Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   what to pack for honeymoon to Hawaii (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-to-pack-for-honeymoon-to-hawaii-262869/)

Ashleigh Oct 2nd, 2002 06:10 PM

what to pack for honeymoon to Hawaii

We're going to Kauai and Maui for our honeymoon, with a 2 day stopover in San Francisco. <BR><BR>I've heard Hawaii is very casual - even at their nicest restaurants. Just how casual is it? What should I bring for evenings out on the town?<BR><BR>Also, any suggestions on how formal people dress for San Francisco?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Brenda Oct 2nd, 2002 07:13 PM

You have heard right, Hawaii is very casual even in the best of restaurants. However, if you will be dining in a high end restaurant, you may want to bring along a nice summer dress or skirt. Men can generally get by with a casual slacks and a sport shirt. I really don't think you would need anything formal, unless you choose. I would mainly pack beach and casual summer clothing, good walking shoes, a pair of sandals and swimsuit. You can get all of your beach needs, i.e. sun tan lotion, beach towel, beach mat at the local K-Marts or Wal-marts, on both islands. Save room in your bag for other things. Depending upon where you stay, there may be beach mats and such available for free or for a nominal fee. Have a wonderful honeymoom. You will love Hawaii.

loni Oct 2nd, 2002 07:32 PM

There is nothing like the Hawaii. Very casual, that's why we love it so. Nothing formal, leave it all home. A pair or 2 of dressy pants and a few nice blouses will be fine. The dressing San Fran is a bit more upscale. Remember the temperature difference.<BR><BR>Reminder: never put USA on your outgoing postcards. Hawaii is part of the USA and they are very proud of it.<BR><BR>Buy all your macadamia products at the local Wal-Mart. Best prices.<BR><BR>

Dakotah Oct 2nd, 2002 07:34 PM

Brenda is right - even at the nicest restaurants the dress is casual. Polo or dress shirt/slacks for men, and summer dresses/skirts/sandals for ladies really are OK. (The only people I've seen wear suits were Asian tourists/businesspeople, and only a few!) Bring a light sweater - evenings can get a bit cool if there's a breeze. I agree to pack light - use laundry facilities if needed - and save room to bring back those t-shirts & treasures! Just a hint: Either pack a flat bag in your suitcase, or buy a cheap one in Hawaii, so you don't have to overstuff your bags on the way home. We've also done this on trips to separate our purchases/clean clothes from laundry on the return trip home.

Maggi Oct 3rd, 2002 03:39 AM

We just returned and next time I will pack differently. If wear a quick-drying bathing suit under a t-shirt and lightweight shorts and some Teva sandals you will be good to go most days. You never know when you will want to pop in the water at some unexpected place. I made the mistake of packing bathing suits that were more for looks than function with matching pareos and thongs. If you are staying at a fancy resort you might want one set like this, but most of the time you will be on the road exploring, walking, clamboring over rocks to get to secluded pools. You will want to be comfortable. I nested a smaller suitcase inside a larger empty one for purchases. Also, my husband and I both had a lightweight backpack that we used as a carryon and used every day in our exploration. I also packed a flat functional beach bag that I kept in the car with our snorkels, towels, suntan lotion. I bought beach mats there for $1.99 and kept them in the bag as well. We also bought a collapsible vinyl cooler at Safeway to keep in the car for drinks and snacks. It folds flat so we were able to bring it home with us.

helen Oct 3rd, 2002 09:07 AM

You can buy Tommy Bahama dresses and shirts at many upscale department stores on the mainland, and you will feel perfectly dressed-up almost anywhere in Hawaii with that attire like that.

J Correa Oct 3rd, 2002 09:20 AM

SF is also pretty casual compared with the rest of the country, not as casual as Hawaii though. It's also not as warm. <BR><BR>For the day time, jeans or cotton slacks, tennis shoes or comfortable walking shoes, short sleeved shirt, sweater or sweatshirt, and a windbreaker or other light jacket are pretty standard. The layered look is "in" year round because of the microclimates in the city. <BR><BR>At night, unless you are going to a casual restaurant or pub, you may want to dress up a little more - slacks and button up shirt for men, slacks or skirt and a blouse for women. If you are going to a really fancy place, then dress up more. <BR><BR>Have fun!