Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What's the deal with no cameras on the nyc subway? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/whats-the-deal-with-no-cameras-on-the-nyc-subway-662347/)

ilovetotravel29 Dec 4th, 2006 07:29 AM

What's the deal with no cameras on the nyc subway?

I read on here that cameras are not allowed (or rather, photo taking, is not allowed on the nyc subway system? One of my favorite things to do is take pics of the subway systems I have travelled to.

Can I take a pic if I keep my flash off????

nytraveler Dec 4th, 2006 07:37 AM

They've had this rule a long time - but since 9/11 have been enforcing it as a security procedure.

You can certainly carry a camera - but if you try to take pictures the police may stop you - or even confiscate the camera (or film) depending on type. (There have been several reports of this and a couple of time the folks taking pictures were even taken to the police station to have their IDs verified.)

Or - no one may notice - or do anything.

It's up to you if you want to risk the problem.

ilovetotravel29 Dec 4th, 2006 07:45 AM

Ok, so I am thinking that what I should possibly do is maybe talk to a station official or a transit cop? Show them my tourist photos and tell them how I love subway systems and can I have just one pic of a subway train?

yay or nay?

GoTravel Dec 4th, 2006 07:48 AM

No. Unless you want to risk having your memory card confiscated.

They do not play around.

GoTravel Dec 4th, 2006 07:48 AM

PS If you talk to a station official, they probably have to call the cops.

HowardR Dec 4th, 2006 07:56 AM

What makes you think that showing them your tourist photos will assure them that you are not a terrorist?
I certainly would not try to sneak a photo, as if you are spied, the fact that if you looked like you were sneaking it would make them more suspicious!

janie Dec 4th, 2006 07:58 AM

Huh? This is becoming a new urban legend.
There was talk of not allowing photography in the subways after 9/11, but no such ruling took effect. You cannot photograph tunnels, and other behind the scenes areas, but there is NO problem with casual photography in the subway
Here is the info direct from the MTA website:
http://www.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm

Section 1050.9
Restricted areas and activities.
Photography, filming or video recording in any facility or conveyance is permitted except that ancillary equipment such as lights, reflectors or tripods may not be used.

michelleNYC Dec 4th, 2006 09:58 AM

I'd like to comment on this since I just witnessed it (with my own eyes -- no urban legend here..). Leaving my office on Friday (this past Friday), I went down to catch the BDVF at Rockefeller Center and there was a woman taking pictures of what seemed like familiy members by the turnstiles. Not one, but two cops went up to her and indicated that she was not permitted to take photographs in the subway. When she insisted that she wanted to take one more, they asked her to move along and "accompanied" her down to the platform. There you go...

janie Dec 4th, 2006 10:22 AM

Go figure.
Family & Friends of mine have often taken pictures in the subways, as recently as this past weekend, with cops around with absolutely no problems.
I suppose they can stop anyone who is acting "suspiciously" or even if they are blocking access to turnstiles, etc, but there have many instances reported on the news here over the past couple of years about how you ARE allowed to take pictures,just like the MTa website says.

bigtyke Dec 4th, 2006 05:21 PM

My son took plenty of video of the subway system. On one occasion a woman told him it wasn't allowed. I wouldn't worry about it, but to be save, don't use a flash and keep an eye out for police.

kp Dec 4th, 2006 05:59 PM

Check: www.nycsubway.org
From the bottom of the list, on the left side, click on Table of Contents. Then at the bottom of the list you'll find the info. you need about photography in and on the transport systems.

Calamari Dec 4th, 2006 06:13 PM

Just got back from a great trip to NYC.. We very rarely took the subway (family of 4) but we did take lots of photos when we did...I did not know about the no photo mandate and nobody ever said anything to us.

Gekko Dec 4th, 2006 06:37 PM

unenforced .. tourists take photos on the subway all the time ... with or without flash ...

Vittrad Dec 4th, 2006 06:43 PM

I just took pictures in the subway a month ago (I love the little quirky sculptures at the 8th Avenue stop), I had a crappy disposable point and shoot and nobody seemed to care. But I've heard stories as well.

Ackislander Dec 5th, 2006 04:00 AM

Read what it says: taking flash photos in the subway or photos with a tripod is prohibited. This goes back a very, very long time, way before 9/11.

Does this mean it is enforced consistently? Obviously not. Are you willing to risk being the one person against whom it is enforced? If so, shoot away. If not, buy a postcard.