Reload this Page >

What to see and do in Capitol Reef N.P?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Rick

We will have a day to explore Capitol Reef National Park in early May,but we'd like some advice on what to see and which hikes to choose etc.
We'd also appreciate some help regarding nice and convenient accomodation and restaurants close to the park.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Clousie

We really enjoyed going through Grand Wash as the 600'canyon walls came closer and closer to a distance of 20' apart.
Hickman Bridge about 2 miles was another nice walk.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 04:58 PM
RB

Capitol Reef offers so much! Check out the Fruita campground- many deer around the orchards. As noted above, Grand Wash & Hickman Bridge are good; also the Rim Overlook Trail (4.6 mi., moderate hike) has a good vista view. We enjoyed our stay at the Best Western Capitol Reef in Torrey- it's practically the first motel you see after leaving the park. It has a great outdoor hot tub that is medicinal after a days' hike. Eat at the Cafe Diablo in Torrey- great Southwest American food, nice presentation. A good overview of Capitol Reef hikes can be found in the book "Utah's National Parks" by Ron Adkison (Wilderness Press.) Hope this helps.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Sandy

We stayed at the Best Western also. Be sure to catch a picture of dawn on the range of hills behind the hotel - should be just out your sliding glass door. That is the best picture I took on a two week trip. The reds were truer and brighter than any of the others.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Bob Brown

I got a real charge out of learning as much of the geology of the place as I could soak up in a short period of time.
There are so many formations revealed there, and cracked open so to speak by the fold in the rocks, that you can get an eyefull in a few minutes. The Moenkopi and Chinle formations as well as the cliff building Wingate and Navajo sandstones are there. But there are some others as well.
As for hikes, take the road by the Visitor Center to the end and walk out from there. Grand Wash with the Cassidy Arch extension is a great expedition, but carry water with you.
Grand Wash is an short but awesome hike as pointed out up above in an earlier post.
Head south to the trailhead for Muley Twist Canyon and walk up that cleft in the rocks as far as you have the stamina to go.
There is so much to see and do that once you get some suggestions at the visitor center, you can occupy two to four days of desert wandering in a relatively unspoiled environment.
And, if you have time, drive south on Utah highway 12 to the state park that deals with the Original Americans. It is small but well done. The drive is scenic and beautiful. I think you will like it; I know I discovered Capitol Reef for myself 3 years ago and now I wonder what took me so long.