1 canoe/camping gear/hiking boots
Multiple Contra Dance outfits
Cushions for Fringe Festivals
Watercolor/Drawing/Photo goodies
AAA Emergency cards

Plan: to be on the road 1-2 months.

What websites helped you most for finding:
-tent only camping sites
(parked near a motor running RV all night is not fun)

-DIY simple custom van upgrades?
(gear shelves? curtins? screens for mosquitos?)

-how to find internet connections on the road

For those that have already done these types of extended trips, what else did you bring or wish you'd brought to make the trip easier? safer? more comfy? more fun?
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The message board at rvingwomen.com used to be very good and can be a source of customization ideas and campgrounds.

I'd order the AAA campground books for the states you will be visiting and picking up a KOA guide. They often have a "tent only" section.

State parks and National Forest campgrounds are great but with fewer toilet/shower options.

Internet - above sources, KOA campgrounds and wifi in Barnes and Noble, Panera Bread locations, etc.

Books on tape/cd - You can join the "club" at Cracker Barrel. Basically, you buy the first book on tape cd and then trade it in for a new one at another CB down the road for a small fee.

I'd get Sirius or XM satellite radio system for LOTS of commercial free listening option.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:11 AM

Much better than the AAA or KOA selections would be one of the comprehensive campground guides used by RVers, such as Woodalls. Their home page (woodalls.com) actually has separate search tabs for RVers and tenters. Most campgrounds have web sites with their campground maps on them; this will help you choose places where tenters aren't mixed in with RVs. Unlike hotels, which only promise to take "requests" for rooms, most campgrounds will reserve a specific spot for you, though things do happen and this isn't 100% reliable.

Many campgrounds have sections reserved for tentss that are actually nicer than the RV areas; along their river, for instance. But if the sound of an RV's generator bothers you, do watch out for the many campgrounds that are built along railroad tracks.

Inernet connections are available via cell phone (good for checking your e-mail) and Wifi at campsites and other places (Starbucks, libraries); there are entire discussion boards over on Yahoo devoted to these things,as well as on hte RV discussion boards that are hosted by Woodall's and other camping businesses (see rv.net).

The best way to avoid RVs running their "motor" (generator?) all night is to stay at places wtih electric hookups at every site.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions! Many thanks for posting.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 10:20 PM

There is a Tent Camping section on RV.net

http://www.rv.net/forum/

Private campgrounds do not allow generators to run. If you want internet connections then you're going to want a private campground. All private campgrounds will have showers.

Where will you be traveling and what time of the year?

FYI, we have a motorhome and try very hard not to run the generator in the campground. Most campgrounds have generator hours, but not everyone obeys these rules. There are more and more people who bring along portable generators and they don't have a motorhome. Some have travel trailers and some tent campers have brought them too.

Utahtea
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 07:24 PM

We just got home from a five-week road trip. Here are some miscellaneous items I found useful:
1. A small bag (cosmetic bag will do) with pen, small notebook, calculator, Post-It notes, highlighter. Keep in glove compartment; handy for marking maps, etc. Keep an envelope for receipts in the glove compartment also.
2. Buy several Hefty Handy Saks (car-sized trash bags that are ten bags for $1 at Wal-Mart), a package of hand wipes, and a package of Windex wipes. Prepare a small first-aid kit with lots of band-aids or Nu-Skin.
3. I have a small inexpensive backpack ($12 at a Totes store) with binoculars, cameras, bug wipes, sunglasses, compass, etc. It's easy to throw on my back for a short hike.
4. A two-yard length of a black fabric with a matte finish that you can throw over items in the backseat when you are parked. Felt or flannel will do.
5. A small pillow.
6. Get both the state and the regional AAA maps, as well as the guidebooks. We used the restaurant and hotel guides almost every day.

As for Internet connections, you can use public libraries for free. Most espresso shops have wireless, but ask for their fees. We found the small ones (not chains) often had free wireless. Most of the motels now offer net high speed or wireless, but not all of their systems were secure so I always checked first. Often the desk people don't even understand wireless security, but I do online banking so I'm really careful about that sort of thing.

Have a great trip!
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 08:01 PM

Here's a website that enables you to locate WI-FI hotspots in many locations. I found it very useful when we traveled to Maine last summer:

http://www.jiwire.com/
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 06:09 AM

I suggest taking a sense of humor. 1-2 months on the road will require it (and I am serious). If you are recently retired and have not spent every moment together in a car/van/RV for the last umpteen years you will need it. My parents did alot of RV-ing (NOT my thing) and my mother would often go off to a local mall to get away for a little while by herself when they got to a RV site. A little "separate time" is good on a trip this long.

I'd also suggest alternating your tent camping days with an occasional motel day. Creature comforts are a good thing.

Old Nov 13th, 2005, 09:08 AM

www.recreation.gov

When you do your stopping at a motel ask for a very large room with two beds. That is what my wife does when we are on extended trips. Every inch counts when you are locked up in that close of an area for a long time.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 09:48 AM

I should definately bring day packs like teens wear to school. I went on a trip similar to yours and found myself the only one without one on those all-afternoon hiking/walking tours. I got one after my first hike. You maybe need just one for the two of you.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

More great suggestions! Thanks for all the help.