Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What's the most embarrassing thing your kid has done to you on vacation? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/whats-the-most-embarrassing-thing-your-kid-has-done-to-you-on-vacation-335596/)

linda8 Jul 10th, 2003 07:41 AM

What's the most embarrassing thing your kid has done to you on vacation?

We were in an outrageously expensive gift shop in the Opryland Hotel in Nashville, and I quickly "shooed" my 2-year old out the door. Alas, on the way out, she brushed by a table with an equally outrageously expensive statue, and knocked it over.
The head of the statue went rolling down the hotel hallway like a bowling ball.

stellaluna Jul 10th, 2003 07:58 AM

waiting for an available ticket agent at the United Airlines counter at Logan Airport in Boston on the way to Colorado. my son who was probably 3 at the time was mad because we had to get off of the terminal bus, which he decided was alot of fun to be on. so there we were in line, lots of people waiting there with us, and he has a tantrum...and drops his pants, mooning everyone. whole place erupts in laughter. i was trying to keep a straight face.....

flopmeister Jul 10th, 2003 08:24 AM

Here?s one for the record books: On a United flight from Denver to Montreal several years ago (when they actually had non-stop service) I was traveling as Mr. Mom with my 7 month old son Joshua as my traveling companion. We had a bulkhead seat. 3 across, with us in the aisle seat and a very nice woman in the window seat, complementing me on what a great dad I was, you know having the diaper bag, bottles, etc. Well you know where this is heading. I fed Joshua a bottle, he slept, and woke up about 20 minutes outside Montreal very hungry, teething, something? Anyway I gave him a second bottle and he drank it in about 10 seconds. All of a sudden we started to encounter turbulence ? not terrible, but just enough to cause the plane to sway from side to side a bit. We landed, and being considerate I thought I?d let everyone get out of the plane before I started in with the whole stroller, bjorn, diaper bag, etc. I held Joshua over my shoulder so he could see everyone leaving the plane. All of a sudden, statements of ?what a cute baby? turned into, ?OH MY GOD!? I picked him off my shoulder and he was in the midst of an explosive vomit that looked like something from a Brian DePalma film. All over me all over him, and all over the seat behind us. As if that wasn?t bad enough, I was in the middle of trying to clean that up when a second, even more violent explosion of puke hit the bulkhead and ricocheted right back in the aisle, all over flight attendants and the remaining passengers.

We got into the airport (pre- 9/11) and my wife and in-laws? saw us, smelled us, and nearly passed out!

gc Jul 10th, 2003 08:28 AM

OK, stop the thread!
Flopmeister wins by TKO in the first!

Paul Jul 10th, 2003 08:48 AM

Stellaluna,
I hope you gave your little tike a swat on his naked behind when he had his tantrum and mooned everyone. Did you think this was 'cute' behavior while keeping your straight face?

Leona Jul 10th, 2003 09:17 AM

So, linda8, how much did your 2 year old's accident cost you? I guess it must have taught you to either hold onto your child, or keep her out of outrageously expensive gift shops.

bucky Jul 10th, 2003 09:19 AM

"swatting" a child is what is not cute.

bennie Jul 10th, 2003 09:20 AM

Not bad - this post existed for just over an hour before the first anti-kid fodorite chimed in. I bet a co-worker that it wouldn't be more than 20 minutes. Oh well, I guess I'm buying lunch.

uuhhhh Jul 10th, 2003 09:25 AM

which is the "anti-kid" post?

GoTravel Jul 10th, 2003 09:36 AM

It is funny to me what some people consider 'cute' behavior and others consider 'bratty' behavior.

JJason Jul 10th, 2003 09:54 AM

swatting a child can be beneficial. For everyone.

flopmeister Jul 10th, 2003 10:18 AM

Should I have swatted my child for throwing up? Gimme a break, dropping trow for a 3 yo is just about as natural a response! Patiently explaining and modeling appropriate behavior is much more appropriate. JJason, i'd say you have issues.

linda8 Jul 10th, 2003 10:20 AM

Leona,
That is why we were LEAVING the shop.
We were out the door, and I thought all was okay, but the table with the statue was OUTSIDE the shop, by the door, in the hotel hallway. Thankfully the owner was an angel and had insurance.
This post is for laughing, not for preaching.

stellaluna Jul 10th, 2003 10:23 AM

right on flopmeister! the world needs more parents like you!

reneeinva Jul 10th, 2003 10:26 AM

This thread makes me sick. As a parent of a 3 year old and a 7 year old, I have been in TONS of embarassing situations.

The thing that makes everything ten times worse is the dirty looks and comments from the people like those on this thread.

Try to put yourself in the parent's position.

kikahead Jul 10th, 2003 10:27 AM

Stellaluna--that is too funny! Sometimes all you can do is laugh at the situation!

dln Jul 10th, 2003 10:29 AM

Can we get back to the funny stories now? Flop's was the best belly laugh I've had all week!

flopmeister Jul 10th, 2003 10:31 AM

how this devolved into a parenting discussion is beyond me, let's get back on track or you'll all get a potch on the tush.

reneeinva Jul 10th, 2003 10:33 AM

Sorry for the vent.

OK...I am trying to think of something...but nothing I can come up with even comes close to flopmeister!!

flopmeister Jul 10th, 2003 10:45 AM

i wish i could say this is the only embarrasing thing that's happened to me with my son on vacation. but it's only the MOST embarrassing. here is another embarrassing airplane moment, and this time my wife was involved:Again on a trip from Montreal back to Denver, we were sitting with Joshua, who at this point was I guess about a year and a half old. I should preface by saying that this was the last time we traveled anywhere without buying him his own seat. I am in the aisle (watch your elbows!) and my wife in the middle seat. Window seat occupied by a French-Canadian businessman, very nice guy, they were chatting in French for most of the flight (the wife is from Montreal as well). So about midway through the flight the kid has a blowout. And when I say blowout, Joshua occasionally at that point had just explosions. Maybe once per month all the soymilk he was drinking I guess just caught up with him. Well we travel a lot and usually can get an upgrade but this time we?re in the back of the bus, a 767, not much legroom, so Stephanie takes the kid to the bathroom ( I think I was pretending to be asleep though how anyone could sleep with the grunting and explosions in the seat next to me is beyond me) and she goes in and is in there for about 15 minutes. Then, with a burst, the door to the bathroom (which is a couple of rows up) opens and steph looks at me, holding the hid with the other arm she points to me and with her finger gives me the GET OVER HERE NOW motion, which of course I jump up and there is poop just everywhere, on my wife?s pants, on the kid ? who is completely naked and it smells AWFUL. She hands the kid to me as you would a dirty diaper, which at that point he was, and goes back into the bathroom to clean herself up. People in the seats are pretending not to notice, but that?s like not noticing a landfill or a hog farm. So I get to the seat, expecting that there would be wipes for me to do a thorough cleaning of Sir Poopsalot. Well guess what, NO WIPES. I quickly decide to dip napkins into the apple juice that was on steph?s tray and wipe him off with the apple juice. All the passengers were probably ready to hurl, but we were finally given wipes by another couple who obviously took pity on us. That nice Quebecer in the seat next to my wife did not say another word! Oh man.