Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What to wear in Charleston SC in November (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-to-wear-in-charleston-sc-in-november-997523/)

Bugmom1 Nov 11th, 2013 12:26 PM

What to wear in Charleston SC in November

I'm going to Charleston for the upcoming weekend. Living in the NE, we are all wearing sweaters and boots. What do I wear this time of year in Charleston? Are people still wearing sandals? It is to be in the 70s, are people still wearing capris? Are strappy sandals at night appropriate? Any suggestions would be appreciated?

RoamsAround Nov 11th, 2013 03:39 PM

It doesn't matter what the date/time of year is, wear what's comfortable and appropriate for the weather "of the day". local and tourists wear regular sandals, stripy sandals and capris all year long if the weather allows. Same goes for clothing colors and sleeve length.

Ackislander Nov 12th, 2013 03:13 AM

That's a little vague.

Mornings and evenings might be cool for strappy sandals, according to my wife. She would want a shawl for evening as well.

The main thing to note is that people are generally dressier in Southern cities than in many Northern cities, with, in my observation, more emphasis on being pretty than on being sleek for women.

RoamsAround's advice sort of applies to tourist attire anywhere, especially if you are mostly doing tourist stuff, but I believe firmly that you will have a better experience in your hotel, in shops, and especially in restaurants in Charleston if you are well-turned out.

RoamsAround Nov 12th, 2013 04:02 AM

I didn't say OP shouldn't wear nice clothes or be "well-turned out". I just said a person could wear clothes that are appropriate for "the weather of the day". If it's in the 70's you don't have to wear a long sleeve woolen sweater and boots just because it's the middle of November.

I totally agree that wearing nice clothes when dining and/or shopping in upscale stores will enhance your experience. My spouse and I alway dress up when going to better restaurants whether we are visiting Charleston, New York, Paris or just dining out at our homes in Texas and the Caribbean. In fact we tend to wear nicer clothes no matter where we are and what we are doing but we do wear clothes that are appropriate for the activity we are doing at the time and the weather that particular day.

So I again say dress based upon the weather and your planned activity not the date on the calendar.

Ackislander Nov 12th, 2013 11:00 AM

Sorry. Didn't read it that way at all, obviously. Saw it as one of the "wear whatever you want, you're on vacation" things that show up on the Europe board. No offence intended.

suewoo Nov 14th, 2013 03:15 AM

You'll need to see what the local temps will be. The wind off the water can be chilly. Your feet will thank you if you wear comfortable shoes, since you'll likely be walking a lot. It may be chilly for sandals.

lantana Nov 14th, 2013 08:05 AM

Everyone is wearing sweaters and boots here, too, b/c it's been really cold the last couple of days. But it's going to be milder this weekend and perhaps rainy. (upper 60s/low 70s)

It's November, so if you're happy and comfortable in your boots, by all means bring them.
I would wear strappy sandals in the evening if I were really dressing up.

Have fun.

carolinagirl92 Nov 14th, 2013 10:29 AM

It's been chilly the last few days, but it should warm up for the weekend. I would recommend layering. It'll be cool in the morning and evening. I would wear low heels at night. Streets and sidewalks are uneven. In high heels, you're likely to fall (personal experience). They just aren't practical in downtown Charleston. When the sun goes down it can get pretty chilly, so I don't know that I would recommend strappy shoes at night.

gigi69 Nov 14th, 2013 07:41 PM

As soon as the sun goes down around 5pm the temp drops.It will be warmer this weekend but the rain and wind will be cold.Even in midday the wind is colder.I would bring your sweater and boots just in case.

But yes we are wearing capris and sandals from around noon till dusk when we are fortunate to have warm weather.

Layers would be perfect for travelers IMO.I hope that you have a great trip with no rain.