Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What trip should we skip with only one week on the Big Island, HI?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all.
We're traveling to the Big Island and staying in Kona over Christmas, but we only have one week. We're trying to prioritize our activities for this trip. What have you done during your stay that you wished you had skipped? (and I don't mean drinking too many Mai Tais )

I'm not a great swimmer, so scuba/snuba, surfing, boarding are out. Here's the list I'm trying to narrow down. Feel free to suggest anything that I haven't thought of. But please tell me what not to waste my time on for this first trip.

1. Mauna Kea summit
2. Volcano Nat. Park (hoping for lava flows)
3. Flumin' da ditch
4. Submarine cruise
5. Dinner Cruise
6. Luau
7. general drive to see waterfalls and other landscape

We're youngish... not extremely athletic, but want to do some hiking. However, really difficult hikes would not be my idea of vacation. What do you think?
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 05:03 PM

If we've had lots of rain, a trip to Mauna Kea might be prohibited due to snow...

Flumin' da Ditch is nice, but if you're expecting a white-water thrill ride, you'll be disappointed.

The drive down the leeward (eastern) side of the island can be delightful. Give yourself all day to do it (long drive, and lots to see along the way). No guarantee of seeing lava flowing, but it's well worth going that way.

I'd also suggest that if time permits, you take a drive north, cut over to Waimea (Kamuela), then up to Hawi (great rural views of _vast_ rolling ranchland), and back down the coastal road to Kona. This can be an all-day, stop-everywhere-interesting drive, or just a half-day, drive-n-gawk tour.

Old Dec 4th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Chatters

The submarine cruise was totally lame. We thought we were going to see all the aquatic life...WRONG. I still have nightmares because there were two subs and one of them tried to simulate a "near miss" by approaching our sub too close. The crew thought it was hilarious. I thought it was not cool at neither did most of the passengers. Not recommended at all. Total waste of time and money.

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 04:59 AM
bonniebroad

With just one week on the Big Island, I would not go down around the Southern tip. So much time in the car, and the scenery doesn't compare with the Northern route..... I'd save that for another visit.

I have never done a submarine ride, but I frequently hear of people being disappointed in them. I WOULD do a luau, if it's your first trip to Hawaii... Hokey, yes, but you gotta do it once! A less expensive but quite good one, for what it is, is at the Waikoloa Beach Marriott. Have a wonderful trip.

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 06:38 AM

I'll also agree to skip the submarine cruise. I'm claustrophobic, so you couldn't pay me to go on one of those!

I'll also say to skip the dinner cruise. They are horribly overpriced and the food is usually poor quality. There are many nice restaurants along Alihi Drive in Kona that have a view of the bay, so make reservations to have a nice dinner and watch the sun set from there!

DO get a car and drive around to see the scenery! The BI is SO beautiful! I especially liked the Kohala Coast up North. There were lots of cool shops and we ate a good lunch at the Rainbow.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 06:46 AM

1 and 2 are must do's in my view. In fact, seeing the stars at night from Mauna Kea (the visitor center) was something Mrs. MileKing and myself will not soon forget. Incredible and fascinating are just two of the words I would use to describe the experience.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 08:14 AM

Thanks Mileking and others... I'll make the Mauna Kea thing my #1 priority for the BI. We get into the BI on a mid morning flight and plan to get to the Kileaua Lodge, relax for a bit, then get to Arnotts for the group tour. Did YOU do the group tour? With whom?

Other than that, we are unforunately staying at the Four Seasons BI the next 3 nights so we feel obliged NOT to leave the property due to the high hotel rates there. Wouldn't want to drift away too far from that money'd experience . Then our 5th night we'll be a the Hapuna where we plan to spend the day at the beach there and chill some more. This will be the relaxing part of our 16 night vacation on Oahu, Maui and the BI. I'm sure we'll have time in there the day we drive from Kilauea to the FS hotel to see a bit of Volcano Nat Pk, as my wife's never seen it. It will probably be a highlight of the trip.

Steve R
Maryland
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

OK, so no sub tour. How about a glass bottom boat? Has anyone done this?
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 11:02 AM

I did the Mauna Kea tour with Arnotts and thought it was a very good trip. Since you're in that area, the Puna district just blew me away for natural beauty, unique sights/experiences, and lack of tourists.
The volcano should be your #1 priority, lava or no. We did the Kilauea Iki trail hike and that was amazing. Through lush rainforest and then across a steaming crate floor. So much better seeing it up close than just driving around the park and looking from the view points.

Definitely stop by the Place of Refuge - beautiful, special place. We did a nice day stopping there, the painted church, a coffee farm, and Kona.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 11:20 AM

Thanks pb and j. I hear ya about the volcano being our #1 priority, but my secret priority unbeknownst to my wife is that I get my a** to the top of Mauna Kea! I'm a member of the highpointers club and it's my silly goal to get to the high point of every state, as it's the same goals for all it's members. This will probably be my only shot to do Hawaii's highest point, as well as a personal goal to get to the top of the tallest mountain on the face of the planet (Mauna Kea is - from the ocean floor ) Plus, this will be an easy high point as it's 99% a drive to the top then a very short walk. I did the tallest mtn in the lower 48 earlier this year in California, Mt Whitney. That was a very difficult 2 day hike from hell!

I'll try to get to that Puna district and the Place of Refuge too if possible. My wife's not much of a hiker and I am, so I don't want to push her too much during the day...

Steve
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 02:03 PM

The Big Island has that nickname for a reason. Plan your itinerary carefully to minimize the time you spend driving to the various sights/sites.

I enjoy eating at good restaurants on vacation, so I avoid luaus.