Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What's missing from YOUR hotel room?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/whats-missing-from-your-hotel-room-632595/)

DebitNM Jul 20th, 2006 03:25 PM

What's missing from YOUR hotel room??

Having just gotten back from a mini-vaction, I thought I would pose this question..."If you could tell hotel management what you would "like to have in your room" what would it be??

1- A real exhaust fan in the bathroom
2- A can of "oust" {in case #1 isn't possible}
3- A magnifying mirror in the bathroom
4- A corkscrew
5- A coffee maker with real mugs...no paper cups
6- More hangers in closet

Let's see what the rest of you think!
Debi

FainaAgain Jul 20th, 2006 03:28 PM

I'd love to have a nice view! (parking lot is NOT a view :(( )

kgh8m Jul 20th, 2006 03:39 PM

I'm understandably wary of hotel comforters, so I'd love it if all hotels would wrap their comforters in washable sheets. Also, better bathroom lighting.

I'd rather have disposable beverage cups, as there was a gross thread on this board recently about hotels not cleaning glassware thoroughly (or with the same rag as is used in the bathrooms).

LLindaC Jul 20th, 2006 03:46 PM

A view is not necessary in Birmingham. Different in resort areas. However,those 2 cup coffee makers with one pack of regular coffee SUCK. I always have my own corkscrew, but 2 real wineglasses would be nice. Soap. No kidding, just back from Europe and 5 hotels had "gel packs". No ashtrays and non-smoking. Someday. A hair dryer where you don't have to hold the button down. Newspapapers in the lobby. Somebody at the front desk. Honestly, in Filisurs the waitresses had desk duty..not good. And I don't like blood stains on carpet...beware any Days Inn properties in Miami Florida. And drug dealers outside the front door, go elsewhere.

Anonymous Jul 20th, 2006 03:49 PM

Yeah, "No drug dealers" is high on my list, too.

nytraveler Jul 20th, 2006 03:52 PM

A decent shower. I'm spoiled beccause I live in a pre-war apartment with 11" ceilings - so the shower head is WAY above me.

I'm only 5'9" and in many hotels I have to duck my head to wash my hair - do they assume everyone in the world is 5" tall?

Also - a little more water will help. It's going to take the same amount to get the shampoo and cream rinse out of my hair - why make me stand there forever to get it - instead of having a reasonable amount emerge at once and save me some time?

FainaAgain Jul 20th, 2006 03:54 PM

Can I swap those triangles on toilet paper roll for another shampoo bottle? Doesn't matter how many people in the room, doesn't matter how many beds, it's always only 1 shampoo.

Malesherbes Jul 20th, 2006 03:54 PM

My rooms must have an in-room safe. Lots of plump pillows--no foam please. BIG towels. Double sheeting nice.

What's with the hairdryers where you have to hold the button down? I've only run into that in France and what a pain that is!

Malesherbes Jul 20th, 2006 03:56 PM

Uh...:) make that triple sheeting!!

MikeT Jul 20th, 2006 04:00 PM

a room next to it without kids or dogs

Zoom Jul 20th, 2006 04:14 PM

Separate bottles of shampoo and conditioner not just one bottle of "conditioning shampoo." Cheap!

beentheretwice Jul 20th, 2006 04:21 PM

Spent the night in a hotel in Goodland, CO, and I had to call the front desk for lightbulbs. I need lightbulbs, please.

Not much between Kansas City and Denver. No other reason to visit Goodland, either.

schmerl Jul 20th, 2006 04:23 PM

Decent pillows. Why do most hotels/resorts have such flat pillows????

LoveItaly Jul 20th, 2006 04:41 PM

A good size counter around the bathroom sink so there is a place to put your toiletries. Pedastal sinks with perhaps just a tiny glass shelf above the sink just doesn't work! Oh, hangers that are for skirts and pants.

Regarding lights. A decent light in the bathroom especially over the mirror and also at the bed so one can read in bed if one wishes too.

Just a few of my request Debi.

jennhawk Jul 20th, 2006 04:52 PM

A quiet heating/cooling device. Earplugs just aren't enough to block out that low hum.
And bottles of water-espcially in places where water is questionable. Having to pump water through a filter to brush teeth in the morning is not fun.

cfntmpn Jul 20th, 2006 04:52 PM

A robe and plenty of foam (not feather) pillows.

DebitNM Jul 20th, 2006 04:52 PM

EEEWWWW cleaning the mugs ~o) with the same cloth from the bathroom! :-<

Here's another...we stayed in an "accessible" room as it was the only king non-smoking room available. Now I understand the need for things to be lowered BUT I think in all fairness, some people who need these rooms may actually be traveling with folks who don't need these accomodations so how about 1 rack in the closet being at normal height? And the accessible shower should be larger, I could hardly fit in there without using the bench.

And the housekeepers should be required to check and make sure the alarm clock is turned off! I cannot believe how many times it has gone off at 6 AM {I keep meaning to check it myself when I first get into the room but somehow it gets overlooked.

And yes pillows...after they have gone to the trouble of putting in those nice beds in so many hotels...pancake pillows.

And please, make all the linens more than 180 thread count and make them white. And change the duvet or sheets around the blanket, please. I agree that triple sheets is a good thing.

Debi

grantop Jul 20th, 2006 05:06 PM

Decent coffee with the in-room coffee maker, and could I please have more than 1 packet a day?

saps Jul 20th, 2006 05:08 PM

Snacks in the mini bar that I don't have to get a loan to afford.

Dick Jul 20th, 2006 05:21 PM

low wattage...dim light bulbs

who are they kidding..its not to be energy efficient its just being cheap