Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Whats the most overrated place you've ever been to?

Old May 5th, 2003, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from my vacation to Scottsdale Arizona. It was great. The only downpoint of our trip was the 2 hours we wasted on a trip to Sedona. Everyone told me we had to go there. There was nothing to do there at all and it was freezing because it was so high up the mountains. I really don't know what people see in Sedona. All you could really do there was go to the shops and look at red rocks.
Old May 5th, 2003, 06:33 AM

Well toddruggy,should have gone to the Grand Canyon. That would have been worth the extra two hours.
Old May 5th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunatley we had our days pretty much booked and we didn't really have time to go to the Grand Canyon because we had the Diamondbacks game that night.
Old May 5th, 2003, 06:44 AM

One person's "overrated" is another persons "perfect". We' not all looking for the same thing.
Old May 5th, 2003, 06:46 AM

I'm with you on Sedona. FAR better was a little mining town in the general area, and I cannot remember the name of it. Gorgeous little shops and much less commercial than Sedona.

Can anyone help me with the name?

Thanks, it was several years ago.
Old May 5th, 2003, 06:58 AM
OliveOyl

Jerome, Leona

toddruggy is the same person who wondered if it'd be worthwhile going to the Grand Canyon or would he just be bored. I'm not sure he's for real, but then maybe it is just a matter of "different strokes for different folks". If someone made me sit through even one inning of a Diamondbacks game I'd be pulling my hair out.

Old May 5th, 2003, 07:05 AM

Todd:

chill, buddy.
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:09 AM

Just don't call him a troll!
Old May 5th, 2003, 07:11 AM

Diamondbacks or The Grand Canyon tough choice?
Old May 5th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Jeez I thought people were going to put there own opinions on here. My opinion on Sedona was just my own opinion, I know other people might love it. I personally don't like to hike and stuff. I loved, the Dbacks game, loved scottsdale, I just didn't really care for Sedona thats all. We asked the concierge about the grand canyon and she gave us mixed reviews on that. I wasn't in the mood to be in the car for 9 hours roundtrip.
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:05 AM

toddruggy,

Maybe you should have mentioned you don't like driving, hiking and beautiful red rocks....then we might have understood.

I don't even know what kind of game the Diamond Backs play but any type of game would bore the hell out of me and you couldn't pay me to go to one on a vacation.

Different strokes for different folk. I love driving, beautiful scenery, hiking etc.

Utahtea
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:07 AM
lsb

I am curious as to what Todd thought he would see in Sedona. The reason to go to Sedona is to see the amazing scenery,namely, the red rocks. If you are not interested in seeing majestic red rock formations then you should definately skip Sedona. I was in Sedona last week and loved it. I agree the town is not much to see,however there were some good restaurants. My family hiked the red rocks and took a pink jeep tour. Although we had never hiked before this trip, we loved it.For us Sedona was a worthwhile trip. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:21 AM
OliveOyl

People were expressing their own opinions toddruggy--you just missed the point! Most of us consider the red rocks area of Sedona simply awesome, unimaginable beauty. Even if you don't enjoy hiking, couldn't you appreciate the majesty of it? THAT is why you got the responses you did.

And this concierge that gave the Grand Canyon mixed reviews--it wasn't a Days Inn by any chance was it? LOL

Old May 5th, 2003, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Utahtea, the Diamondbacks is a baseball team. They won the World Series 2 years ago by defeating the yankees.
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

The red rocks in Sedona were really beautiful and we took a few pictures. I have never been there and I had no idea of the temperature there. My girlfriend and I were excited to go to the slide rocks, but when we stopped and asked the guy said the water was about 30 degrees at slide rock. I was under the impression Sedona was warm.
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:32 AM

Leona-
Are you referring to Jerome, Arizona?
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:35 AM
E

"I was under the impression Sedona was warm." See, toddruggy, that's why you get these annoyed responses--you're clueless! (I'm also impressed that you'd pick a screen name guaranteed to attract mockery, then take offense when you're mocked.) Here's my plea: if you ever go abroad, tell everyone you're Canadian.
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:42 AM

Wow. I can't even relate to the concept of a "wasted trip to Sedona".

I was there 3 weeks ago, and after seeing a clip of it on TV last night, am just dying to get back. I thought it was one of the most incredibly beautiful places I'd ever been to.

Nothing to do there? Open your eyes, hike, do a jeep tour, hike, go horseback riding, hike, take a picnic to a gorgeous spot, hike, visit the cathedral, hike, drive up Shnebly Hill Rd, hike, Visit Oak Creek Canyon......

Anyway, we didn't see the Diamondbacks because we are staunch Yankee fans, but Todd you probably wouldn't have like the Grand Canyon anyway. If you didn't appreciate the beauty of Sedona than I'm sure the Canyon would have been wasted on you as well. After all, you don't like to "hike and stuff".

Old May 5th, 2003, 09:47 AM

OVERRATED
Hawaii
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Kal

I agree with John.

Kauai is probably the most overrated place...especially between the end of December until about the 2nd or 3rd week in January.

The island should be avoided by all tourists that time of year.

I will, once again, go back during that time period and conduct addtl research as to why it is overrated as a destination and report back ot you all.
The things I do for this forum!

Hawaii should have it's own forum.
Kal

236!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -