Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What to pack for kids/adults hiking in the National Parks?

Old Jun 18th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping to start a packing list for our Grand Circle Road Trip.

What do you recommend for kids (ages 9 & 10) and adults?

Hiking Boots, Sun Hats, Some kind of water packs?

Any other must haves? Sun screen and athletic clothing...

Thanks for any thoughts!
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 10:40 AM

yes to all of those

A camelback is what we use out here for water needs. Dehydration is a major concern here and it was way easier to carry the proper amount of water using a camelback. You would need to carry too many bottles otherwise.

We like walking sticks. Other necessities: a small first aid kit, sunglasses, Chapstick, trailmix, insect repellent, After bite.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 11:29 AM

If you're going in the heat of the summer, I love having my Misty-Mate with me! http://www.mistymate.com/16-oz-pump.html

A backpack for one of the adults to carry food items and misc stuff.

When we were on a float tour, the guide gave us each one of these http://www.chux.com.au/the-chux-rang...erwipes-range/ and we would get them wet and keep them around our necks and they worked wonders for keeping us cool in the hot Arizona sun!

If you buy anyone new shoes, make sure the break them in before coming! You really don't need specialized hiking boots for the kind of hiking you are planning. Good walking shoes will be fine.

Utahtea
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 02:30 PM

Do bring cameras!
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 04:36 PM

Spend $1 apiece for everyone to have a whistle around her/his neck. If an emergency strikes, it allows you to communicate your location no matter how (1) dark it is, (2) poor the visibility is, (3) badly you're injured, (4) far you are from cell phone reception, or (5) long you've been blowing into it (your voice would give out after a few hours). Three blasts of a whistle are a universal distress signal, can be heard for kilometers, and can be done even by someone who's severely injured.

I can't emphasize enough: do *NOT* count on using your cell phone to call for emergencies in national parks.

I've carried a whistle through 25 years of hiking and have never used it. But if it gets me out of a jam even once, it'll be worth the buck I spent to buy it.

Another thing I do before I start a hike is ask two questions about the possibility of being injured and incapacitated:
1) how long will it be before I can be rescued?
2) how long will I survive in the conditions I will be in?
It time period "2" is shorter than "1", then I realize I must change SOMETHING.

Also, do an Internet search for
hiking 10 essentials
for a good starting point.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 05:10 PM

unless you are subject to turning ankles, I prefer hiking shoes over boots. I like the really good socks and underwear that wick moisture. I like Merrel hiking shoes(low top breathable). The breathable kind do get sand in them easier though.

If I take water, I take bottles. If it is gatorade then I take the camelback. I just can't stand the way water tastes from a camelback. I do pack a first aid kit and have used bandaids and advil from it several times. Moleskin is good to have.

I am a firm believer in the moisture wicking shirts as well. Cotton t-shirts are much much hotter.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 06:24 PM

yes to all of the above. I live in UT and believe me, you cannot underestimate the dryness of our climate or the intensity of the sun. People don't realize they are dehydrating because sweat evaporates so quickly off the body.

If you do decide on water bottles - freeze one of them for each person - overnight. It feels good on your back if you are carrying a daypack and when it melts you have a nice cold drink! Take double the amount of water you think you need - and drink it all!

I much prefer the camelbaks. When you have the little sipper right near your mouth, it's easier to drink and drink often! The taste doesn't bother me at all.

Wide brim hats, tons of suncreen, moisturizing lip products with vitamin E and sunscreen in them are best. Wet wipes and hand lotion!

Eat too, to replace electrolytes. Fruit and trail mix (replaces salt) are good. I also like carrot sticks. No reason not to pack a sandwich if you are going to eat it soon.

A whistle is a good idea, but you are probably going to be on mostly well traveled, popular trails. A small mirror to signal with in case you need to be rescued is essential also if going to more remote areas.

Yes, cell phone coverage in the Natl Park and canyons is pretty much non-existant. Coverage in much of southern Utah is limited.

Always check with the ranger/visitor's centers before you hike anywhere. Know not only the distance, but the elevation gain and loss, and trail conditions. Very important.
Have fun!
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone! These are all great tips! I will put them all on the list.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 06:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
One of the adults should carry a SPOT locator. Don't let the kids run ahead of you. When I get too warm, I put a few ounces of cool water inside my hat. Carry gloves for everyone in case you have to scramble over hot rocks.
http://www.findmespot.com/en/
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 07:39 AM

Don't forget your trail maps.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 08:21 PM

The number one, key ingredient when hiking with kids--M&Ms!!!

Each of my kids wears their own Camelbak--you actually drink more if you use a Camelbak vs. a water bottle. Please bring lots and lots of water. As an adult, I expect to drink a gallon a DAY when I am hiking in the desert. Kids need to drink lots too. People die every year in Moab because they didn't drink enough water.

Then, of course, you have to make sure you get enough salt too. Potato chips are actually great. (and I NEVER eat the dang thing otherwise) I make trail mix with salted nuts and M&Ms (and raisins but for the kids, I can leave those out).

There is a great book that is sold in the area--Naturalist's Guide to the Colorado Plateau. It has very good descriptions of what you will see--animals, critters, plants, etc. Also, you can't beat Scats and Tracks or Who Made That Hole. YOu can get all of these books through the Arches visitor center (or any of the other visitor centers or even online).

Be sure to do the Junior Ranger Program at each park you visit. And--ask about activity backpacks. At Capitol Reef, you could check out these cool backpacks with enough stuff to keep kids busy for a couple of days, easy.

BAby wipes--for anything and everything. I think everybody hit everything else!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 08:23 PM

And one more book--Utah Roadside Geology. This might be more for the adults, but we take this book with us whenever we travel south--it is really fascinating!
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 04:09 AM

You've got some great advice here. I also pack a long sleeve, light colored shirt for each of us. It works as a light jacket/extra layer when it's cool in the evening and is good when we really want to limit the sun on our skin.

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 09:33 AM

The kids can undergo the junior ranger program at National Parks. ie, http://www.nps.gov/arch/forkids/beajuniorranger.htm At the visitor center you can get an explorer pack with filed guides, hand lenses, you have to be prepared to provide some leadership and interest in discovery too or you will merely lug the pack around. Be prepared to provide a credit card for the deposit until you return it in tact. Packs are free to use, charges are only if there are missing items or broken things.

Be careful of baby wipes, the fragrance can attract insects.
M&Ms have a habit of melting, jolly ranchers keep your silva in peak performance.