Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What to see in Fairbanks and Seward (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-to-see-in-fairbanks-and-seward-306812/)

chris37 Apr 13th, 2003 08:42 PM

What to see in Fairbanks and Seward

I'll be in Fairbanks in mid May...just overnight. Is there anything worth seeing? Also, could someone who has ridden the Anchorage to Seward train tell me if there is enough to do in Seward betweeen trains or do I need to book a tour? Thank you.

banares Apr 15th, 2003 06:56 AM

<BR>In Fairbanks, I like the University of Alaska museum and their special tours/programs. When I visited last year, there were 2 shows - the northern Inua and dynamic aurora. The university publishes a schedule of tours/shows which you can get at the tourist information center in Fairbanks.<BR><BR>Fairbanks also has a small ice museum of ice sculpture, but I did not go to it. <BR><BR>If you have a means of getting around, there are places around the city off Steese Highway and Chena Hot Spring road that you may find worth exploring. The visitor center has lots of information and very helpful staff.

dwooddon Apr 15th, 2003 12:48 PM

There is no train that travels from Fairbanks to Seward. You go from Fairbanks to Anchorage on one day, then from Anchorage to Seward on another train and another day. It is possible to ride down in the morning, take one of the short boat tours, and ride back in the evening (I'm assuming summer schedule here). You'd be better served to ride down on one day, take an early fjord tour the next morning, and catch the train back in the evening. You'll see a lot more on your fjord tour (not to be missed) and you'll also have time to walk around Seward and explore a bit.

TheDish Apr 15th, 2003 01:28 PM

Banares mentioned the ice sculpture museum in Fairbanks. We've been there and found that particular museum to be pretty ho-hum (boring, that is...). In fact, in all my trips to Fairbanks to visit family, there haven't been very many tourist attractions that I've enjoyed. The exception was the narrarated river boat ride down the Chena River. We also enjoyed swimming at the hot springs (not sure if it was Chena Hot Springs or something else....) The town of Fairbanks itself is pretty depressing overall...

bigtyke Apr 17th, 2003 08:28 AM

The University museum and the special programs are great. I also enjoyed the El Dorado gold mine tour and the Discovery Riverboat ride. If I had to pick one of the 3, it would be the museum and show.

BudgetQueen Apr 22nd, 2003 06:07 AM

I have done the train. Myself, I think Fairbanks has a lot to offer. Certainally the Alaska U museum is excellent. They also have a garden, musk ox - viewable from the road. Taking a drive up the Steese has many views and can be extended up to Circle. Going down the Richardson gets you to North Pole. Ester has dog sledding kennels and gold mine. Pipe line view on the Steese. Downtown small museum. Plenty to do in Anchorage, Talkeetna and Seward.