Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What would you see and do if you had one day in Charleston?

Old Dec 25th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Time of year: Sometime in the few days following Christmas - in other words, one day this week.

Need some advice on where to eat (southern cuisine, ideally), what to see (we'd like to walk through the prettiest neighborhoods/streets, among other things) AND where to stay. (I know that the really nice, popular places are likely to be already booked, but...)

Thank you so much for your input!

Old Dec 25th, 2007, 09:13 AM

I would definitely do a carriage ride with the Palmetto Carriage Company on Market Street. They take you through the prettiest neighborhoods and give you historical context on the houses, architecture, etc. Then if you want to continue exploring you will have a sense on where to walk.
For food go to the Hominy Grill. Amazing southern food and very reasonably priced. If you want something fancier for dinner, make sure you go for brunch.
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Sound like excellent suggestions!!
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 10:03 AM
dmlove

We did a "self-walking" tour that we loved -- walked all the way down Bay, then E. Battery, then S. Battery, back to Broad Street and where it meets King/Meeting, and everywhere in between. You can see the area on this map. It took hours -- the residential architecture is fantastic, and you end up on King Street, where you can have a bite to eat or shop, or whatever. We did it in the dead heat of July! Zoom in on this map to the 3rd level from the top and you can see the area I mean.

http://tinyurl.com/2yc7hm

Old Dec 25th, 2007, 10:29 AM

dmlove, your link leads to Afghanistan.
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 10:45 AM
dmlove

Budman, yesterday when I linked to a "tinyurl", it did link to something I never saw before, but this one opens for me on a map of Charleston (as I intended ), so I was just wondering if you were serious.

Old Dec 25th, 2007, 10:52 AM

Actually, I got an error message. It linked to the country of Afghanistan and city of Charleston, and the error message says "Invalid State/Province abbreviation."
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 12:26 PM

I would do a carriage tour, tour either Magnolia or Middleton Place plantation, and eat dinner at Magnolia's.
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 04:38 PM

I would spend the entire day in the Historic district, if you will only have one day. There are tons of historic homes to tour, if you enjoy that sort of thing. Some of my favorites are the Nathaniel Russell House, which has a gorgeous "flying" staircase, the Edmonston-Alston House, where almost all the furnishings are original to the house, and the Aiken-Rhett House, which was actually an urban plantation and still has the old slave quarters and outbuildings (including the privy!).

If you want to walk, it's fun to go down Meeting St. and look at all the gorgeous homes. When you reach White Point Gardens and the Battery area, turn left onto E. Battery and follow it up until it becomes E. Bay. By taking this route, you can gaze out at Fort Sumter, see "Rainbow Row", and if the weather is nice, detour down to the Waterfront Park and look across the river to Mt. Pleasant and the USS Yorktown. When you get tired of walking, do some shopping. The market that runs down N. and S. Market Streets is a fun place to browse for souvenirs. If you want some serious shopping, head over to King St. where you can find just about anything you are in the mood to look for.

Food.....We've had great meals at the Hominy Grill, particularly breakfasts. Other places that I think of as having more "southern" cooking include Magnolia's and S.N.O.B. Slightly more upscale is the Peninsula Grill, home of my favorite dessert ever...the coconut cake.

Where to stay...Two of the more reasonably priced places that we've stayed downtown are the Meeting Street Inn and the Andrew Pinckney Inn. If price is no object, then look at the Planter's Inn, Charleston Place, the French Quarter Inn....there are quite a few upscale places downtown . Just from past trips during the post-Christmas week, it seems like things sort of slow down until you get close to New Year's, so you may luck up on someplace nice.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 04:48 AM

We enjoyed the boat ride out to Ft. Sumter and the Park Service ranger-led tour. If you have an interest in Civil War history, this is a "must see". You could do this tour and still have time for a carriage ride and/or walk around the historic part of Charleston.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 06:32 AM

I second elsiemoo; we loved touring the plantations, and Magnolia's was a fabulous spot for dinner.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 06:37 AM

Forgot to say ... the Harbour View Inn is a great place to stay, right across the street from the water, with a fabulous staff!
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 10:57 AM

Just adding a few small suggestions for your day...if you want to relax for a little while, go down to Waterfront Park, sit in the swinging benches and enjoy the view of ships & sailboats on the river, as well as Ft. Sumter.

Enjoy fresh-from-the-oven Pralines at "River Street Sweets". Soooo good!

End the day with a drink on the rooftop "Pavilion Bar" - great view, good appetizers.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 09:10 PM

Katherine:
Here is the link to a recent trip report of mine on my visit to Charleston, it might help you make some choices!

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=35085382

We stayed at Harborview - loved it !
ONe day: I'd probably divide if I could fit it, between the Gullah Tour early in the day, then get the pamphlet mentioned at the adjacent tourist ctr and do the walk from harborview/park/down Rainbow Row to all the historic houses (walking tour area) and see one house inside if you could - and I'd do a light quick lunch and opt for a great dinner rather than use up too much of my day time eating - but if you can stay overnight, any chance of having part of the next day in Charleston too?

Good luck choosing - it is so hard in that city - I have been twice now and can't wait to go back again this spring -

have fun !