Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What to pack and wear for Chicago in Feb?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we will be traveling to Chicago in late Feb.
coming from a warm climate, we were wondering what to pack? boots coats????
I know we will do some walking but would like to be prepare. (of course, we can also go shopping there
thanks a bunch!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 12:56 PM

Definitely pack a coat, scarf and gloves. Boots may or may not be necessary, depending on the weather. If you are going to be downtown, the wind from the lake can make things very chilly so bundle up with layers. The temperature may not be too bad, but its better to be safe than sorry. I live in St. Louis, which is about 5 hours south. Chicago is usually a little colder than it is here. While it was in the 50's this past weekend, its about 35 degrees today.

Have a great trip!
Tracy
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 01:01 PM
emd

On the other hand, I was in Chicago two years ago in late Feb. and it was so cold that even w/layers (and long underwear) and boots and coats and hats and gloves, we still felt like we had no clothes on while walking a few blocks downtown! But it was part of the fun, yukking it up constantly over how darned cold it was and thawing out everytime we got inside. The wind chill was wicked. I would watch the weather reports just before you go, but add in the wind factor too. You can always take layers off or not take them out of the suitcase, but you can't put them on if you don't have them.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Bring whatever cold weather garments that you have. You can get by without big boots but hiking boots would be a plus.

Baring something highly unusual, especially for CA folks, Feb will be cold, make no mistake. What in the world is motivating this trip to our fair city at this time of year? February is the time for us locals to go someplace warm and get a boost going into spring (which is still many weeks away)!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Do not count on being able to shop for winter clothes at the end of February--like everywhere else, our stores will be full of spring and summer clothes, and you would probably be hard-pressed to find a warm coat or boots. Have the full array of cold weather beaters if you have it: hats, gloves, scarves, warmer footwear, coats, etc. Then, if you get lucky, maybe you'll get some nice days in the 50s like we have had recently.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 02:30 PM
GoTravel

For outdoor walking around in Chicago in Winter.

Musts:

Warm full length wool or down coat.
Scarf
Gloves
Hat
Boots with rubber soles (they insulate the bottoms of your feet from cold and wet)
Wool socks

And remember, layer.

Coming from a warm climate, if you can't find it in stores, order it online.

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Original Poster

OH you guys are good!!!!
I'm freezing just listenin".
K, will bring boots, gloves and scarfs.
Is walking around unreasonable?
I"m still wearing tank tops and skirts here. well, not this week since we got some drizzles.
PLACEU2: Tried to talk the girl into going south, but I lost. So hey! Heard it's a great city! I'll thaw out when I get back to San Diego !
thanks again guy!
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 04:23 AM

It depends on what you are planning on doing. A warm coat, a scarf, hat, and gloves will work perfectly fine if you just intend to walk around downtown, do some touristy stuff and perhaps some shopping, eating out, or going to theater. I don't think snow boots are necessary at all (I've only needed them a few days this winter and I live here).

Besides, if you get chilly you can always pop into a store, museum, or coffee shop to warm up (what a perfect reason to stop by the Russian Tea Room for afternoon tea). Now, if you are planning on spending your entire day outside, in February, then that is another issue entirely.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:38 AM
GoTravel

You don't need snow boots. My have an older pair of 'fashion' boots with rubber soles. They have leather uppers.

I don't think you need duck boots.

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 05:52 AM

Check weather.com or one of the local papers at the last minute b/c the weather has been crazy here lately-last weekend in the 50s, this weekend in the 40s and it's been 20s and 30s in between. If you are in the city, you shouldn't need huge boots unless we get a huge snowstorm. Leather boots should be fine. Definately a warm coat, preferably long, to keep your legs warm too. The local papers can be found at Chicagotribune.com or suntimes.com. Have a great trip!
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 06:18 AM

I think Chicago's winters are a bit overplayed by the media. Sure there are a few cold days here and there that can be brutal, and the locals (including myself) love to kvetch about and exaggerate them. But the actual truth of the matter is that it really isn't all that bad, and many other parts of the country get quite a bit more snow than we do. A bit of warm clothing and you'll be just fine.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 06:50 AM

Vittrad: LOL why let out our secret?

While I have lived in the MW all my life, we often get visits in the winter from my BIL who moved to CA from WI 20+ years ago. I am here to tell you those folks think it is COLD here...even on days when we think it is comfortable. 25-30 degrees in mid winter puts em in a panic looking for extra blankets....inside! 45 outside has them shivering in full winter attire. Meanwhile, I go to Palm Desert in February and wear shorts when it's low 70's and they think I'm nuts.

Now to a couple of San Diego girls, I assure you it will be frosty.
joannelynn: don't worry about the heavy duty boots but decent socks are a plus during the day. It is not ALL about the look here in the windy city!
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Last weekend when it was 50 degrees out, I was walking around in a t-shirt. On the other hand, if it was 50 deg. in June, I'd be wearing a jacket. It's all a matter of perspective.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 03:31 PM

Unless it snows while you're there, you won't need snowboots. But I do recommend leather boots, which will help keep your ankles warmer! Think jeans, boots, t under your cashmere turtleneck! In the city, you will be able to walk everywhere. A warm coat and hat is most important.