Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

what was the rudest service you ever recieved while traveling?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what was the rudest service you ever recieved while traveling? was it at a hotel/motel? at a restaurant or bar in an airport terminal? did a taxi offer poor service? any restaurants you dined at? any stores you shopped at? if you enjoyed a wonderful trip somewhere, and one little experience sunk the ship. let us know about it.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:31 AM

Is this a troll question?
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:34 AM
GoTravel

Well, there was this one time Budman finished his beer right before I finished mine and DID NOT reorder for me while reordering his own beer.

I thought that was a pretty blatant beer foul.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
no one has ever been rude to me when i travel.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:36 AM

Unfortunately, one of my favorite places - Puerto Vallarta -- but I won't hold it against the town. AVIS car rental at the airport -- booked in May '05 for December '05; they sent me many confirmations -- but alas, no car when I arrived - so annoying and no apologies -- someone just hadn't returned it. Can you imagine that happening in the US?
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:37 AM

I wonder the same about these, Budman.

Why does one want to know? How will knowing what may have happened to me enhance or detract from their travels? Besides, I like to remember the positive and forget the negative, unless it was so negative that I must insist the situation be corrected. And if it's corrected, there's no longer anything to write about.

And why does the O.P. ask about ours, yet offer none of his/her own??
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:37 AM

I apologize. How can I make it up to you? How about during the oyster roast in September?
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:42 AM
GoTravel

Well there ya go. Since Budman is making it up to me, I've never had a rude experience while traveling.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:42 AM

About 10 years ago in Savannah, we went to the Pink House for dinner. We did not have a reservation and it was mid week and there was NOTHING going on in town..and the restaurant was nearly empty. The woman at the desk was quite rude. We were summarily told to go somewhere and find a phone, make a reservation and then come back. I really though she was joking. She wasn't. We left, we did find a phone, we made the reservation and then went somewhere else to eat. It was such a nasty experience that I didn't go back to Savannah for years. Did go back last year..had a wonderful time..and we ate everywhere but at the Pink House.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

because i have never had a bad experience while traveling. however, this is a travel forum and mishaps like these unfortunately do occur. true, some experiences are better left forgotten. but for those who wish to share their experiences with others, this would be the purpose of this thread.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:48 AM

Be a gentelman and get a beer for the lady Budman!

Rudest behavior: We booked into a hotel room in Jerusalem and found another couple already inside when we unlocked the door. The hotel knew it was double booked and that they already checked into that room.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:51 AM

The rudest experience I've witnessed as a traveler was at a very pleasant penzione in Venice. A fiftiesh woman who looked a bit like Joanne Worley from the old Laugh-In show was screaming in a NY-NJ accent at the poor penzione hostess for not allowing her to use the penzione phone to make a call. However, a sign at the desk of the penzione made it clear that guests could not use the establishment's one phone, for reasons readily apparent. To top it off, the American woman complained loudly that the Venetian woman knew exactly what she was saying and was only pretending not to understand English. In fact, the poor hostess knew very little English but she did have credible forebearance. Although I am a proud American, I was more than a little ashamed at this ugly American.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:05 PM

I don't know if this is the absolute rudest, but...we were at Epcot in Disneyworld, trying to order from the Morrocan counterservice restaurant. There were two salads that featured couscous and I wanted to know the difference between them. No matter what I asked, the girl at the counter (who spoke perfect English) answered in a totally bored, deadpan voice, "Couscous is a pasta, m'am." I think I could have asked her what time it was and she would have said "Couscous is a pasta, m'am." It became a running joke the whole trip.

Of course, the experience that made us the maddest was when the rental car place at Midway gave us a car with a leak in the tire (we noticed the tire was low right away but the guy said it was due to the cold)...so we come out of the Museum of Sciene and Industry to a totally flat tire...the spare was one of those little play tires. My husband called the rental place to complain and they finallhy brought a replacement car. BUT THEN, they had the nerve to charge us for not returning the original car with a full tank of gas!!!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:40 PM

Jbass, not trying to be snippy but that kind of thing happens all the time in the good ol'USA. Happened to us in Tucson.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I would have to say it was the time a young man put his hand up my skirt and grabbed me as I walked up the stairs to my room in a Pension on Rome.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 02:11 PM

I don't remember--I focus on what is good rather than harbor hurt. Sorry I can't help.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 02:21 PM
emd

There was the desk clerk in the D.C. hotel who called me at 2 am telling me I had to come down and pay cash immediately for my room because my credit card was denied (not true, his mistake).

But guess what? I was not happy w/the 2 am call so I left that hotel the next day and checked into another hotel sdown the street. And behind the desk at that second hotel was the cutest young male desk clerk. We immediately struck up a conversation. And that second desk clerk and I are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary this October! I am so glad that first desk clerk called me and woke me up so rudely that night at 2 a.m. Otherwise I never would have met Mr. emd.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 02:24 PM

Love it! That's one of the best stories I have heard in a long time!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 02:26 PM

emd,.thats the best post i ever read.."sniff"..im running low on tissues!!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 02:37 PM

Love it, EMD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -