Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What to do with one free Sunday in Ann Arbor - Detroit MI area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 04:22 AM
Owen O'Neill

I'll be in Ann Arbor MI on a Sat night in mid-May and my return flight out of Detroit isn't until early evening Sunday. Any suggestions for activities or sights to see in the general area? Good restaurant for dinner late Sunday afternoon? Let's rule out sporting events as they're of no interest to me but am open to all other suggestions. Thanks!

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 08:21 AM
Sandy

Greenfield Village/Henery Ford Museum might be worth your time.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 11:32 AM
ronr

I second the Greenfield Village/Henry Ford Museum idea for Sunday. Check out thier website:
www.hfmgv.org

Also, check out www.metrotimes.com for some restaurant choices. I can't make many personal recommendations, but there are some good choices in Ann Arbor.
Greenfield Village is in Dearborn - if you have any interest in trying Middle-Eastern Food, I would recommend a place called La Shish.

Ron

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 04:08 PM
He Hates ;Me

Stay in the Ann Arbor area and explore the campus area.. No shortage of good restaurants in Ann Arbor including Ghandi Dancer, Zingerman's Deli, Ashley's on State, and a variety of restaurants on Main Street..

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 05:20 PM
scigirl

Stay in Ann Arbor and explore. My recommendation: on Sunday morning head to the farmers market in near the Kerrytown shops (4th and Detroit streets). Across the street you can grab breakfast or lunch at Zingermans (reported to be one of the best deli in the USA). The farmers market is a local institution and a great place to pickup local stuff to take home (honey, maple syrup, etc. - if that is of any interest for you. Also great for people watching). The shops in the Kerrytown mall are interesting and fun to poke around in.

Main street has a lot of interesting restaurants, shops, and bars to occupy your Saturday evening. Ann Arbor is a great city for just walking around and exploring the downtown and campus areas. Pick up a copy of the Ann Arbor Observer to get a listing of local events. The Ark on mainstreet often has great preformers.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 05:46 AM
lisa

Owen: There is only one thing in Ann Arbor that you absolutely MUST do while you're there, and that is: go to Zingerman's. Once upon a time, the New York Times wrote it up as the best deli in the country outside of New York City (although I'm sure there are some delis around Miami that would beg to differ). It is an institution -- not just a deli but an importer of the best cheeses, olives, meats, vinegars, olive oils, etc. from all over the world. The sandwiches are fab. It is always crowded but it is worth the wait. Don't go when you're in a hurry.

For a nicer meal or particularly Sunday brunch, the Gandy Dancer is terrific -- an old train depot turned into a very nice restaurant. However, my absolute favorite breakfast spot is a more casual place (OK, it's basically a diner) called Angelo's -- with the best homemade raisin bread in the world.

There aren't really a lot of "sights" in Ann Arbor. The law school is lovely however, and if you peek your head into the reading room, it's pretty impressive.

Ann Arbor has a beautiful arboretum that is fun for walking, picnics, frisbee, etc.

The center of campus is the "diag" -- a leafy square surrounded by university buildings. Don't step on the big "M" in the middle of the diag -- it's bad luck.

Aside from Zingerman's, another institution on campus is Drake's candy store, an old-fashioned soda fountain type of place that hasn't changed since the 1950s (at least it hadn't the last time I was there -- I hope they haven't done anything to it since then).

My favorite dinner spot in Ann Arbor is the Cottage Inn, for pizza or Italian food -- very casual, but a nice atmosphere, and great food.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Ann Arbor -- I loved my student years there!

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 05:49 AM
lisa

Forgot to mention my other favorite haunt in Ann Arbor -- the Michigan Theatre. It is a big, beautiful old movie house and they often play classics there -- they change what's playing every couple of days or so. The interior has been restored and it's gorgeous -- and they often have an organ player before the shows. It's really wonderful.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Owen O'Neill

Sounds as though I should have fun. I'll be attending a concert at the Ark with friends on Sat. night and they plan to show me the parks etc on Sat. afternoon. It sounds as though there will be plenty to keep me busy for the day on Sunday - thanks to all for the great suggestions!