Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What to wear to Chez Panisse for dinner? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-to-wear-to-chez-panisse-for-dinner-43235/)

T Colson Apr 29th, 1999 12:23 PM

What to wear to Chez Panisse for dinner?

My husband is a chef, and I'm taking him to Chez Panisse for dinner in July for our anniversary (it's a surprise, so I can't ask him). <BR> <BR>I would appreciate any recommendations you all may have on what to wear to the restaurant for dinner. <BR> <BR>It's a dream of his, so I want it to be a special night. <BR> <BR>Thanks very much. <BR> <BR>Visitor from Canada

Neal Sanders Apr 29th, 1999 12:41 PM

I've always won a coat and tie, but it's Berkeley and so anything goes. The better dressed people are usually, like you or me, on a culinary pilgrimage, and you will see many such diners. The ones dressed casually are locals who understand that imaginative cuisine can also be delicious. <BR> <BR>Great choice of restaurants. I believe Chez Panisse opens their reservations book one month in advance. <BR>

cp Apr 30th, 1999 07:00 AM

Lucky you, I've been upstairs to the Cafe a number of times, but never downstairs. Anyhow, people dress pretty nicely. Everytime I've peeked in women seemed to be wearing skirts & blouses or nice slacks with a dressy shirt& scarf or a silk sweater. <BR>Be forewarned that sometimes it is very foggy that time of year, so you might need a sweater. Oh yeah, parking can be cruddy in that area, plan a liittle extra time to find a spot, as there is no lot.

cp Apr 30th, 1999 07:06 AM

Reply take 2: <BR>Yes, we locals tend to dress somewhat casually, but most of us are headed upstairs to the cafe. <BR>Every time I've peeked in people seemed to be dressed pretty nicely. Generally women seem to be in skirts and blouses or nice slacks with a dressy shirt or silk sweater with a scarf. <BR>2 words of advice, it can be very foggy that time of year, so you may want something warm to layer with, and all the parking for Chez Panisse is street parking, so you should allow a little extra time for finding a spot. <BR>Have a great meal!

T. Colson May 1st, 1999 12:54 PM

Thank you all so much. <BR> <BR>

Donna May 1st, 1999 07:08 PM

We've been to nice restaurants in Toronto, Montreal, Boston, New York, Paris, DC... (not bragging, just observing) and the attire is pretty much the same. Most gents, though not all, wear a coat and ties, and most ladies, though not all, wear a very nice dress (black is popular everywhere) with a bit of jewelry. Whenever I want to surprise my husband, I just say something like, "Honey, I've made plans...would you please wear your gray suit with a blue shirt and that tie I love so much with it?" Works every time.

Wendy May 3rd, 1999 10:06 PM

Come on now, it's Berkeley! You can wear anything or nothing. <BR> <BR>Regarding parking, there are a couple of grocery stores within a couple of blocks - you can always run in, buy a candy bar to qualify you as a customer and leave your car in the parking lot (I've done it a million times). <BR>Have fun!

JanisMiller Feb 15th, 2015 11:32 AM

Is Chez Panisse still living up to its fabulous reputation?

janisj Feb 15th, 2015 03:49 PM

How did you even find a sixteen year old (last century) thread???

starrs Feb 15th, 2015 04:05 PM

Yes, it is.

I imagine she found if via a search.

IMDonehere Feb 15th, 2015 04:06 PM

I think they are still holding the reservation.

DebitNM Feb 15th, 2015 04:53 PM

See my post on your other thread.