Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What to wear in Hawaii in November? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-to-wear-in-hawaii-in-november-481262/)

KWP Oct 19th, 2004 10:11 AM

What to wear in Hawaii in November?

I"ll will be visiting Maui and Kona early November. What do you suggest wearing? We will stay in deluxe resorts and be out in the evening. Do they wear light or dark colors in the fall? Will it be cool in the evening?

GoTravel Oct 19th, 2004 10:14 AM

In year around warm weather resort destinations, people pretty much wear the same clothes year around.

kolohegirl Oct 19th, 2004 11:03 AM

Do they wear light or dark colors in the fall?

This is a joke, right? I live here (Maui) and to us it's summer all year long. Nobody cares whether you're wearing dark or light clothes. I thought the rule of "nothing white after Labor Day" was a thing from my mainland tutu's era. Wear what you look good in and what you feel comfortable in.

JohnD Oct 19th, 2004 11:12 AM

<font color="blue">KWP</font>,
This is what I'm fixing on wearing:
:S-
Aloha shirt, shorts, sandals.

here_today_gone2Maui Oct 19th, 2004 11:20 AM

But do us all a favor, unless you a member of the US Olympic swim team, don't wear a Speedo. A helpful hint for the ladies--cover up that bikini when you go into the Safeway. And, seriously, if you are wearing shorts and sandals you really don't need the socks, the cowboy hat and the fringed leather biker vest too. That look may work where you come from, but it's a bit much here.

JohnD Oct 19th, 2004 11:28 AM

Thanks <font color="blue">gone2</font> for some :[(~~):[ 10/31 ideas:?

Suzie Oct 19th, 2004 11:46 AM

John LOL!!!

vegaslover73 Oct 19th, 2004 07:24 PM

tip: leave the mink stole at home!

Suzie Oct 19th, 2004 08:56 PM

We were in Maui during the 3rd week in Nov and I don not remember putting on a sweater. Shorts, sandals, sleeveless dress (if you are a girl or feel compelled to wear one) ;)

We wore our summer clothes with no thought of wearing color specific clothing.

TripleSecDelay Oct 20th, 2004 02:07 AM

That said, it's not completely unheard of to have a few showers on occasion. Keep a jacket shell in your travel bag/rental car.

For an idea of weather, a person could surf on over to weather.com and type in the zip code or city name to look at the annual temperature / precipitation history.

Nancy03 Oct 20th, 2004 01:04 PM

The only time I needed a sweater was in an airconditioned restaurant. OR if you are exploring one of the mountain tops you'll need a light jacket.

Cornelius15 Oct 23rd, 2004 10:24 AM

Have you considered checking out
the resort wear sold out there?
I may not have the spelling correct
but one very nice line is Mamayo
Howell. Also Kaui'ana or Cinnamon Girl

Others undoubtedly will have more ideas.
also note: not all of Hilo Hatties
clothing lines are touristy like.
e komo mai

travelinandgolfin Oct 23rd, 2004 10:35 AM

I've stayed at pretty much all the resorts in Hawaii. Honestly, as long as your not naked, you're fine, even on the resort grounds. T shirt, shorts, flipflops abound. As suggested earlier though, I would at least cover up bikini bottoms. Men, at least put on a t-shirt, even if you are ripped. And yes, by all means, NO SPEEDOS!!!! YIKES!!!!

Even in most restaurants (fine dining being the exception), they don't care what you wear. No one will bat an eye.

lcuy Oct 23rd, 2004 12:50 PM

You can wear anything in Hawaii, but you will want a sweater or shawl to cover yourself in the cold restaurants.

The brands mentioned by Cornelius are Mamo Howell and Princess Ka'iulani. Mamo especially has nice clothes that are made with Hawaiian fabrics, but in contemporary designs. Think less &quot;flowing muu'muu&quot; and more &quot;figure emphasizing&quot; dresses.

lcuy Oct 24th, 2004 03:23 PM

My mistake. I was unfamiliar with kauai`ana. Give my best wishes to your sister.

Cornelius15 Oct 24th, 2004 07:14 PM

Hi there
Well I suppose this thread is about
Pau (Done) My sister says thank for
the well Wishes. And the same to y'all
from Me with big breeches LOL