows up to two dogs per room with no weight restrictions.

At the chic and trendy Sofitel New York, located at 45 West 44th Street, all pets are welcome–dogs, cats, birds, even ferrets.

Starwood Hotels—which owns the Sheraton, Westin and W brands—has rolled out a brand-wide "LTD (Love that Dog)" program that greets pets up to 25 pounds with a welcome goodie gift box, food and water bowls, temporary ID tags with hotel contact info, and custom-designed beds that mirror the human beds and guestroom décor. Other amenities include plush robes, leashes and collars, even turndown treats.

New York City’s W properties offer in-room doggie massages by a licensed dog massage therapist. Cats are given special treatment as well!

The Westin New York Times Square at 270 West 43rd Street features sleek, stylish, and sophisticated comfort, complete with "Heavenly Rest" beds.

The Sheraton Manhattan at 790 Seventh Avenue and the Sheraton New York Hotel And Towers at 811 Seventh Avenue (just across the street), are steps away from the lights and drama of Broadway. The 1904 Beaux-Arts landmark in the heart of Midtown, Starwood's St. Regis at 2 East 55th Street welcomes pets and provides grand hotel atmosphere – from the crystal chandeliers to the silk wall coverings.

"Heavenly rest" pet beds are de rigueur at the luxurious Jumeirah Essex House at 160 Central Park South, with their new "Canine Turndown Program" designed to pamper even the most discerning four-legged guests. Run by "doggie designer to the stars" Amy Kizer (of the highly-acclaimed Wagwear New York City boutique), the program offers luxurious five-star canine amenities so that hotel guests and their fine furry friends can indulge in the lap of luxury together.

The Benjamin at 125 East 50th Street offers their own "Dream Dog" program, which includes a lush bathrobe, gourmet room service, spa treatments, specially designed dog beds, ceramic food and water bowls, even a consultation with a pet psychic. This luxurious program is offered to all pet owners booking at any rate, during any time period.

At the Tribeca Grand, 2 Sixth Avenue, upon request they can have your guestroom set up with pet bed, food and water bowls, and treats—all at no extra cost. They also loan kennels and pet beds of various sizes, food and water bowls, and kitty litter boxes. Along with complimentary treats at the front desk, they provide a pet food menu through room service, arrange for pet sitters, dog walkers, pet spas (all grooming done off property) and veterinary care through their concierge team. And if you don't have a pet, they'll even provide you with a pet goldfish upon request!

The glamorous and stylish Ritz Carlton New York Central Park at 50 Central Park South has a "Doggy and Me" weekend package that includes a gift photograph and a "VIP (Very Important Pooch)" program featuring use of ultra-chic pet carriers, 22-karat gold plated identification tags, aromatherapy coat spritz treatments, home-baked dog treats, and in case of bad weather, loan of rainproof trench coats, leather jackets, and cashmere sweaters. Pets up to 60 pounds are allowed, but the hotel will charge a fee and require a waiver be signed. At the downtown Ritz Carlton New York Battery Park at 2 West Street, pets are pampered with special sleeping bags and home-baked treats. Medium-sized pets are welcome at both. Like the Central Park location, this hotel requires a fee for pets ($125) and accepts pets up to 20lbs.

Other pampering properties include the Hotel 41 at Times Square at 200 West 41st Street, and the comfortable New York Marriott Marquis Times Square at 1535 Broadway, although the Marquis charges a non-refundable sanitation fee for pet owners to the tune of $250.

For smaller pets only:

At the Hilton Times Square at 234 West 42nd Street, room service can help with special food requests; and Concierge Teams can refer guests to dog walkers, pet groomers, and pet sitters. Pets under 12 lbs. are welcome. Pets under 15 lbs. are welcome at the Millenium Hilton at 55 Church Street across from Ground Zero in the heart of the Financial District. Four-footed guests are greeted with a biscuit the Waldorf Towers at 100 East 50th Street, an this Art Deco landmark that was one of the city’s first "grand hotels," and with advance notice, their skillful concierges can organize a litany of services if you'll be spending more time on the town than with your pet during your stay.

The classy, all-suites Buckingham at 101 West 57th Street, located across from Carnegie Hall, accepts small pets only. A timeless classic, The Carlyle at 35 East 76th Street is an elegant showcase of great art, a purveyor of privacy, and a sanctuary of refined taste that welcomes small pets. Be advised: the Carlyle charges a $50 per night fee and limits its pet guests to under 25lbs. Pets under 12 lbs. can enjoy the panoramic views of Central Park from their rooms at the elegant Helmsley Park Lane at 36 Central Park South.

The Muse Hotel at 130 West 46th Street offers the Pampered Pooch Package, starting at $249* per night. Upon arrival, you'll find a delightful amenity basket in your guestroom, filled with canine treats and food and water bowls and New York's only doggie playground, "Canine Court," with open land and an obstacle course close by. Hotel guests and their dogs are welcome to shop together at Saks Fifth Avenue, Bergdorf Goodman, Tiffany's, Brooks Brothers, Banana Republic and the Gap.

The deluxe and spectacular New York Palace at 455 Madison Avenue gracefully blends a landmark 19th-century residence with a contemporary 55-story tower. It boasts some of the largest rooms in the city, but only accepts pets fewer than 20lbs. The Novotel at 226 West 52nd Street combines European service and the ambience of Broadway and accepts small pets, as does the entire Kimpton family of hotels.

The London NYC at 151 West 54th Street, an Art Deco luxury property, accepts pets under seven lbs. Featuring an ultra-modern design, the Shoreham at 33 West 55th Street is pet-friendly and within leash distance of Central Park; pet-weight limit 15 lbs.

Fodorite018 Jul 30th, 2010 09:55 AM

We have a lot of pet friendly hotels here in Oregon. I know the big ones in downtown Portland have designated floors for those rooms though. That way if someone is allergic or whatever, they know they will be in a pet free room.

We take our dog with us about half the time. We have never left her in the room without us though. It does make going out a bit harder, but we work around it. Especially in the summer when you can eat outside at a restaurant and have our dog lay at our feet.

soccr Jul 30th, 2010 09:58 AM

Feel strongly that there should be pet-friendly hotels, and feel equally strongly that rooms/floors/wings should be designated as pet vs. non-pet areas AND that motel owners should make and enforce rules about things like designating and cleaning up poop-scoop areas (and maybe not leaving pet alone in the room).

Dukey Jul 30th, 2010 10:02 AM

I understand completely, Frank, and I think we should try to stop this ongoing trend of having sex-friendly hotels, too. The last time i was in New York with my dog I was walking with him down the hall and when i went by this one room there was a couple banging away so loud you could hear them in the hallway. I can only imagine what it was like for the people who were staying right next door; especially the ones whose room wall abutted the one against which was the headboard of the banging couple.

I mean, it was disgusting. I can only imagine what the carpet and bedding were like when this couple finally checked out.

LittleWing Jul 30th, 2010 10:09 AM

Dayenu, you are funny but the fact is, whenever we travelled with the old hound there were always pet friendly specific rooms or sections of a hotel. The rest were not to cater to the allergy ridden guests.

And leaving a barking dog in a room unattended is against every lodging policy I have signed. Yes we left the hound alone and broke the rule, but we left him with the tv and ac on to buffer any outside noice, we travelled with our own bedding to make him feel at home and we knew that if he barked we would find him in housekeeping with a hefty fine to pay.

lcuy Jul 30th, 2010 10:28 AM

No one has mentioned that many hotels have a pretty hefty "pet Fee" for all these services. Every time I've stayed in one, I had to sign a contract agreeing that a nuisance dog would be removed by housekeeping if the owner was not there.

The bottom line is that more and more people travel with their pets now. The hotels want their business, so are adapting to the market. I've certainly had more issues with honeymooners, sport teams, and school groups than any dogs in hotels.

sallytakemyhand Jul 30th, 2010 11:26 AM

I have pet allergies and I like pet friendly hotels. People are no longer sneaking Fluffy and Fido past the front desk and leaving pet hair behind for the next guest.

Just pick up the dog poop from the parking lot please.

elsiemoo Jul 30th, 2010 11:34 AM

Icuy has a good point ... I've heard far more noise from young sports teams/dance troupes running through lobbies and hallways, taking over the swimming pools, slamming doors until late at night as they visit back and forth, when I'm traveling than I've ever heard from a dog. And the party people and honeymooners in adjacent rooms ... won't even go there. :D

At the moment, we don't have a pup but when we do and he travels with us, we make sure he isn't left alone to bark, we clean up after him, train him to be well-behaved, because we're so grateful that there are nice hotels to welcome us. But hotels should be very strict about keeping pet and non-pet rooms separate because I have a relative who is horribly allergic to dog dander, and that is not a fun experience for her to be put in a room where a dog has stayed before her!

Challiman Jul 30th, 2010 11:37 AM

I'd like to add that when we've driven cross country with our dog we found a wide variety of charges applied to having a dog. Some charged a flat $100.00 fee whether you stayed one night or a month. Others charged $50. per night and there were very limited rooms available. We've traveled with our dog a good bit and have never, ever tried to sneak them in without making arrangements first. Once when we were traveling without our dog the room across from us had a barking dog and after it got to be around 11 PM we called the front desk and alerted them. They had no idea a dog was in that room. Eventually the dog's owners came back to the hotel and the dog stopped barking, but they were gone early the next morning.
I do not blame anyone for not wanting to be in a room where pets have been, as I don't ever want to be in a smoking room. But there should be plenty of rooms for each kind of traveler. Plan ahead and follow the rules so those of us who travel with our pets won't lose that option.

jorr Jul 30th, 2010 12:39 PM

Frank, Hello! its not all about New York and snakes are not the same as dogs. I have had my dog in several hotels including an executive luxury downtown high rise hotel like any in New York. Most people would probably prefer to have my big German Shepard next door in a hotel room rather than a loud New Yorker!

Frank Jul 30th, 2010 01:11 PM

jorr:

It's not about New York, it's all over the country. We are talking about "PETS", not dogs. Read the article I referenced above, hotels allow all manner of "PETS", aardvarks, ferrets, etc.

Seems you're biased in favor of dogs.

jorr Jul 30th, 2010 01:59 PM

So what's with all the New York hotel references? Go back and read my post.

spassvogel Jul 30th, 2010 02:34 PM

Here

- dog owners have to book in advance and get a "dog friendly room" - whetever that means ;-)

- those rooms are all located close to each other and separated from the others by floor, elevator and whatelse

We have also extremely dog friendly hotels (5*!) which have bowls, blankets, parlours) available and even serve dog food.

Dog are - like cats or any pet - furykids which have to be taken care of.

I would rather stay in a room close to a dog-owner's room that a room with noisy kids.

((@))