Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What's the cutest, most precious, doily-riffic B&B in the whole wide world?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Darvy

What's the cutest, most precious, doily-riffic B&B in the whole wide world? I want a hotel room filled with heavy quilts and hand-made dolls! I want to bask in a goose-down bed! I want to bathe in an old clawfoot and put smelly, yummy bath salts and bubbles in it!

I want cute! I want precious!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 01:51 PM
linda

darvy,
there is a b&b in winderemere in the lake district uk.
it is full of doilys ,cross stiched tiolet paper holders,handmade quilts and hundreds of pictures and paintings of the owners kittens.
in the lounge area she has a victorian dolls house.
all meals and afternoon teas are served on royal doulton china.
we visited about ten years ago ,we left after one night- it scared the life out of us death by chintz

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Maureen

Can you say Wisconsin Dells!!!!!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 05:06 PM
delia

You've simply got to go to the Princess Sun & Moon just outside Austin, Texas! There are paper lanterns all over the property, beautifully lacy and delicate. Flowers and candles everywhere!
The B&B is a beautiful while house with a big turret and stained glass windows. You can sleep in the turret, it has a big canopy bed with about 200 pillows with lace and tassels! You can hardly see the bed! The bedspread is handmade, it's all pastel colors and has beautiful embroidery. All the rooms are full of china dolls or animals or other figurines -- one room is full of about 50 glass and ceramic slippers! It's called the Cinderella room! There is even a magic wand over the door.

At breakfast, you'll see doilies galore, on trays heaped with sticky buns and other goodies. There are two dogs and three cats who live on the property, and every weekend the owner dresses them up and they do a "pet parade" in the yard, ending up in the gazebo! It's so funny and precious!

You will love it, give it a try!

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Yuck

Are you writing yet another travel column? Otherwise there's no excuse for a term like "doily-riffic" -- and actually, there's no excuse for it anyway. "I want cute. I want precious." Yuck.

You owe anyone who responds with an actual suggestion a percentage of your fee, and the rest of us an apology for over-cute-ing us to doily-riffic death.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 07:27 AM
John

Darvy:
The Grange House in Christchurch, New Zealand. A former convent run by Marie Simpson and son Paul. Everything you're looking for.

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Holly

Oh, Yuck, Darvey simply displays a gift for eloquent written expression. Are you truely this dull and devoid of a sense of humor?

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Paper plates

Darvy, I have to agree 100% YUCK- the way you worded this whole thing wants to make me puke!!! Have someone else write your column for you.

Sounds like Barbie and Ken's house. You can buy one at Wal-Mart for under $50

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 09:44 AM
travellyn

The Forget-Me-Not is the closest I have seen to what you have described in the USA. It's just outside of San Marcos, TX.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 12:43 PM
perna

Try the Marten Cottage in New Jersey.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Darvy

There's something a bit "off" with the person who posted this.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 11:42 AM

Topping because this is so freakin' WEIRD!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 12:31 PM
x

Troll

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 12:50 PM
delaurentis

Boy x, you're a genius. Why don't you reply with something more than just "one word." You beldam.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:01 PM
x

Obviously I do seem smarter than someone using the word "beldam".

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:05 PM
x

Beldam=old woman, grandmother.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:08 PM
y

Hey, x ([email protected]):

I don't get it. Wouldn't the person using the more elaborate, obscure slang term be smarter than you, who posted something with only one word? Please explain.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:10 PM
georgeB

Darvy - the Cottonwood Inn in New Oak, Oregon is your place. Lots of doilies and dolls and wool blankets that'll make your head spin. Have fun.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:18 PM
x

Your thinking: NO. But then again, I don't need to prove my intelligence to a 10-year-old.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 12:56 PM
y

Maybe this time, you should.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -