what's the best thing to do in indianapolis in 5 hours

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2000, 01:46 PM
lili

what's the best thing to do in indianapolis in 5 hours

on a saturday

Old May 12th, 2000, 03:07 PM
Want to help...

To help you best, please tell us what you like doing (museums, shopping, etc)?

Old May 16th, 2000, 08:55 AM
peg

Hi -- yes, it would be helpful to know what you enjoy and whether you're visiting between flights, etc. (might kill some of your time traveling from the airport to other spots), however... there is lots to do in Indy with 5 hours and it is a relatively easy city to get around. Depending on what you want to do, you will likely need a car--public transport is minimal.

Near downtown: There is a beautiful museum of southwestern art (name escapes me -- has o'keefe, remington, etc.), a decent zoo with great aquarium and IMAX, etc., and a children's museum, considered one of the top three in the world--it also has an IMAX or similar theatre.

The circle/downtown area is safe, busy, and quite walkable, parking not difficult as long as Pacers, Colts or NCAA aren't playing. There's great shopping at Capitol Center Mall and good dining all over. Also walking distance from the circle is the original public library, one of my favorite buildings, and the magnificent Scottish Rite Cathedral, which I think you can tour. The Indianapolis Museum of Art is wonderful and is located about 5 miles northwest of downtown, on the old Eli Lilly family estate which is beautiful.

Then there's the 500 museum, if you're a racing fan... interesting even if you're not...

If you're a basketball fan, the new Conseco fieldhouse is well worth a visit. If you're a baseball fan, Victory Field is fairly new and a great spot to catch a cheap game with views overlooking downtown.

There are wonderful houses and architecture all along north-south routes out of downtown and to the north side, if you like driving around looking at houses. Much of this area is on the national register of historic places or "one of America's great streets.." something like that.

My feeling is Indy is one of the most underrated cities in the country.

Lots more, feel free to write to me directly with specific questions. I lived there most of my life & am happy to help if I can.

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 07:30 PM
Brian

Indianapolis is a hidden gem. Clean, easy to get around, and friendly people everywhere. I had the pleasure of visiting downtown Indinapolis while I was in a layover. The best way to commute downtown if you don't have much time is by cab ( about 30 dollars roundtrip ). While downtown visit the Centre City Mall and take a gander at the RCA Dome. The State Capitol buliding is beautiful and check out the statue near the mall. Indianapolis really is a great day trip.

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 08:11 PM
kathryn

One of the best Children's Museums in the country!