Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What to wear in New York - Thanksgiving Weekend (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-to-wear-in-new-york-thanksgiving-weekend-450855/)

hckypris98 Nov 10th, 2008 09:48 PM

What to wear in New York - Thanksgiving Weekend

Going to New York for first during the winter. What should i bring to wear and still be fashionable?

abranz Nov 10th, 2008 09:53 PM

you can never go wrong with black in n.y. - it can be dressed up or dressed down depending on the occasion.
add a scarf, some pearls or some bling for a night out. nice jeans and boots would be a good casual option.

nytraveler Nov 11th, 2008 02:22 AM

If you're asking about weather - check a few days out. Thanksgiving can be very warm - 50's - or cold - 30's.

Just don;t wear any sort of puffy coat or fleece if you want to be fashionable. Rain coat of cloth coat or leather is much better (depending on weather), with trendy scarf and other accessories based on weather.

And make sure your shoes or boots are comfy for long walks and you have a sturdy folding umbrella.

mrsd2fan Nov 11th, 2008 04:09 AM

Depends on where in NY you are, if you are anywhere in the North Country, you should prepare for cold and possibly snow, central NY, the same, western NY, the same...lol

NeoPatrick Nov 11th, 2008 04:21 AM

hckypris98, did you know that when you come to this site, you can click on your name and it will bring up all your previous posts? No point in starting the same question all over again. Click on your screen name here and you'll find the previous question. If you still want more responses that respond to it yourself to bring it back to the top and ask for other comments, rather than starting a new post.

doug_stallings Nov 11th, 2008 04:45 AM

Don't wear white, don't wear pastels, don't wear holiday-themed sweatshirts. Don't wear a track suit or just tights. That should be a good start.

NeoPatrick Nov 11th, 2008 04:59 AM

"don't wear holiday-themed sweatshirts"

Oh, Doug, there you go taking away everyone's fun! What will that leave for the natives to laugh at? :D

kswl Nov 11th, 2008 06:00 AM

Theme merchandise from Broadway shows ((n))

doug_stallings Nov 11th, 2008 06:25 AM

OK ... wear holiday-themed sweatshirts if it makes you happy. I wouldn't want to be accused of spoiling anyone's fun in the joyous season.

MomDDTravel Nov 11th, 2008 06:31 AM

kswl - my dd loves her hairspray sweatshirt! And her Legally Blonde Jacket :))

kswl Nov 11th, 2008 08:19 AM

Dawn, of course we make exceptions for the pre-teen crowd. :D

At Christmas we saw so many women in Legally Blonde-wear that I wondered if they had lost their suitcases on the way to NYC, lol!

MomDDTravel Nov 11th, 2008 08:21 AM

kswl - I myself did not purchase anything...with no offense to anyone could not imagine not being 11 and wearing it!

Aduchamp1 Nov 11th, 2008 08:51 AM

Dress as a float and see if you can crash the parade.

By the way, Ny'ers call it the Macy's Day Parade as if had nothing to to do with Thanksgving.

hckypris98 Nov 11th, 2008 09:20 AM

thanks Neopatrick...didn't know that you can do that...I could not find my other question...and just thought that i didn't hit post on accident.