Suggested itienary for Yellowstone trip.

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggested itienary for Yellowstone trip.

We are a family of 5 traveling to Yellowstone in June. Can anyone tell me how much time we should plan to tour the park, view wildlife, and take in the whole experience?
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 11:07 AM

Obviously, it depends on what you mean by "the whole experience." However, I would that 4-5 days will afford you sufficient time to have a true Yellowstone experience. More time....all the better. If you are going to Yellowstone, you should definitely plan to include the Grand Teton National Park as well. For the two, figure 8-10 days for a glorious trip!
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 11:30 AM
GOL

Bordelons,
The more, the better as said.

The National Park Service publishes a very good trip planner. You can check out their web site at www.nps.gov\yell and order one via US mail.

Also, www.yellowstone-natl-park.com has a very active chat area that can give great advice.

The park is HUGE. The area is beautiful.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 12:00 PM

When I was planning our trip for June, I was amazed to learn how huge the park is -- something like 100 miles x 100 miles. With narrow roads in often bad condition and traffic jams for wildlife sightings, it can take hours to get anywhere. With that in mind, I booked 2 nights each in cabins at Old Faithful Lodge and Mammoth Hot Springs, each being on a different loop of the park. I would not stay fewer than four nights, as this is a one-time trip for us. When I made reservations early last December, many places were booked, so don't delay. Have a great trip!
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 09:56 PM

Old Faithful area will take about 2 days to see all the geysers in the area from Old Faithful to Norris.

Plan on a day trip down to the Grand Tetons.

One day in the Lake and West Thumb area.

One day in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and Tower Falls area.

One day in the Mammoth Hot Springs area.

If you want to see wildlife try to be around Hayden Valley early in the morning and/or at dusk. You will find wildlife everywhere but this is your best bet for seeing a big varity.

I also recommend staying in two or three different locations. We stayed in Roosevelt the first time we went and did the Stagecoach cookout trip and it was a blast.

If you have the time I also recommend a day trip out the Beartooth Highway to Red Lodge. This is the northwest entrance.

Utahtea
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 07:18 AM

I agree with the others who posted replys. A week in the area will allow time to get the overall experience under your belt and maybe pick out things for a more focused trip in the future. Making Jackson and Grand Teton your first stop is good advice,this is a very BIG place. I have only camped in these parks so I have no input on hotels, but Yellowstone has a lot of services. Wildlife is common,especially buffalo and elk and the Haydon Valley at dawn or dusk is the place to see bears,wolves and coyotes. There are a lot of moose in Grand Teton with a spetacular mountain setting. Be sure to see Old Faithful,Mammoth and the Norris Geyser Basin and take as many hikes as possible. The whole feel of these parks changes as soon as you get even a little bit away from the madding crowd.

Have good and safe trip.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 06:06 PM

Wanted to second the recommendations for the Beartooth Highway and Teton day trip ideas. Both are awesome and you will never forget them. I hate to see anyone get close to them and not see them.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Syv

Also see www.nps.gov website on Yellowstone for major road closure all season or see other posting about this -- search "road closure" or look under Wyoming posts.