What to wear in Chicago in April?

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to wear in Chicago in April?

I have finally decided what to do on my trip (thanks to this board) and now I need to know what to wear! I will be coming the week of the 21st from Miami. Its pretty warm here so I was just wondering what the appropriate attire is for chicago weather. Long sleeves/sweaters a must? Do people wear short sleeves at all? (if its warm enough) Thanks!
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 09:09 PM

About three years ago I was in Chicago in April or May. It went from 90 to low 40s with a wind chill factor that felt like below freezing. I think you'll need to check weather.com right before you pack.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 03:02 AM

And yes, if it's warm, enough, people wear short sleeves. In fact, you'll probably find many locals wearing short sleeves and thing they're crazy because it's too cold for you to do so. We have thicker blood up north.

Do check the weather just before you come, but still be prepared for cold, even if it says it will be warm (and vice versa). This time of year traveling to northern climates requires a bit of extra packing to cover the wide swings in weather! But of course you could also buy what you don't bring.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 03:43 AM

Layers layers layers! Be prepared for anything. If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes, it will change. Have a great time.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 04:58 AM

Just to give you an example: I wore shorts yesterday (it got up into the high 70's). Tomorrow I expect to be wearing long sleeves, long pants and a jacket. As has already been suggested, check the weather just before you come. And be prepared for anything from 50 to 85.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

LOL---ad I thought Miami was bad! Ok, I guess I will bring layers. Are the nights normally cold? (in the 40's?)
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:06 AM

I think yesterday everyone was wearing short sleeves. I was wearing sandals and short sleeves. It was lovely out. However, the advice you've been receiving is correct, April is a very erratic month, if I recall correctly, a couple years back the Cubs opener was canceled due to snow, and it had been in the 70's or so a week earlier.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:44 AM

Just to answer your last question...about the nighttime temps...when Chicago 'goes hot' at this time of year, as it will occ's'lly, it's not as likely to stay hot in the evening...so your nighttime temp (on a day that gets to 80, say) is likely to be 'comfortable' - but not necessarily chilly. (On the other hand, if the daytime temp is only 45 or 50...the night temp could be in the 30s.)

(And isn't it hard to pack for another climate when you're deep in the clutches of another! For our March getaways from co-o-old Wisconsin to someplace warm, it's always difficult for me to imagine/remember it could actually reach 75-80 someplace in the world!)
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:48 AM

Erratic--yes, that's a great word to describe Chicago weather, particularly in April. Driving home on Lake Shore Drive yesterday, when the high was 78, it was nice to see all the people out! Some were in shorts and sandals, some seemed to still be wearing heavy coats, I don't know why. By April 21, most people are VERY anxious to begin wearing spring/summer wear, ie, lighter colors and fabrics, open toes, etc. But you just can't count on the weather to be any certain way!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Oh---it will be hard. I am kind of a fashionista and I think I will have to bring my closet with me. Its just sooooo hard to wear winter clothes in Miami and I wanted to pull out my leather jacket and other coats I had sitting around. (I did my a denim jacket today--yay!) In addition, I have a 1 year old so I have to be very careful about what she wears!