What to wear in San Francisco

Old May 11th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

What to wear in San Francisco

I will be visiting San Francisco, Yosemite National Park and Wine Country in June. We will also be attending a Giant's game. Most of our trip will be scheduled tours. Our visit will be for seven days. How do we pack for Northern California in June?
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:28 AM

I'll bet every response you get will tell you the same thing: Layers!!! You can expect cool temps in San Francisco, but even there I've run into unexpected warms spells. I'm guessing Yosemite and the Wine Country will be warmer, but I'd be prepared for anything. I'd suggest having sweatshirts and jackets handy--especially for that Giants game. Worn over lightweight pants and shirt, you should be prepared. Have a great time.
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Yep - layers are your best bet when travelling in California any time of year. Temperatures wont get very cold, so you wont need anything heavier than a light jacket over a sweater. A windbreaker is your best bet for a light jacket. You might get some warm temperatures in Yosemite and the wine country, so bring some shorts or light weight pants and short sleeved shirts.
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Blacktie

I can think of one person who'd lug a sweatshirt to SF, and that's because they don't have anything other than sweats and tennies. But neither is appropriate in SF!!

Old May 11th, 2004, 10:03 AM

Blacktie, whatever do you mean? A sweatshirt might not be appropriate for dinner out, but for Yosemite or a Giant's game? Hardly requires formal wear.

jtks, the one-word answer, as others have said, is LAYERS. You will almost certainly have very warm weather in Napa, while SF evenings are cool (if not chilly) year round.

It is extremely unlikely (but not impossible) that it will rain.

When you are here, no matter what the weather, if you will be out in the evening be sure to take with you a sweater, jacket, or yes, sweatshirt, as the occasion demands.
Old May 11th, 2004, 11:19 AM

Blacktie - I am also interested in your comment that sweatshirts and tennis shoes are not appropriate in SF.

Sweatshirts and tennis shoes are entirely appropriate for daytime sightseeing, eating in casual restaurants, going to museums and so on. SF is a pretty laid back place.
Old May 11th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Blacktie

Sure, sweats are okay, if that's what one packs. But is that most people's style? Oh sure, there's always the garden variety tourist, where someone complains about whether they need o pack hubby's jacket. They know who they are. IMHO.

Old May 11th, 2004, 11:53 AM

It's certainly is most people's style for a baseball game or a hike in Yosemite! (Although personally I prefer fleece or cashmere for lightweight warmth.)
Old May 11th, 2004, 12:02 PM

I think Blacktie is just trying to be a snob.
Old May 11th, 2004, 12:20 PM

I think a sweatshirt is fine to wear to a baseball game in any city ... please!
Old May 11th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Blacktie

Oh, a snob, you say, lol, just because I have style. I forgive you!!

Old May 11th, 2004, 02:02 PM

I grovel at your feet and pay homage to the master of style.

Old May 11th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Blacktie

oh, no need to grovel, when you can bask in the glow. what is life after all if not to lift up the little people, gt;.