Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What was your favorite American travel moment of the year?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Missiepie started a thread over on the European board asking everyone what their single best travel moment was this last year. I am enjoying reading those responses, so I hope she won't mind if we also ask folks what their single best travel moment was in the US in 2007. Since she also travels in the US, maybe she will join in too.

I'd have to say mine was during a hike in Kings Canyon National Park. Early spring, so scattered snow on ground, crisp cool air, I was hiking alone and didn't have to go far to have the woods to myself. So magestic and peaceful walking among those giant sequoias with only the sounds of nature.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 02:41 PM

Seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time--brought tears to my eyes. DH and I stood in awe the entire time we were there.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A sudden cloudburst on a sultry August day on Royale Street, waiting for my wife outside an antique shop.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 02:51 PM

staying at the Signature Hotel Las Vegas in November, which was a dream, and bumping into James Taylor in the lobby. (We were on our way to his concert that evening!) Fantastic!
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 03:08 PM

Mine is rain in New Orleans too

My husband and I were touring the Gallier House during our trip to New Orleans in June. No one else was on the tour, so we had the guide to ourselves and were having a terrific time - asking all the questions we wanted, taking extra time in the different rooms to see what we what we wanted to see.

It was raining pretty good and when we were in the kitchen of the house, lightning struck very close to the house and electrified the air. All the metal in the kitchen sort of buzzed. It was a very strange feeling. Neat, but strange.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 06:30 PM

Watching glaciers calve in Alaska.
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 07:01 PM

Sitting with my feet dangling in Lake Couer D'Alene and getting a cell phone call that my newest grandchild had been born (she is the 6th).
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 08:07 PM
JRP

Tough one...

poolside with the family at The Hyatt in San Diego.

Dodger Stadium with the family.

Coors Field with the family.

Petco Park with the family.

Wrigley Field with the boyz.

Cleveland with THE WHOLE family.

A very quiet weekend in Vail with the family.

Can you tell that I love being at ballparks and with the family?
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 08:55 PM

Sunrise at Bryce Canyon National Park in October.

Getting together in July with a small group of Christian Tolkien fans. We've known each other online for years, but most of us had never met face to face. It was great!

Lee Ann
Old Dec 22nd, 2007, 11:17 PM

Being told my mom didn't break or dislocate a single bone in her body after a horrific fall, and that if she should so choose, she could go on the cruise ship that morning.

After that, it was definitely all of us sitting at our balcony on the cruise ship as we passed Mt. Kilauea. I had a great time watching my parents and uncle enjoy the view. It was our first truly happy moment that vacation.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 04:22 AM

Watching the Naval Air and Sea Show in Ft. Lauderdale this May. What a magnificent display and made us SO proud!
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 04:55 AM

Two moments-same trip

Seeing our first green flash at sunset in South Kona

Enjoying our morning coffe in the ocean-front gazebo at our vacation rental in Ke'ei and a whale breaching about 100 yards off-shore
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 05:20 AM

Hiking in the southwest (utah and arizona) with my family.

Not only is the scenery awesome, but the kids liked it just as much as my husband and I.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 05:32 AM

Two: romping on the beach in Coronado with our dog on a perfect August morning. Walking along the Grand Canyon south rim on a cold morning in November and having big stretches of it all to ourselves.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 06:47 AM

Listening to my son literally cooing with delight as he waded in with the fish at Discovery Cove in Florida. Probably the single best moment of what was a very good vacation.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 07:01 AM

Watching the sunrise and the morning unfold from the end of the Hanalei pier in Hanalei, Kaua'i.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 09:29 AM

Mine happened on my solo road trip along the coast from Seattle to SF and back--while there were many great moments on that trip, the best was driving the scary, narrow dirt road off Hwy 1 north of Fort Bragg to Sinkyone Wilderness State Park and walking on the deserted beach there. The first view of the beach below from the road high above was absolutely breathtaking.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 09:53 AM
TahitiTams

Going to the airport for a trip and seeing a soldier coming home and being reunited with his family..

Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 10:21 AM

Our honeymoon in Key west. We stayed at The Garden Hotel-a perfect place.
Old Dec 23rd, 2007, 10:25 AM

Celebrating DD's 24 bd in NYC going to dinner at Remis, Carmen at Lincoln Center, and drinks back at the Crowne Plaza where we were staying. Watching her flag down a cab like a native was a thrill, and of course, seeing her growth and excitement while she's in lawschool becoming a very amazing young woman is truly a thrill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -