what to wear in april in Beverly Hills

Feb 2nd, 2006, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

what to wear in april in Beverly Hills

We will be visiting BH the first week in April. We will be staying at the Beverly Hills Hotel. I need to know what to pack. Day wear just around town. Is blue jeans correct or do you dress up? Thanks
Feb 2nd, 2006, 08:20 PM

Your hotel is kinda swank to say the least, and while some people don't care and nobody would refuse you service if you dressed really casual, I sense that - because you ask - you actually do care, so: if it's jeans, make them smart, with a crease and so on. There's that upscale-casual look in tonier sections of LA, I'm sure you know what I mean, and that's probably what you're aiming for.

It can be 70-plus during the day, but it can also be rainy and chilly in April, there's no way of telling. More likely warmish and partly cloudy, but who knows?

WK
Feb 2nd, 2006, 08:45 PM

Jeans absolutely...the LA essencial...designer jeans such as 7's, Joe's, true religion etc are always appropriate... fun belt and tees and you are set. Just not the tennis shoes and jeans look...ugg! Night...same minus the tee, instead a dressier top and funky jewelry and maybe a little jacket and heels. Check out any In Style Magazine and you've got the picture. Beverly Hills Hotel is comfortable and anything goes. Remember some tourists will dress up but the locals will mostly be in jeans.

Feb 3rd, 2006, 04:47 AM
GoTravel

NO CREASES!!

Not hip and screams, "I GET MY JEANS DRYCLEANED!". LOL!

Dress up your blue jeans and you'll be fine. Jeans and sandals with a great top not jeans and sneakers.

Feb 3rd, 2006, 06:25 AM

Sigh. jeans, jeans,jeans...what if you are a boomer who wore the stupid things almost every day of your life for several decades, and you are sick to death of the heavywight, uncomfortable, clone-like uniform? And they don't look very good on many of us anymore...just venting, don't attack me!
Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:37 AM

Then wear what ever you want, Sylvia.
Feb 3rd, 2006, 07:49 AM

I'm with gotravel on the jeans! No creases, lol!
And I sympathize Sylvia, not everyone looks great in jeans after 40 !
But for me, they're still the easiest thing to wear and be stylish...
Feb 3rd, 2006, 09:15 AM

Let's get real here-- we're talking about walking around Beverly Hills, not an afternoon at the Ascot!!

Clean and comfortable is good. Good-fitting and of visibly high quality-- better. The "visible thong" thing is to be avoided at all costs-- in fact, unless you want to look like you charge by the hour, the "hootchie mama" look is reserved for evenings.
Feb 3rd, 2006, 09:45 AM
GoTravel

Does that mean I can't wear my thong wrapped around my head?

Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:02 AM

No, Paris, you can't wear your Saturday night outfit during the day...!!

, Go!!
Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:25 AM

Another vote - no creases in jeans, as my kids might say, that's "so over" - I was in LA a few months back visiting family and all over LA, upscale and residential areas all we wore - jeans, jeans and more jeans - jean skirts, pants, jackets - but as posters have said, with funky jewelry, fashionable tops, great blazers, cool shoes, etc.

Sylvia3: while I still love my jeans, and admit to wearing them at least 4 or 5 dys a week, even at 52, I agree there are days I just want something else but don't want to look like an old lady - have you tried Chico's? Their jeans are incredibly comfortable, and I save my designer jeans for night mostly - but I live in Chico jeans during the day - and I have even been complimented on them by a few 20-30 yr olds asking me where I got them....and some of their new lines are great, comfortable, no wrinkle, option of a little stretch in them, etc-jeans, cotton, everything. I always thought Chico's was for older women and wouldn't have anything stylish for some reason until my friend dragged me in there and I am now surprised how often I buy pants, etc especially for travel -

they have a 'travel outfit' - great, made for travel, no wrinkle - i recently did an 8 hr flight in it, pieces include pants, skirt, dress, top, jacket - black/ dressed it up with a cute t and some jewelry and I could breath and curl up and rolled it in a ball in my suitcase and didn't wear it again until 14 dys later !
And no, I don't work for chico's or own any stock or anything.......
Feb 3rd, 2006, 02:21 PM

Great advice, escargot, I'm going on a 13-14 hour flight in May, will check out Chico, only been in for a pretty silk scarf and jewelry. Jeans/pants seem to be culotte-length this season, guess we can roll up our long ones. Do you live in Chico, CA?
Feb 3rd, 2006, 03:18 PM
trippinkpj

Dressy Jeans and khaki capri's will probably do. Probably have dressier pants or skirt outfits also. Even if it's raining I doubt it will be that cool. But have a lightweight jacket and umbrella handy.

Feb 3rd, 2006, 03:20 PM

For the record, I've been a Chicos passport member for at least 10 years! (Their only problem is the same as other manufacturers--pants are made for those 5'10", or taller!) Love the birthday coupons, and really love being near one of the outlets.
Feb 3rd, 2006, 03:23 PM

OH, and even tho one of Chico's black "Travelers" tops turned my torso blue during a flight to Hong Kong, I still bought stock (and in the past 4 years, it has been quite profitable!)
Feb 3rd, 2006, 08:16 PM

My black traveler Chico outfit absolutely did not turn me blue, I would return that - something must have been wrong with the dye lot - and as far as pants, I am 5' 5" and never have to hem the jeans, some of the other pants I do need to take up about and inch or two, but I suppose that's better than making them too short. No, I don't live in Chico, CA - I didn't even know there was a Chico, CA!! - I am a Northeast/boston girl.
Feb 3rd, 2006, 08:52 PM
TahitiTams

Must Have's for BH:
Powder Blue Pucci Leisure Suit with the white cross stitching and White Prada Shoes.. Don't forgot the white Prada belt too.
My Handbag would be a Jamin Puech.
This post is a joke,right?

Feb 3rd, 2006, 10:23 PM

Ha, ha, ha. This is a funny thread. Seems to me you can wear anything here and get away with it..as long as you know how to sashay with your nose in the air, as long as you are not wearing off-the rack or last season... and as long as your Prada bag is not clashing with your chihuahua's Dior outfit.

But just remember: it's COLD in Cali in the Spring time..downright awful, if you ask me, bitingly chilly and raw to the bone at night. Don't let red carpet shots of celebs in slinky outfits fool anybody into thinking it's warm here. Uh-uh. Seems to me it's only when the last stubborn edge of the marine layer is burnt off in July or August or so that the spring and summer gloom finally ends its grip and we get some decent heat going here! The good part is that it can stay really nice until Halloween, sometimes. Definitely bring something warm for the evenings in April. Or rebook for the Caribbean? Sorry, not to be a brat, but why would anybody want to come here for a vacation? (Unless it's for a face lift procedure..some great doctors here, for sure.)
Feb 4th, 2006, 12:34 AM

I have been to Beverly Hills many times and I dress just like I do at home(Phoenix), jeans, polo, snickers, etc. I stayed at the BHH once for 4 days in June and wore shorts most of the time. If you are eating dinner in the hotel a tie and jacket(for men)is called for but other than that it's casual.
Feb 4th, 2006, 01:13 AM

Where do you wear the snickers?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO