What to wear Mid Oct. So. California

Sep 25th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

What to wear Mid Oct. So. California

Or anywhere else for that matter, this time of year. Here in Colorado, it's shorts one day, parkas the next. We're going to be in the Huntington /Newport Beach area next month for only 3 days, partly on business and know it will be cool. Hope to squeeze in a beach day if warm enough. Should I even bring the bathing suit?

What about dinner? Fall attire? Sun dress w/light sweater?

Usually go very south in October where no "Fall Attire" is ever necessary.

Thanks for any tips!

Cooling in Colorado
Sep 25th, 2009, 10:39 AM

We are having a raging heat wave right now. October is Santa Ana wind season, so it is likely to be very warm and dry, the smog/haze all blows away, it can be gorgeous. One of the few times of the year when the beach cities don't have fog!

Just look at the extended forecast before you pack. Earlier in the month will be warmer than later, sometimes we get our first rain just before Halloween.
Sep 25th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks gigib! Good to know, had to turn the heat on this week! Will hope for the Santa Ana's but not the fires, you've seen enough of them!

Thanks again for the good news!
Sep 25th, 2009, 01:14 PM
lvk

"One of the few times of the year when the beach cities don't have fog!"
No, instead, we look out to sea to an ugly brown layer of smog.

No to the sundresses, but a bathing suit might be okay for poolside. Even if the air is warm, the ocean will still be cool. The coastal temps are forecasted in the 90's this weekend but low 70's by next Weds. This is just an example of the swings we have been having.

Short sleeves might be okay during the day, but you will need a jacket or sweater for the evenings.
Sep 25th, 2009, 08:00 PM

I agree that you should plan on a jacket or sweater at night. Most of the days will be nice but can be much cooler down by the beach.
Sep 25th, 2009, 10:37 PM

October is Santa Ana time - so it's definitely going to be warm enough for shorts some days, but it will cool when the sun goes down. Enjoy the sunsets!
Sep 28th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Everybody for all your help, now I'm virtually packed...and your replies have us looking forward to this short visit even more!

Thanks again and Happy Travels!
Oct 5th, 2009, 08:29 AM

Yikes! We are having a cool spell! When will you be here?
Oct 6th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi Gigib,

We'll be there next weekend, the 16-18th. We've got a snow storm due this weekend, so we'll be ready for whatever you've got!

Back to the dinner, fashion dilemma; how's a pretty top w leather skirt and boots?

Keep Warm!
Oct 6th, 2009, 10:08 AM

Anywhere from 50's to 80's. No guarantee on the bathing suit. Note that there is often a cool breeze blowing in from the ocean so bring coverups if you are going to the beach.

After all, wetsuits were invented in California for a reason.
Oct 6th, 2009, 11:16 AM

I think you need to bring whatever you want and plan on shopping when you get here!
Oct 6th, 2009, 12:55 PM

Wow, weather in October in So Calif can change in a flash! It's a big month for the Santa Ana Winds to begin blowing, and that means very warm and dry. But then, we could get very mild with cool/cold evenings and mornings (such as now), and then again, a cold snap could breeze through.

I think for the weekend after this, you're more likely to have mild to warm with cool evenings. The real cool or rainy weather doesn't start until sometime in November - if we're lucky!

Enjoy!
Oct 6th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again everybody, I'm keeping my hopes up for warmth, but will happily take whatever you all have for us!

We were in Catalina a year ago at this time and it was lovely, just wore sweatshirts at night. Didn't have fancy dinner plans that required anything "dressy" that time.

Thanks again all!

Chillin' in Colorado....