Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What was your favorite summer family vacation with young children?....Looking for ideas.

What was your favorite summer family vacation with young children?....Looking for ideas.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:46 AM
mom

We've done Disneyworld, Disneyland, LA area beaches, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington D.C., Seattle, Alaska, Baltimore, and New York City. We're planning a Disney Cruise (3 day to save money) for next summer. Looking for new places to visit during the summer with our four children (18 months, 3 yrs and 2 preteens). We live in the desert southwest but are willing to go almost anywhere in the U.S. or Canada. Anyone have any particularly memorable, pleasant vacation spots they visited with your young children?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 04:56 AM
Nancy

Yellowstone, Jackson Hole and Rafting down the Snake River. My parents took our family when I was 10 and I still remember it vividly (I am 44 now....)

Grand Canyon would be a close second, but I think you actuall have to be older to appreicate the incredible job nature did there.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:07 AM
Sarah

Hi Mom,

Not a mom here so maybe you will see ideas here that don't work well in practise. Just writting this quickly so pardon my grammar, spelling, typos.

My best experience with kids is introducing them to something new. I have taken kids to Hawaii a few times. Love getting them out in Nature watching there reactions to this. Hiking, Kayaking and snorkeling. We had babies near us on the plane on two different trips from CA to Honolulu and Kauai. So I don't know that babies on planes is always a no no, these kids never ever cried but were awake and playing with mom on both trips. Went with all differnt age groups on different trips, youngest being 7 oldest being 17.

If I could not go to Europe with my kids (nieces and nephews, step kids) I would consider Quebec city and the gaspe penninsula.

St.Lawrence river up by Tadousac (just 4 hours from Quebec city has three different kinds of whales in early to mid August (beluga, minky and Blue). I remember sitting on a rock jetty when a while took a dip near this edge, NO JOKE!. A lot of boats to take out. Quebec city is the closest thing to Europe you will find in North America. Sister took her kids there and they make pilgramges back every other year.

Along the Gaspe Pennisula you have many natural wonders. You want to drive around the ring over the course of 1-2 weeks. Too many sights and towns to list. There is also the tallest peak in the North East Mount Jacque. If you camp near here in August you might catch sights of some moose. I did not camp but I did see some caribou on the nearby mountain when hike up with a group from my hotel. I stayed at a hostel in nearby Mount San Pierre (hang gliding capital of North America). Also found sand dollars on this beach. This place is also a nice respite from the hot humidity of the US NE in August. It is more like September/October weather in August. Also take a look at MT. Forllion Park, Pierce.

That's all there are great tourist boards out there to help you with more details.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:30 AM
joan

Our favorite kids trips were to Grenada and Tortola. In Grenada, we made it a goal to find the seven different waterfalls on the island, which was fun because the locals come out of the woodwork, most are kids, and they took our kids jumping off the rocks. The Saturday market was a real eye-opener for the kids, although yours are still in the stroller stage, might be a bit of chore for walking. In Tortola we stayed in a villa at the Long Bay Beach Resort, snorkeled daily, cooked a couple of times (the restaurant helped us out with salads - we brought our own steaks with us). One night we went to Mrs. Scatliffe's restaurant, which is really her home, and she sang for us from the Bible after dinner. A great experience, the kids still talk about that.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:37 AM
x

Our favorite was probably a dude ranch.

We went to the Lane Guest Ranch in Estes Park, Colorado. Horses, hiking, rafting, swimming pool. Everything, including the food, was wonderful.

Downside: very expensive.

Lane's ad is running daily this week on page A3 of the Wall Street Journal. Or see laneguestranch.com.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:43 AM
justa

The mountains of NC/Tenn. Some Civil War history mixed with beautiful days in the mountains and woods.
Tucson Az. Sedona, Old Tucson, Senora Desert Museum, San Xaviers Mission, a really cool hotel. Horseback riding at sunset in the foothills.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 05:57 AM
Nostalgic

We used to get together with our cousins...(four families). Each family would rent their own cottage on Lake Michigan, in the state of Michigan, for 2 weeks....we'd be on the beach all day and either have a bon-fire on the beach at night or play cards, board games or charades...no TV...never even missed it. Everybody pitched in with cooking, cleaning, setting the table, whatever, so the adults (read: moms)had a vacation, too.
Sometimes the cheapest vacations turn out to be the best....we all have great memories of those summers.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 06:56 AM
x

okanagan valley in british columbia...vernon, penticton, kelowna area. plenty of lakes, waterparks, nice hikes. great area for families (and our dollar sucks so it's affordable).

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 07:31 AM
gail

Catalina....I appreciated the beach when our son was young. They have planned activities (races etc) for younger childen in the summer and I liked that the area was limited for the teenagers to have some freedom and still check in (In a cool way of course). There are very few cars on the island, so that in my mind makes it safer for children. The first time we went on the flying fish boat trip wa pretty exciting for all. Our daUghter even went back to work there as a the Catalina Co for a summer. we have spent more and gone further, but we have lasting fond memories of "26 miles across the sea".

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Rachel

We loved the coast of Maine when our kids were young. The water is cold for swimming but when the kids were younger they were more interested in the sand anyways. Portland is a nice city and has a minor league baseball team-entertaining and inexpensive; cruises to see scenery and sea lions (fun), probably whale watch cruises too but I dont remember. Freeport, where LLBean is located is an outlet town and fun if you like shopping. Best beach places to stay are south of Portland, but really only 15-30 minutes away (Ogunquit, Kennibunkports, Wells, Old Orchard Beach, etc) The LL Bean store has a pond in it. We havent ventured inland in Maine but it is also known for its lakes. You can make your way up the coast to Acacia National Park-more rugged coastline, hiking, etc. One of my favorite aspects of Maine is having fresh lobster everyday. You could also tie in a trip to Boston to make this a great vacation. If you're living in the SW, this would be a real change for you.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 07:59 AM
rachel

had one more thought after posting-Muskoka (sp?) area in Ontarion, Canada. there are lots of resorts there on the many lakes which offer activities for everyone. Also a place called the Fern, also in Ontario on a different lake. These are very scenic parts of Canada (think lakes, hills, pine trees, and moose). These lodges/resorts offer meals and activities in their price and with the strong US dollar, are a great buy. go to the canada board for better info.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 08:07 AM
l

Hi Mom. I just asked my kids, ages 8 and 5, what their favorite vacations were. They were in total agreement that Hawaii is No. 1. But, we went in Nov. when it is colder where we live. They also enjoyed our trip up to Niagara Falls. If we had had more time we would have gone on up to Toronto, which I have heard has lots of things to do--a great science center and a zoo. When they were really little (1 and 4), we took a camping trip to Colorado. We stayed in a pop-up camper at a campground in Estes Park, and went up into Rocky Mtn. Natl. park every day. They really loved exploring and seeing wildlife. But, maybe camping isn't your thing. You could, however, find a hotel or lodge and still be able to explore nature.

San Antonio was also a fun place with lots to do for kids--some expensive, some not. Sea World, Alamo, River Walk, the zoo...

Other places we have visited and enjoyed, although not necessarily at the top of our list--Chicago and St. Louis. We like science museums and zoos. Chicago has a neat children's museum that your kids would love--something for every age. Have fun planning!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:05 AM
J Correa

When I was a kid, my favorite vacations were when we rented a cabin on a lake for a week where we could swim, take out row boats on the lake, fish, hike, have camp fires, play cards, and basically just hang out. It was always more fun if there was another family because there were more kids and also the parents always seemed to have a better time too.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Pam

Another vote for Niagra Falls. My kids absolutely loved it! Actually thanked us for "making" them go (they were preteens at the time).

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Monica

Clearly not in the US or Canada, but Costa Rica is great for children. Exotic animals everywhere (monkeys, sloths, scarlet macaws, etc), the locals love children, and there is a good tourist infrastructure so it's easy to travel.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Michele

My favorite vacation when I was a kid (6, am now 42) was going to Yellowstone. I remember that trip more than any other as a kid. The bears, the geysers, and just being in a forest setting. And ranger letting me wear his hat for part of a tour was a big hit as well.

We also visited Hoover Dam on that trip, and I remember that as being really interesting as well.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:13 PM
xx

My kids favorite vacation was to Colorado. We rode horses, hiked, rented mt. bikes, white water rafted and just hung out in the beautiful mountains.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Mykidslike

My kids are gone now, but 10 years ago we did several pricey ones and western USA national parks, but their absolute favorite was Mears, Michigan. Sand dunes,dune buggies, water sports and kids' paradise- plus they could "hang" in some safety. Still hearing about it through the grapevine. (And I thought I was with them all the time.) The entire Lake Michigan coastline has its attractions but this area around Silver Lake and the Silver Lake Sand Dunes is terrific. It is NOT an ocean or gulf beach but the whole package is as about as good as it gets for families with energetic and adventurous kids. It can get somewhat crowded- but it is just too far out of the way for the traveling / marketing genius to package. I sure hope some outfit doesn't try to package the area, like they have Saugatuck and the other coastal towns that are just touristy now.

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Kathy

I think that the suggestions for national parks (Yellowstone) will suit your older kids but not your younger ones. We went to Yellowstone and Grand Teton 2 summers ago and I can't imagine what I would have done with toddlers. It would have really interfered with the outdoor activities there. Any trip involving hiking, rafting etc. is not suited to toddlers. I think that a beach vacation interests kids of all ages. What about the Carolinas? The outer banks area of North Carolina or Hilton Head in South Carolina?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:51 PM
MomBear

Starting when the kids were in diapers, we joined with 3 other families and have gone to the beach in Delaware. Now, 18 years later, it is heresy to suggest not going for the first week of August (we used to do 2). It was great for little kids to play and safe to wander. Parents could relax & not drag everything around an share eating duties. There seems little point in spending a lot on the wee ones, and preteens don't like to change every night & pick in the car & are easily bored with spectular scenary after a while. That said, do Colorado or other Mountain States as a relatively easy, but different place to explore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -