Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What's the best 2-3 day vacation you've ever had? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/whats-the-best-2-3-day-vacation-youve-ever-had-616388/)

starrsville May 17th, 2006 02:40 PM

What's the best 2-3 day vacation you've ever had?

...and was it a drive-to location or a quick flight there and back?

BuffaloGirl May 17th, 2006 02:52 PM

New Orleans!!!

We flew from Buffalo and arrived at our hotel around 11:00 a.m. on a Thursday. We dropped off our bags and just started walking the FQ. We left NO around noon on Sunday, so we had almost 3 full days. We saw and did a LOT in that little bit of time. We were exhausted, but had a wonderful trip.

I'll never regret that trip. I'm sure NO will come back, but I fear it will never be quite the same it was before Katrina.

GoTravel May 17th, 2006 02:52 PM

NYC!

Always fly.

LoveItaly May 17th, 2006 03:11 PM

Hi starrsville, for me a good 2 or 3 days getaway is usually San Francisco. And of course you have no idea what hotel I generally stay at ;;)

Another lovely quick trip on spur of the moment when we were so stressed out was going to Occidental, Bodega Bay etc..just having those three days was better then then any long trip..no planning..no long drive or airflight etc.

Both quite different but both quite close to where I live.

IMO, especially with the hassles of flying these last years, I don't feel that flying someone for a couple of days is worth it..not if one is looking for some R&R.

kcapuani May 17th, 2006 03:20 PM

Wow - tough question but probably NYC. There's just so much to see and do, and it's a quick flight from Buffalo. At the same time, I can't take being in NYC for much more than 3 days anyways - I start to feel a bit claustrophobic from all the people!

Charleston is a very close second.

JRP May 17th, 2006 03:29 PM

Vegas
San Francisco
Rocky Mountain National Park

Malesherbes May 17th, 2006 03:31 PM

Toss up between a theater weekend in NY or San Francisco and a drive down the coast. Flying.

dwooddon May 17th, 2006 03:31 PM

Mine was just a couple of months ago. I flew from Las Vegas to Burlington, VT via Jet Blue then drove a rental car to Quebec City. Flew Thursday, drove to Quebec Friday. Friday-Sunday in Quebec than Monday back to Burlington and LV.

At least that was the way it was supposed to work. Due to schedule delays, Jet Blue had to put me up in Burlington overnight and I flew back to LV on Tuesday.

It was a long set of flights but a great trip! As an aside, the US Customs officer at the border wondered why I had flown those long distances for just 2 1/2 days in Quebec.

Scarlett May 17th, 2006 03:40 PM

Las Vegas
fly
Montreal
Washington D
drive

razzledazzle May 17th, 2006 03:40 PM

Drive, up & over to Calistoga, CA
Spa
Swim
Sip
Supp
&
Mineral Bubbles
if it had Scuba I would not leave !

R5

nina May 17th, 2006 03:41 PM

3 day vacation to Napa, we flew (we're on the East coast), with 4 other couples, stayed at Chateau de Vie in Calistoga, which is an outstanding B&B and we had the whole inn to ourselves. It was great fun. So much fun that we're doing the exact same trip the exact same weekend with the exact same people this year.

fnarf999 May 17th, 2006 03:47 PM

1. Vancouver, BC, fly (float planes)
2. SF, fly
3. Vancouver, BC, train
4. Coastal Washington, many times, drive
5. Portland, OR, drive

The float plane trip was a GAS. Seattle to Victoria, flying so close to the ground it looks just like the map; then a second leg over the amazing Strait of Georgia islands to Vancouver. You land practically in the middle of downtown. And Vancouver is a terrific city.

Taking the train is nice, too; doesn't really take any longer than driving, when you consider Customs; and you can walk around, sleep, relax, eat, sightsee...

aileen679 May 17th, 2006 03:48 PM

Ah, Yes!!! I remember it well. We dropped two kids and all their plunder off at one college, drove a couple of hours to drop off another one at HIS college, found a place to drop off the U-Haul trailer and then headed to the Tennesee mountains. It was the first time in 20 years that we didn't have to worry about the kids in the back seat or at home.

We just enjoyed the time alone with no responsibilities. I think we had three days and then it was back to work as those paychecks were really, really needed.

The following year, one decided he would rather stay at home and attend the local college. Drat @#%@#!!

Kerry392 May 17th, 2006 03:58 PM

Drive:
-Washington DC
-NYC
-Annapolis

Fly:
-Toronto
-Montreal

I guess it depends on where you live!

Ani May 17th, 2006 04:01 PM

Vegas
Savannah

nina May 17th, 2006 04:05 PM

Oh, for driving vacations, we're lucky enough to be close to some great spots:

Boston
Peru, Vt, ski house
Newport, RI
The Berkshires
Litchfield Hills of CT
Old Lyme, CT beachhouse
The Vineyard
Nantucket
Adirondacks
NYC (although dh "vacations" there everyday)

Statia May 17th, 2006 04:15 PM

I'd have to say the occassional long weekends we would spend with friends who lived about two hours away from Houston in Willis, Texas many moons ago. At the time DH and I were working our tails off and the R&R was always very much needed.

We would drive up, have fireside cocktails and play Pictionary. Then, we would all cook a big dinner together while catching up in conversation. The days were then spent on their boat on Lake Conroe, with more cocktails, of course. :) And, more great food and conversation always followed.

We've had long weekends on St. Maarten, Saba, St. Barth's, St. Kitts, Anguilla, etc. since then, but there was just something about relaxing time with dear friends who we didn't get to see often enough.

iamq May 17th, 2006 04:21 PM

Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur with the top down!

Sea Ranch Vacation Rental with the top up!

-Bill

suze May 17th, 2006 04:23 PM

I never had a vacation quite that short.

I did fly to Waikiki once for only 4 days. That was pretty nice.

PrettyLake May 17th, 2006 07:04 PM

Just this past weekend visiting our son in Washington, DC. I do believe it was the best vacation ever and a wonderful Mother's Day. What more could a mother ask for: 3 days with my husband and son, flew home and had a fabulous dinner prepared by our daughters, son-in-law and soon to be daughter-in-law. I cannot ask for more.