Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What to see in Boston w/16 yr old son (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-to-see-in-boston-w-16-yr-old-son-249536/)

Sally Gilmore Aug 14th, 2002 10:56 AM

What to see in Boston w/16 yr old son

I am bringing my 16 year old son to Boston from California the end of October for 3 days. He will be studying US History so wants to see some historical sites. What is best too see, what should we skip, and what else do you think he would think was cool. Years ago, I saw Shear Madness and thought it was hysterical. Anyone seen it lately, and would he think it was funny? I can't remember much about it. By the way, we are staying at the Westin Copley Place. Is the T nearby?

Dick Aug 14th, 2002 11:02 AM

You will get many tips on the historical sites (including the Freedom Trail).<BR><BR>Another place for a 16 year old is the Museum of Science. Since I was a kid, that has been my favorite museum in Boston. You can even get there by street car. <BR>http://www.mos.org/<BR><BR>It is still a fabulous place

Marj Aug 14th, 2002 11:08 AM

The Freedom Trail tour is great. It's given by the Parks department and is free.

leahj Aug 14th, 2002 11:26 AM

He would probably enjoy Blue Man Group at the Charles Playhouse if he has never seen it before. <BR><BR>Westin Copley Place is perfect place to stay! T is just on other side of Boston Public Library from Westin.

me Aug 14th, 2002 11:43 AM

Museum of Fine Arts

doc Aug 14th, 2002 11:51 AM

Constitution, aqaurium. Maybe a tour of Fenway if they are still open. shear madness is always great, and different. Go to the Omni theatre, I wuold blow off museum of fine arts, he may get bored?

Ann Aug 15th, 2002 07:47 AM

He's just the right age to begin the college tour thing. YOu could go to Harvard Square, which he'd enjoy anyway, and take a campus tour. Great museums there as well. You could also cover a few other campuses along the way if he's at all inclined. BU, BC, Northeastern, Emerson...<BR>If you can get a car or a tour, he might enjoy visiting Lexington and Concord. Also, Plimouth Plantation is a nice visit for a history buff if you can arrange a car or tour. <BR>Stop into the Boston Public Library. You're staying next door to it, and the art and special collections are worth a look. It's recently been rehabed and is very impressive (they don't make them like that on the Left Coast).

Donna F Aug 16th, 2002 04:12 AM

We recently took a teen group to see Shear Madness and they enjoyed it but they liked Blue Man Group better which we saw a couple of years ago. Walk around Cambridge. Anyone know if the Boston Diorama is still open at the top of the Pru (?). I think the graphic display of how the Boston shoreline changed over the years was fascinating. If he hasn't been to Boston before, all the old buildings will be impressive. Remember that the Common used to be a cow pasture. The USS Constitution is still a commissioned ship and the sailors are 'real'. You'll have a great time.

Ann Aug 16th, 2002 06:01 AM

Donna, I think the diorama you're refering to was at the top of the Hancock Building, and that has been closed since 9/11. It was one of the best parts about that visit (aside from the view) but unless they've moved the exhibit down to the lobby or something like that, it's now off limits. Too bad.

Frank Aug 16th, 2002 06:13 AM

Take him to the USS Constitution, lunch at the Warren Tavern and then walk up to the Bunker Hill Monument. Now that's history.

Sandy Aug 16th, 2002 07:00 AM

Try this link for info on tours in Boston. http://www.bostonusa.com/visitor/visitor.php

sgilmore Aug 16th, 2002 02:51 PM

Thanks everyone, for the great suggestions. I am sure we will have a great time. One more question..Is it feasible to go to Cape Cod for the day, or is it too far?

kam Aug 16th, 2002 03:25 PM

Have done this once-----do visit some of the college campuses---Harvard, Tufts, BC, BU, Amherst, Brown etc. We also went to Concord and Lexington and just enjoyed being together for probably the "last time" and eating lots of lobsters. Have fun.

Beth2 Aug 16th, 2002 04:33 PM

Hyannis is one hour from Boston, if you avoid rush hour. Falmouth and Woods Hole would also be a good choice. What are you interested in doing there? Plymouth Plantation would be on the way. <BR>The northshore is very lovely, too, and only 20-40 minutes from Boston, depending on how far out on Cape Ann you go. Gloucester has the fisherman memorial statue and the Hammond Castle Museum. Salem has the Nathanial Hawthorne House of Seven Gables, Witch Museum (tells the story with illuminated statues) and Peabody Essex Museum (which focuses on maritime history).<BR>Both Blue Man Group and Shear Madness are excellent choices, but I think teens prefer BMG. The Omni Theatre is in the Science Museum. Freedom Trail is a must, along with Fanueil Hall and the Constitution. <BR>Have a blast!<BR>

linda Aug 16th, 2002 08:42 PM

Try the Duck Tours, they give lots of history in a short time. I'd visit the historic North Shore over the Cape; Salem is fun near Halloween, the Witch Museum and House of Seven Gables. Also visit the Constitution at the old Charlestown Shipyard, Bunker Hill. And Harvard Square & BMG.

mike Aug 17th, 2002 10:57 AM

Gray Line tours offer a nice side trip to the Cape for fall.

Tedt Aug 17th, 2002 11:11 AM

Without a doubt the Duck Tour. It's great - your son will love the amphibious WWII craft, called a "Duck." The tour takes place both on land and in the Charles River. Unique and tons of fun. There is a website where you can make reservations. Do a google search for "Boston duck tour." <BR><BR>Enjoy!<BR>

sgilmore Aug 17th, 2002 09:08 PM

WOW, everyone has such GREAT sugggestions. My son thought Salem sounded cool around Halloween What is the easiest way to get there, since we are not renting a car. Is there a train? He wants to be an architect, so he would probably enjoy the the House of Seven Gables. He definately wants to see some of the colleges, especially Harvard. I am afraid that he will fall in love with the east coast and our UC's will not look so good.<BR>Thanks again for the great info!

gail Aug 18th, 2002 03:43 AM

My 16 year old thinks Salem is boring, but around Halloween might be a different story. Still, if you will only be here for 3 days I might just stick to Boston. There should be enough architecture in Boston to cover that angle. Plenty of history too. I would vote for Blue Man Group over Shear Madness - again my 16 year old greatly enjoyed BMG.<BR><BR>T is very convenient to Westin. When we were in California 2 years ago our son got attached to aspects of west coast, and we prefer he college on east coast - maybe we can trade kids!

Jess Aug 23rd, 2002 12:19 PM

Just a warning: Salem is pretty cheesy. Which is not to say it's not enjoyable, but it's mainly ugly wax museums that cost too much. Concord and Lexington are nicer, but of the two, Concord has many more historical sights and is a more attractive town. There a ton of cute places to eat or stay a night in. The Cape, of course, is always gorgeous, but in late October the cold winds and sparse landscape may be more of an aquired taste.<BR><BR>Let him wander around Harvard Sq by himself for an hour or two. No offense, but it's charm is often lost on a teenager when exploring it with a parent. Besides, there are probably places you'd like to go that he wouldn't. I personally would avoid the duck tour, but that's your choice. If you decide to go, bring a warm jacket - the harbor gets cold. Eh, just in general you should pack a lot of warm layers. I saw both Blue Man Group and Sheer Madness here within the last year, and unless they've totally changed the casts, go for Blue Man Group.<BR><BR>Also, you should have dinner at Marche, which is in the Prudential shopping center. There's food from all over the world and you can go to stations and pick what you want. The atmosphere is great. And it's fairly inexpensive: maybe $15 or $20 per person? Bertucci's is another great place. Very good american/italian food and cheapish. And they have restaurants everywhere. <BR><BR>Hope you enjoy your visit!<BR><BR>Jess