Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What to See and do in and around S. Orange NJ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 1997, 03:49 PM
Robert Kirchhof

We'll be spending some time in the S.Orange NJ area. Anything to see or do and info on hotels and resturants will be appreciated. Many thanks!!

Old Jul 30th, 1997, 06:07 PM
Doug

My condolences! If you must be there and are adventurous, head to NYC. If you want to stay in NJ, the best I can do for restaurant suggestions is in New Brunswick, NJ. The downtown area has been revitalized and there are a number of good restaurants, some with live music.

Old Aug 4th, 1997, 07:03 PM
robert

One of the better hotels in the area is the Hilton at Short Hills. There are NO hoels in S. Orange. The only restaurant of note is Cafe Arugula on S. Orange Ave. in the heart of the Village. It is BYOB. I would recommend visiting the Edison historical site, run by the US Dept of Parks, in West Orange. After that,run to New York City. A day trip to one of the Jersey beaches or Atlantic City would be fun. Better restaurants abound in Madison and Morristown. However, nothing compares to New York City.

Old Aug 10th, 1997, 11:19 AM
Betty MacInnes

Try the Manor in West Orange for dinner. I believe
it is in West Orange but not far. Lovely ambience,
great service and excellent food. A little pricey
and dressy. There's a buffet several nights a week at $40 which is outstanding, but be HUNGRY.
Lots of lobster. Phone them for info and maybe
reservations. To shop go to the Short Hills Mall.
Classy.

Old Sep 1st, 1997, 11:01 AM
Richard

If you're interested in rocks/minerals, drive to Franklin, N.J. and the Franklin Mineral Musuem with a great collection of naturally fluorescent rocks. Near S.Orange is Montclair with lots of good restaurants; it's the new haven for former New Yorkers with kids.