Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   What to do/see in San Francisco? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/what-to-do-see-in-san-francisco-446728/)

pinkzhippie Oct 15th, 2008 04:26 PM

What to do/see in San Francisco?

Hi!

I need advice! Help! I'm planning a trip of about 5 nights in S F. Would that duration be enough? What can I do in S F? Any info would be useful... as I'm from Singapore, I need to make the most of my stay!
Thanks!

PeaceOut Oct 15th, 2008 04:47 PM

5 nights in S.F. will be awesome.

But, you need to post more specific questions, so people can help.

There's so much to do in and near S.F. that you need to set some priorities, or you'll be overwhelmed with options.

Do you want to spend all the time in the city, or take some day-trips, see museums and art/architecture, plays?

Also, do you have a hotel yet? Is budget a concern?

P_M Oct 15th, 2008 04:48 PM

When are you going? I will be there from Oct 24-27, so after that I can make some suggestions.

pinkzhippie Oct 16th, 2008 09:27 PM

Hmm... I will be there in mid-December.

So far, I only have plans to visit the Gilroy/Vacaville Premium outlets.

Is Yosemite a viable day trip?

meo Oct 16th, 2008 10:05 PM

Do a search on Stu Dudley and look for his San Francisco recommendations. You'll find lots of excellent advice!

fun4all4 Oct 17th, 2008 04:44 AM

Here is a link to Stu's SF thread with tons on information:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35129049

FainaAgain Oct 17th, 2008 07:54 AM

Yosemite will be covered in snow with some roads closed. Are you used to icy mountain roads? You can take a one-day bus tour out of the city to Yosemite.

How old are you? What are your interests/hobbies?

If you really are a hippie, then Haight-Ashbury area is your "homebase" :)

MichelleY Oct 17th, 2008 08:06 AM

I think it would be a waste of time on your vacation to go to the Gilroy or Vacaville Premium Outlets.

suze Oct 17th, 2008 04:02 PM

I like the shopping around Union Square.

I like the restaurants at www.belden-place.com

I love riding the cable car from Market Street down to Fisherman's Wharf.

LoveItaly Oct 17th, 2008 06:19 PM

Hello pinkzhippie, may I suggest you not waste a day visiting the Vacaville Premium Outlets. I live in Vacaville and I am in walking distant to the Outlets.

There are a few stores that are worthwhile for kitchen items etc., but basically it is a waste of time. And as far as the clothing stores please be advised that the clothing is not the clothing that their main stores carry, they are clothes produced just for the Outlet stores in most cases.

elnap29 Oct 18th, 2008 09:09 AM

Yosemite is not a day trip. It is about a 4 -5 hr. drive from SF. You would need to spend 1 or 2 nights there.

I really think that in December you could arrive in SF and then see what you feel like doing, get advice from the hotel concierge, and then arrange any day trips that appeal to you. You might consider Napa Valley or Sonoma (Wine Country) or Monterey/Carmel/Point Lobos/Big Sur or Berkeley (University of California) or Muir Woods or Sausalito, etc. There is so much to do in SF, I really think you could play it by ear -unless you decide to go to Yosemite which would require lodging reservations.

Grassshopper Oct 18th, 2008 10:01 AM

I just took a work colleague from Singapore to SF for a day last week. The things that surprised and impressed her were squirrels, so many birds, seals and sea lions and the first glimpse of the long ocean beach coming around the curve by the Cliff House. (She said there is not so much animal/bird life everywhere in Singapore) She enjoyed driving over the bridge and up into the Marin Headlands. We continued on the little curvy road into the Headlands and visted the Marine Mammal Institute. She really liked the open park spaces. We were also lucky to be there when the Blue Angels were performing.

She was here (in Silicon Valley) and also insisted on a trip to the Gilroy outlets. I think she found them abit overwhelming. Realize that there are over 100 separate stores and they are a bit spread out. You need to know where you want to go and will likely need to drive to some of them.

I think the day trip she enjoyed the most was to Monterey and Carmel. The little houses in Carmel were a surprise for her and she loved walking the coastal walk in Pacific Grove. We went to Point Lobos where she enjoyed the tide pools and more sealions (and otters). We ate outside on the cliffs of Rocky Point.

She did a lot less shopping than she had expected and didn't find prices in San Francisco very friendly.

Be sure to get out onto the water, either by taking a ferry to Sausalito or a Bay Cruise.

StuDudley Oct 18th, 2008 02:09 PM

Gee - I sure would not waste any time at the Gilroy outlets. They have clothing shops where you live, but perhaps not a city like San Francisco, our bay, ocean, neighborhoods, sites, restaurants, museums, parks, etc. If you head north or south, you'll see redwood trees, magnificent coastline, deer & other wildlife, vineyards, etc. Gilroy outlets will consume an entire day, since you really don't want to leave SF till after the rush traffic is finished - around 9:30 or 10. You'll get to the outlets around noon, shop for 3-4 hrs - and return just when the evening rush hour traffic starts. That's an entire day, and one-fifth of your 5 days. I would use that time to head north to Sonoma Co or Napa valley (winegrowing areas), or along the coast.

Stu Dudley

Ronda Oct 18th, 2008 03:33 PM

I see this is your first post on Fodors pinkzhippie, so welcome. I think no matter what your age, you will be able to fill 5 days in San Francisco with interesting activities and shopping.

Let us know a little about your interests and budget so we can better help you make the most of your stay.

ddschur Oct 24th, 2008 06:21 PM

OK...definitive wonderful evening out!

Go to the North Beach Restaurant (Italian food) for dinner (actually a lot of restaurants in the area), followed by tickets to "Beach Blanket Babylon"...a true San Francisco Treat...should NOT be missed. It is really a fun show and topical and a San Francisco institution.

After the show, go to either Cafe Grecco or Cafe Puccini for expresso!

Restaurant to theater, ~1/2 block and theater to coffee shops ~1/2 block...all very easy to walk and you will have enjoyed a truly fun night!

howefortunate Oct 25th, 2008 06:42 AM

I would suggest visiting the Wine Country. It's 2 hours or less from San Francisco. The scenery is beautiful and you can sample some great wines. For more info on winetasting in California visit: http://www.cheers2wine.com.

If you enjoy hiking, visit Pt. Reyes National Seashore north of San Francisco.

See a play while in San Francisco, take the ferry ride from the downtown ferry building to Sausilito, walk across the Golden Gate Bridge, and shop the outlets in San Francisco (here's a link to factory outlets: http://www.insiderpages.com/s/CA/San...FactoryOutlets)

Have fun!