Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What to do Southern California before late night flight out of L.A?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be checking out of out hotel on Coronado Island (San Diego) on a Friday at noon, our flight out of L.A. doesn't leave until 2:05 a.m. Saturday. We want to use our time to the maximum, but also don't want to be spending too much time in the car. Can anyone help me with some idyllic ideas?
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 05:56 PM
jd

We had a similar situation.We checked out of the Hotel Del at noon, went to Sea World for the afternoon, and then drove to La Jolla for dinner at Georges overlooking the cove.Great restaurant. We then walked around the shops and cove area before heading back to LAX. We were tired of driving so we returned the rental car, went to the airport and had a couple of drinks before our flight.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 06:21 PM

Go to the Getty Museum; it is open until 9 p.m. on Saturday. It will take 3 to 6 hours depending on how much you want to see. Go to the Encounter restaurant which is next to the airport for dinner. It is the building which looks like a space ship and has a space hip theme. The food is good; its been featured on the Food channel a couple of times.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Sea World and crowds are not for us, this trip at least. I have just been researching staying overnight on the Queen Mary in Long Beach on Friday night and taking the ferry to Catalina island for the day on Saturday. I'd like to visit the Encounter restaurant at LAX Saturday night(looks cool), but it's only open until 9pm which would leave us 5 hours before our flight.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 03:57 AM
jd

Now I'm confused. I thought your flight left at 2 am Sat.,which means you would not be able to stay anywhere Fri. nite. Did you mean 2 am Sun. If so, Catalina Island makes a great day trip.
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

JD, I guess I'm the one who's confused, duh...Yes, I meant to say we would stay on the QM Thursday night and do a day trip to Catalina on Friday, departing that night (2am Saturday) from LAX.