What to do with one day in Miami?

Jul 12th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

What to do with one day in Miami?

We have a 4 day family reunion in Delray Beach, FL in mid November. Taking our kids ages 16 and 13. We are from California. Would like to make a day trip to Miami and wondering if this is too much for one day:

South Beach/Art Deco area
Lincoln Mall
Viscaya Museum in Coral Gables
Everglades Alligator Farm or Shark Valley
Viewing some pretty beach(es). No time for swimming.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Jul 13th, 2004, 04:43 AM

Hi LeslieC!

That's going to be a busy day! I would do it in the reverse order. Get an early start. If going on a weekday and starting from Delray, avoid most of the traffic by taking 595 west to I-75, go south to the Florida Turnpike, go south to US41 (Tamiami Trail) then go west about 10 miles to any of the airboat operators out there.

I would eliminate Shark Valley as it would consume too much of your day.

Next, come back into town and go to Vizcaya. From there, it's just a few minutes over to South Beach & Lincoln Mall.

IMHO, the "prettiest" beach in the area is Ft. Lauderdale beach from Sunrise Blvd down to the park south of Las Olas Blvd. In addition to the beach, you have shops, restaurants, hotels and lots of opportunities for people-watching

November weather is usually nice with temps around 80 and little to no humidity. Enjoy your trip!
Jul 13th, 2004, 12:28 PM

Your list would take up a three day weekend, no kidding! Make it simple and more fun.

South Beach is really interesting and different. What teenager would not like to say they were in South Beach! I would spend part of the day walking around the art deco district. You could then go to Lincoln Road for lunch or dinner. The beach at South Beach has great water, a perfect light blue color. In November it is ideal. I would spend at least 2 hours going for a swim. You will love it.

Viscaya is beautiful but your children may get bored. The artwork is fantastic but probably only to you. Its also expensive, I think around $13. per person.

Shark Valley is not to be missed but it is too far...it is an all day trip. Forget the alligator farms, they are tourist traps and also too far away.

Remember..traveling north or south in morning or evening rush hour on route 95 can be a nightmare, avoid these times.
Jul 27th, 2004, 06:42 PM

I think your day is overly ambitious, I would see Shark Valley, omit Vizcaya and do an afternoon and dinner on South Beach. Shark Valley is great - we live in Miami and have taken all our visitors there over the years, and November's cooler weather is a good time to see alligators. There is a several mile loop you can walk, rent a bike or take a park bus tour. While you're in the area, stop on the way back at one of the airboat rides - the only true way to experience the Everglades. The Pit on the way out (Tamiami Trail) is a nasty looking hole in the wall with great BBQ and even has frog legs I believe. Spend the afternoon in South Beach checking out the country's largest concentration of art deco architecture, people watch from a sidewalk cafe (News Cafe is well known)- you might even spot some celebrities - or stroll the beach - be warned that topless is popular although not exactly legal. Lincoln Road isn't that special to me, some good restaurants but basically an outdoor mall (think Pottery Barn mixed with some galleries). I doubt your teens will be interested in Vizcaya, which is a beautiful old mansion and gardens but more somewhere I'd take my mom.

Search this Thread