Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What trip did you dread that turned out to be a winner?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 09:43 AM
T.M.

I'm curious to know how many here were slated to take a trip to a destination they were dreading and it turned out to be a pleasant surprise. What made you change your mind?

We so often read about the sour ones. Let's hear about the sweet ones.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 09:45 AM
xxx

Is this a two part essay question and do we get extra credit for spelling?

How sweet it is!

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 09:50 AM
MarySue

I was dreading going to Los Angeles/southern California for a business trip last winter. I had never been there and really had no desire to go. With all the horror stories of the traffic and endless sprawl that I have heard all my life I thought I would hate it. Gosh, I was pleasantly surprised. It probably helped that I coming from Kentucky in the dead of winter and it was such a joy to see flowers blooming and green grass and trees, but I thought the area was nice. Sure the traffic is bad, but I didn't find it any worse or intimidating than Atlanta or other large cities (maybe I was just lucky). I got to visit some great places - Santa Barbara, La Jolla, the Getty Museum - and I can't wait to go back to see more. I can see why people want to live there.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 11:08 AM
OliveOyl

Chicago...great job offer for husband. I was certain I'd hate it but went to see...and was wowed. What a fantastic city. Ultimately he decided against the transfer...cost of housing was astronomical compared to Dallas where we lived, and then there's those winters...but what a terrific city!

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 12:51 PM
Ally

Phoenix. Not because I thought I'd hate the city, or area, but because I was going to visit my father, who I'd not seen in 25 years, or even talked to in 10 yrs. (Parents divorced when I was young, mom moved the kids to Texas, Dad stayed in California, and we just lost track of each other) Anyway, I found out I really LIKE my father and plan to go see him again next March.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 03:50 PM
Marie

Ally - what a heartwarming post -- God Bless both you and your long lost father. Marie

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 04:00 PM
sss

I feared traveling solo as a women in Turkey in 92. I remember hearing about white females being kidnapped and put into some kind of slavery. I had the best trip ever!!! I would recommend turkey to anyone, one of the most diverse landscapes in that region of the world. The history will take your breath away.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 04:33 PM
F Lee

I was going to my Mother-inlaw's last weekend, and saw a bus full of Lawyers go off a cliff. I felt sad because it looked like a new bus.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 04:36 PM
Thyra

Boston!!! I remember visiting Boston as a child and I didn't care for it... cold, grey, impersonal....etc.
Well my husband and I just went back this past March and WOW! We both just fell for it. Great food, friendly people... beautiful city.. even the snow didn't bother me (I live in Los Angeles so it was bit of a treat).
Now, if we could just afford to move there, I would in a heart beat! Can't wait to go back!!!

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 05:31 PM
Nano

Miami! Went for a conference with my husband and thought I'd hate it. It rained for four days straight and I still loved the place; the restaurants, the colors, the clothes, or lack thereof, just everything.