What town to visit/stay in in Colorado

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give me your suggestions as to where to go and stay in Colorado. We will be traveling (probably in the summer) to Colorado with 2 small children (toddler age). We like a laid-back place--not big city or busy. We love the water and would probably like to be near mountains. We would mainly want things to do that toddlers would enjoy--visiting sites they would enjoy, but would also just like to be in the outdoors enjoying it all. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 06:45 AM

That is nearly an impossible question -- mountains and water are generally not linked. Mountain streams -- yes. But not the best for toddlers. Children's Museum in Denver would be good for the kids. You need to refine your think somewhat.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 07:00 AM

first of all, it is very hard to have both water and mountains in colorado. usually it's one or the other. and what do you want the water for, swimming? water in colorado is extremely cold even in the summer. it's not like going to the beach.

if you like laid-back i would NOT go to Vail or Aspen. they are extremely busy, like manhattan in the summer, not the place where i would go to get away from it all.

therefore you should look at some of the smaller towns in colorado. I am suggesting my favorite place in Colorado, Crested Butte. it's a small town that is ringed by gorgeous mountains, the people are friendly, there's always something going on in town, and many parks for the kids to play. you can check out skicb.com for places on the mountain and you might want to consider a hotel with a pool from the kids.

you might also consider telluride, or even combine the both if you think being in a small town for such a long time will get boring, you could do the silverton-durango railway which i would think would be fun for kids.

i'm sure someone else will chime in on suggestions for this area of colorado. but for me, i would definitely head away from the big names.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Even if water just means a swimming pool at the place we stay, we are just looking for the best place to visit in Colorado. It doesn't have to have water AND mountains. It could be a lake town or it could be a mountain town. But one that is suitable for little children and fairly quiet. I am sure others have opinions that have visited with little ones. What town was the best?
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 10:32 AM

During what time of year would you like to visit? Do you have any places/regions you would definitely like to visit? Colorado is very vast and has plenty of regional options.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 11:03 AM

How about Ouray? They have public hot springs
the size of swimming pools set in a pleasant
town park. The best feature of Ouray's hot
springs (besides being hot of course) is that
they are not smelly. Just pure hot water without
the sulphery smell. Very nice. Ouray is very
walkable...great little town.

We stayed at the Weisbaden Inn which has a hot
spring pool of its own as well as the unique
Vapor Cave. Here's link to our visit there:

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/co_and_nm_05&page=2

From Ouray you can go to Silverton via the Million
Dollar Highway. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison
is also nearby.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 02:00 PM

Glenwood Springs has hot pools also, but I'm not sure they would be good for little children.
Vail would have places with pools. Denver would also have hotels with pools.
You might do the train trip from Idaho Springs.
There are amusement parks in Denver. Denver Zoo is super for kids. The Children's Museum is OK--I think it's a bit of a ripoff--it's a place to play that you pay a pretty good sized admission price.
The children are really little for things in the mountains I think.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 08:27 PM

The Glenwood Springs pool is full of kids. They would love it. Second, there is no train in Idaho Springs. There is a loop railroad which is fun for the kids at Georgetown. Frisco is a fairly quiet area in summer, deep in the mountains and it is next to Lake Dillon.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 08:48 PM

Go to Keystone. You can take the gondola up the mountain and there is a small lake with paddle boats and ducks. Lots of places to walks and most of the condo complexes have pools. I think they even have pony rides. There is definitely a hay ride and playground. It's beautiful there.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 09:04 PM

Of course I have to plug Colorado Springs. You can drive part way up the Pikes Peak toll highway, park, and walk around the Catamount Lakes. Have a picnic, see the trout jump. Gold flakes sparkle in the water,or maybe it's fools gold, or silver or lead. Collect a vial and take it home.

Anyway, you can't find beautiful scenery and fresh mountain air like this every day. Take the kids to the North Pole, to see Santa. They have rides and animals. Last, but not least, go up to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. It's a great zoo on the mountainside with city views below as you stroll the paths to the exhibits. You can take them to see Seven Falls, and have a family picnic by Helen Hunt Falls. An afternoon drive through Garden of the Gods is fun, and walking through Old Colorado City for ice cream might tickle your kids.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 04:58 AM

There were some nice condos on Lake Dillon by Breckenridge. I can't make any recommendations since we haven't stayed there but we loved the Breckenridge/Frisco/Lake Dillon area of Colorado.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 06:43 AM

I would look into Keystone or Breckenridge. Both are family friendly spots up in the mountains near a lake (Lake Dillon). Breckenridge has an indoor aquatic center that my daughter loved. Keystone has a small lake where you can rent paddle boats and feed the ducks. They are close to each other, so you can stay in one town and drive to the other for the day. Vail is 1/2 hour away if you want to wander around there for a day.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 07:27 AM

Have a look at Snow Mt. Ranch (YMCA of the Rockies) near Winter Park. There is also another location at Estes Park. Both would be great for young children as they offer plenty of programs and things to do. Snow Mt. is near Grand Lake and there is also Lake Mary at Estes Park. I beleive the website is www.ymcarockies.com
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 08:54 AM

We vacationed in Colorado last summer and found Durango to be quite charming...the Durango-Silverton train begins and ends there, but to do that is a long day and I can't recommend it for toddlers. Ouray was on our itinerary as well..very quiet and laid-back and beautiful..."America's Switzerland."
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 09:09 AM

There is no easy answer, because Colorado has so many choices. It would be best to determine what time of year you'll be here. You say "probably in the summer", but it makes a big difference. Also, will you be flying or driving in? Because that makes a difference, too, if you want to fly to Durango, Steamboat, Aspen, etc., or drive from DIA. . .
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 09:11 AM

Another benefit of the Summit County area is you can take take a ride on the Georgetown Loop Railway. Fun for kids and adults.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 09:18 AM

May we ask as to WHY you are traveling so far with toddlers?

I would advise picking one place to go. One. Toddlers need a few days to take in where they are. Flying in, I would suggest YMCA by Estes. Its about 1 1/2 hrs from the airport, you can settle in, and see much.